Star Wars - Solo movie thread

Just Jack

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I am far more interested in a Boba Fett movie than Obi Wan.

I'm waiting for the Porkins origin film

We know how it ends

fb9fb3_534600.jpg

But how did it begin?

Edited by /dev/null

I haven't seen it, but I heard a youtube reviewer say Han Solo had a completely different personality without the cavalier attitude that defined his character, and that he spent most of the movie getting pushed around.

I'm curious if those who saw it agree with that take.

4 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I haven't seen it, but I heard a youtube reviewer say Han Solo had a completely different personality without the cavalier attitude that defined his character, and that he spent most of the movie getting pushed around.

I'm curious if those who saw it agree with that take.

The explanation from the studio is that Han is supposed to evolve into the scoundrel and starts the movie as some pathetic rube. If it's supposed to be an evolution, then they only just started him on the path... because of what he did at the end.

Personally, I thought he smiled too much.

6 hours ago, shrader said:

I think they're trying to play to both sides with these droids.  On one hand, they can see "see, we're being more inclusive", but at the same time in response to those who complain "hey, it's just a robot".

I used to believe that C3P0 and R2D2 were special droids that acted more human, because the movies showed other droids acting more robotic. It wasn't until Rogue one and Solo did this illusion get shattered.

Why would anyone create sassy, rebellious droids on purpose? Are they actually a race like transformers?

50 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The explanation from the studio is that Han is supposed to evolve into the scoundrel and starts the movie as some pathetic rube. If it's supposed to be an evolution, then they only just started him on the path... because of what he did at the end.

Personally, I thought he smiled too much.

I used to believe that C3P0 and R2D2 were special droids that acted more human, because the movies showed other droids acting more robotic. It wasn't until Rogue one and Solo did this illusion get shattered.

Why would anyone create sassy, rebellious droids on purpose? Are they actually a race like transformers?

Yeah...that was the whole point of Beckett. Helping mold Han into the guy we were originally introduced to.

The droids develop their personality as long as they're programmed to do so. That's already occurring in the AI field in real life. Software that learns.

Lando mentions in the movie that he could wipe L3-37's memory or whatever, and she would lose the personality.

I believe Luke or C3PO says something similar to R2 in ANH.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

In Rogue 1 and Solo, they've tried to portray droids as more human-like entities while their organic counterparts have a greater emotional attachment to them.

I agree that it gets weird in Solo. If they're trying to make the audience a little uncomfortable, it probably worked for most who were paying attention.

It's certainly not a new theme in the sci-fi genre and I think it belongs in the Star Wars movies. My issue with L3-37 was that her "emotions" seemed too gimmicky or jokey. They could have portrayed her feelings in a more subtle and serious way.

I fully agree with your last statement.

The way L3-37 was going, I was expecting her to start singing "This is my Fight Song".

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I believe Luke or C3PO says something similar to R2 in ANH.

These Astro droids are getting quite out of hand

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Lando mentions in the movie that he could wipe L3-37's memory or whatever, and she would lose the personality.

They named a droid character L3-37? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Really Disney, you couldn't hire better writers or producers that could come up with a more original name? 

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I thought Rogue One was maybe the best Star Wars movie since the original 3 films.  I'm a little frustrated with the way the new franchise is approaching Kylo Ren.  But then again, no villain could ever truly live up to Vader.

What I think winds up working for Rogue One was that they were working with completely new characters who needed to be developed from scratch.  It makes for better story telling.  Sure there were a few people with some history, but they were such minor characters in the overall picture of that movie.  I wish they could find a way to make more stand alone stories like Rouge One instead of the prequel origin stories.  It doesn't look like they have any plans for that though.

There were a bunch of new people in Force Awakens, but they've still got the shadow of all of the original characters looming largely over them.  That movie felt like it was more about the big 3 than it was about the new cast.  Maybe they'll be able to get away from that in the third movie given what they've done in the past two.  I'm not so sure that's possible at this point though.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Lurker said:

Haven't seen it yet, and don't really plan to.

The Disney acquisition has really turned me off.    IMO, their focus is about sucking as much money as humanly possible from the franchise, with little interest in quality or fanbase sentiment.   

Lucus may have been a nutcase, but he was in it for the fans, not just the box office receipts...

The original trilogy was great, but the prequel trilogy was disappointing. I'll take any of the Disney Star Wars films over those three.

• 1 month later...