tax prep software

wnysteel

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Starbucks_RBC6052(1).jpg

No, he wasn’t an english or philosophy major who forgot to get the law degree. 

A couple of hours ago my wife reminded me of a trip we took to an (apparently family run) resort an hour or so from here. My wife ordered a latte at one point. As we were leaving the young lady serving us asked how it was. My wife said it was just fine, thank you. The girl responded “Oh, good, because I had to google how to make it”. Sometimes you can be too honest! 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

My father felt that way.  I/we completely disagree. We don’t want to owe anyone anything. The CPA is right, and we won’t pay off our modest mortgage to have ZERO debt, but it has a certain appeal. Just today we put in an offer on a great townhouse that we will rent to our son and a roommate. Georgeous place on the Beltline in Atlanta. Nice investment for us, and he/they will help us pay for it. 

It’s not like the early 80’s where I could be making 18% on my cash while we wait for the last minute. It’s just not worth the anguish for the minimal return. Still, it’s a good problem to have. 

i dunno. i understand the thought process of not wanting to owe but the other side of the coin is a far more attractive option in my opinion. I am a business owner and as such I have to pay estimated tax throughout the year. unfortunately, there is no way around that. the way it works, at least for me is to over pay one year, under pay the next. i try to keep a pretty good grip on the net income and it's projection so that on those years when i am overpaying, i don't give them too much.

now if i was a W-2 filer, i would much rather have my money in my pocket weekly than the governments. there are things i can do with that money to garner even more to pay whatever i owe at the end of the year. 

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

i dunno. i understand the thought process of not wanting to owe but the other side of the coin is a far more attractive option in my opinion. I am a business owner and as such I have to pay estimated tax throughout the year. unfortunately, there is no way around that. the way it works, at least for me is to over pay one year, under pay the next. i try to keep a pretty good grip on the net income and it's projection so that on those years when i am overpaying, i don't give them too much.

now if i was a W-2 filer, i would much rather have my money in my pocket weekly than the governments. there are things i can do with that money to garner even more to pay whatever i owe at the end of the year. 

My wife gets a W-2 from the bank, but most of the income is in the bonuses, and they fluctuate wildly. If you break through to a new percentage threshold at the end of the year (or really into the beginning of the new year), it can completely change the picture. Oh well, good problem to have, but we just hate writing what are to us very big checks! 

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Filed through a tax pro two weeks ago, already got my federal back, but NY sent me a letter. They want proof I worked last year, they want to see my W-2’s. 

You work??