I Love a Parade

B-Man

TRUMP’S PARADE: GREATEST TROLL EVER?

What a great headline: Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade. It is almost too good to be true:

President Donald Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

Trump has long mused publicly and privately about wanting such a parade, but a Jan. 18 meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top-secret discussions — marked a tipping point, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Surrounded by the military’s highest-ranking officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford, Trump’s seemingly abstract desire for a parade was suddenly heard as a presidential directive, the officials said.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

President Trump has a unique ability to make liberal heads explode. You can see this one coming: libs will ramp up their use of the F-word, while normal Americans will wonder what is wrong with a parade:

A date has not been selected, although officials said Trump would like to tie the parade to a patriotic holiday.

Of course he would! That only makes it worse, for the Left. While liberals may not be traitors, as the president suggested in a moment of levity, most of them are not very patriotic. So a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue, reminiscent of the Grand Review of the Armies at the end of the Civil War, will send liberals into a tizzy that the rest of us can enjoy.

Where did Trump get the idea of a military parade? From France:

The inspiration for Trump’s push is last year’s Bastille Day celebration in Paris, which the president attended as a guest of French President Emmanuel Macron. Trump was awe-struck by the tableau of uniformed French troops marching down Avenue des Champs-Élysées with military tanks, armored vehicles, gun trucks and carriers — complete with F-16 fighter jets flying over the Arc de Triomphe and painting the sky with streaks of blue, white and red smoke.

https-s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com-maven-user-photos-theintellectualist-news-2EW75jPX_ky3pYPL8WbbDA-ctcsaHRNl0WKoQMuWemaiQ.jpeg?resize=550%2C393

But wait! Aren’t the French sophisticated Europeans of the sort that liberals want the U.S. to emulate? If they can have a military parade, why can’t we? No doubt liberals will come up with an answer to that question; it will be entertaining to see what it is. As Steve likes to say, get out the popcorn!

386?cb=20151023220348

• Like (+1) 1

Do you care what it costs?  If he offers to pay for it out of his own pocket, as well as the additional security required, I have no problem having a parade.  I do have a problem spending money that we hear from politicians that we do not have to waste.

And, as the world's most powerful military, do we really need to prove to any of our adversaries that we have powerful weapons?  If not, what is the need for the parade given we've gotten by without military parades for what, decades??

From Jon Gabriel:

Military parades like this are uncommon in recent history, but certainly not unheard of. Presidents Truman and Kennedy featured military hardware in their inaugural parades. Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton had fighter jets scream through the sky for their inaugurations. The elder Bush also had a DC military parade to celebrate victory following the Gulf War.

The Washington Post broke this story about 90 minutes ago and, ever since, social media has exploded in outrage. (Examples at the link)

But since this is Trump’s idea, I think we all know how it will go down. Nearly everyone from political and media castes will deride this idea, comparing Trump to Hitler. In an effort to impress their woke friends, several prominent voices will go too far by savagely denigrating the military itself. Then the American people will be polled and we’ll find out that they like the idea.

It’s the NFL protests all over again.

I’m a veteran who’s not thrilled about a big parade. Everyone on earth knows that America has the biggest, baddest military the world has ever seen — we don’t need to brag. And with a $20 trillion debt, I’d rather the money not be spent on chest-beating hoopla. But the average American doesn’t care about our shaky finances and adores our military.

A grand military display is poor economics, but I predict it will be smart politics heading into the midterms. Trump is once again Lucy from Peanuts setting up the football and the press is Charlie Brown, falling tail over tea kettle into another puddle of mud.

https://ricochet.com/493547/trumps-idea-military-parade-sets-democrats-another-fall/

Report: Trump wants a big-ass military parade in Washington

This is a MAGA instant classic, not just because it’s Trump at his Trumpiest but because his supporters are already dividing on Twitter into two camps in his defense. 

more at the link:

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

And, as the world's most powerful military, do we really need to prove to any of our adversaries that we have powerful weapons?  If not, what is the need for the parade given we've gotten by without military parades for what, decades??

Have you never attended a Memorial Day parade?

4 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Do you care what it costs?  If he offers to pay for it out of his own pocket, as well as the additional security required, I have no problem having a parade.  I do have a problem spending money that we hear from politicians that we do not have to waste.

hahahahaha!

Edited by OJABBA

7 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Do you care what it costs?  If he offers to pay for it out of his own pocket, as well as the additional security required

I agree with the first statement.  A rather frivolous use of taxpayer funds

I wholeheartedly disagree with the second statement.  An individual or group funding anything for the military implies the military is in their private service.  

I have a better idea.  Something like a Federal Kickstarter.  Trump ask Congress for legislation to open up a parade Trust.  Anyone (American.  Canadian.  Mexican.  Black.  White.  Brown.  Yellow.  Straight.  Gay.  Male.  Female.  Transgender.  Citizens.  Illegal Aliens.  Klingons) can contribute any amount they want.  I betcha they have enough for a Yuuuuuuuge Parade with money leftover to donate to the VA

Jet pilots have to fly for training hours, the soldiers and sailors who march are on active duty. The labor costs for any event like this is already baked into the budget. Trump wants to let his freak flag fly. Sounds good to me. 

I remember when they stopped using the military in Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veterans Day parades. They became shadows of what they used to be. Firemen and fire trucks and Brownies and Cub Scouts just don’t have the gravitas that carbine carrying troops in formation and rows of tanks do. 

It it should be a splendid show. Let the Left rail and wring their hands and scream at the sky. They can all faint and get covered in confetti and their own tears. My God! The troops will be carrying real guns! Oh, the horror. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

2 things.... First, there is no additional cost for the military since they are paid whether they have a parade, or they sit on their hands.... Second, security? Are you serious? For the military?

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

President Donald Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

I may be wrong, but the only time I have seen this is in 2nd and 3rd world countries.   

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

A really dumb idea.

Want to honor the  military?

Give those who have nothing to do, the same ones who would be in this thing,  the day off.

If you asked them, as a veteran I could tell you they would want the parade. Memorial Day, Veterans Day, or the 4th would be best

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You are wrong.

Link?     

I'm interested to see it.   One ordered by the Potus that is with tanks and missile launchers and ATV's etc 

the man wants to shut down the government again and  then calls for a parade?  

Is he paying for it all?  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Link?     

I'm interested to see it.   One ordered by the Potus that is with tanks and missile launchers and ATV's etc 

Are you this intellectually lazy?  Every single outlet claims that Trump's inspiration for the parade came from his recent visit to France.

But thanks for introducing a new topic on whether France is a 3rd world country. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Are you this intellectually lazy?  Every single outlet claims that Trump's inspiration for the parade came from his recent visit to France.

But thanks for introducing a new topic on whether France is a 3rd world country. 

speaking of lazy     2nd and 3rd 

theses are what one would call    -   the tiny dick syndrome    

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

speaking of lazy     2nd and 3rd 

theses are what one would call    -   the tiny dick syndrome    

Can you define the 2nd & 3rd world?