Star Wars - Solo movie thread

Just Jack

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I always boycott opening weekends anyway.  Theaters barely get any cut of the gate opening week, and I'd rather support local theaters than the studio cash machines.

I avoid opening weekend because the theatres are always packed full of idiots

Solo's box office was even worse than the twice lowered projections. 3 day haul was in the 85mill range and barely over 100mil for the 4 day holiday weekend. Overseas box office was even worse. It's not going to get saved by Europe or China. A 250 million budget with an estimated 400mil total spent(with ads), its going to be difficult for it to break even if it rebounds.   Overall, it's projected in the 600 to 800 million range worldwide (with half going to local theaters; less than half the cut in overseas theaters)

The overall word of mouth is that it's boring. Interesting to see if the boycott holds or if everyone was just waiting for the 2nd weekend.

Edited by unbillievable

I saw it on Saturday.  It was decent, but nothing special.  My one big issue was that I wish they had went with a different idea for the main scenes with the Falcon flying around.  It was next to impossible to see anything in that scene.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:25 AM, LeGOATski said:

I'd be kinda surprised if they made another Solo. These are supposed to be stand-alone films. We should see Boba Fett and Obi Wan films with that same behind-the-scenes Sith villain.

And the next trilogy is Rian Johnson's.

I understand that. I'm just going by what I had read.

I am far more interested in a Boba Fett movie than Obi Wan.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:05 AM, GETTOTHE50 said:

it wasn’t great, wasn’t good, wasn’t terrible. 

some genuine Star Wars scenes, partically with Han and Chewi flying the falcon. They were on there. 

wish they used more of the original trilogy score. I found the soundtrack jarring.

also: if you’re gonna give Chewy that much screen time and lines with him speaking in Wookiee language, then please at least put up subtitles. I’m curious to see what he’s actually saying. Diznee portrayed him as an imbecile. 

the movie wasn’t about Han, it was about his gf. Disappointed the film wasn’t based around him, as much as it was about his relationship.

i don’t get how Lando is interested in a robot. he legitamately... loved.. a...robot....ok..... the scene where he’s trying to save whatever is left of it is bizarre. was that suppose to be serious? 

Asides from that, I don’t care for the kissing scenes, I think Han could have been rougher around the edges. More pissed. 

Space scene was great, hyper space was amazing. The cockpit looked like a toy store. 

How was Chewbacca portrayed as an imbecile?

That scene with Lando was awkward. I didn't get it at all. Unless it was just the droid's database that he was concerned about, which proved to be helpful. Still....bizarre scene.

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That scene with Lando was awkward. I didn't get it at all. Unless it was just the droid's database that he was concerned about, which proved to be helpful. Still....bizarre scene.

In Rogue 1 and Solo, they've tried to portray droids as more human-like entities while their organic counterparts have a greater emotional attachment to them.

I agree that it gets weird in Solo. If they're trying to make the audience a little uncomfortable, it probably worked for most who were paying attention.

It's certainly not a new theme in the sci-fi genre and I think it belongs in the Star Wars movies. My issue with L3-37 was that her "emotions" seemed too gimmicky or jokey. They could have portrayed her feelings in a more subtle and serious way.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

In Rogue 1 and Solo, they've tried to portray droids as more human-like entities while their organic counterparts have a greater emotional attachment to them.

I agree that it gets weird in Solo. If they're trying to make the audience a little uncomfortable, it probably worked for most who were paying attention.

It's certainly not a new theme in the sci-fi genre and I think it belongs in the Star Wars movies. My issue with L3-37 was that her "emotions" seemed too gimmicky or jokey. They could have portrayed her feelings in a more subtle and serious way.

I think they're trying to play to both sides with these droids.  On one hand, they can see "see, we're being more inclusive", but at the same time in response to those who complain "hey, it's just a robot".

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, it's an awesome movie. You should go see it.

I think Disney's killed it with the two side stories, Rogue One and Solo. Can't wait for the next one.

I really really liked Rogue One... maybe more than the newest 2 Star Wars movies in the series.

How does Solo compare with that?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I really really liked Rogue One... maybe more than the newest 2 Star Wars movies in the series.

How does Solo compare with that?

It seems to be a pretty polarizing movie, so far, so Idk how you'll like it.

For me, it was not as good as Rogue 1, but I still liked it very much. I put it on par with the Force Awakens.

These stand-alones are not supposed to just fit in to the Star Wars universe, but it's also add to it in a significant way. 

Solo does that.

Honestly, I'm not hard to please. As long as it's entertaining and satisfies my average expectations for a Star Wars story, I'm going to love it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2018 at 2:44 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Opening weekend sales are underwhelming from what I have heard. 

They are, however, word of mouth is positive. Cinemascore grade was an "A-".

On 5/27/2018 at 8:13 PM, Rico said:

I saw it late Thursday night at 11 PM, using MoviePass so no 3D/Imax/Dolby Cinema viewings were available, maybe 10 people tops inside. The movie was fun, but every scene looked like crap, so dark, I kept almost nodding off through-out. I may go tomorrow again & watch it in Dolby.

Ok, so it just wasn't my perspective of it being dark?

The movie looked like it had been shot with sunglasses over the camera. I thought that David Fincher had directed it.

I was wondering if it was the digital projector that was causing that. Did this movie look very dark to anyone else?

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

It seems to be a pretty polarizing movie, so far, so Idk how you'll like it.

For me, it was not as good as Rogue 1, but I still liked it very much. I put it on par with the Force Awakens.

These stand-alones are not supposed to just fit in to the Star Wars universe, but it's also add to it in a significant way. 

Solo does that.

Honestly, I'm not hard to please. As long as it's entertaining and satisfies my average expectations for a Star Wars story, I'm going to love it.

I can separate it from the Star Wars franchise in a lot of ways, as long as whatever it does try to tie in generally makes sense.

I understand that this is really only supposed to be a tangent to the Star Wars storyline and, from what I've heard, is more light-hearted and humorous than the other Star Wars films (which makes sense, considering the character) and more of a caper film.

Does it pull those things off pretty well?  If it does, I should be happy.

I thought Rogue One was maybe the best Star Wars movie since the original 3 films.  I'm a little frustrated with the way the new franchise is approaching Kylo Ren.  But then again, no villain could ever truly live up to Vader.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think they're trying to play to both sides with these droids.  On one hand, they can see "see, we're being more inclusive", but at the same time in response to those who complain "hey, it's just a robot".

Yeah, that could be. If they're insincere about anything, it's gonna show.

For all we know, the failure of that subplot may have been a product of the Lord to Howard transition.

Haven't seen it yet, and don't really plan to.

The Disney acquisition has really turned me off.    IMO, their focus is about sucking as much money as humanly possible from the franchise, with little interest in quality or fanbase sentiment.   

Lucus may have been a nutcase, but he was in it for the fans, not just the box office receipts...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I was wondering if it was the digital projector that was causing that. Did this movie look very dark to anyone else?

It did not.

When the first poster mentioned that, I figured it was a problem with the theater.

31 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Well with regards to Chewbacca, maybe imbecile wasn’t the best choice of a word.

But I do think they made a mockery out of him.

Dont get me wrong, Chewys magic works well in the brief comedic moments where you don’t know what he’s saying, but still gets the point across. 

However, subtitles were definitely needed for the heart to heart he had with Han. Otherwise, now please forgive me for this, he comes off as someone mentally retarded who can’t speak coherently, when in fact he’s actually very intelligent. 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Haven't seen it yet, and don't really plan to.

The Disney acquisition has really turned me off.    IMO, their focus is about sucking as much money as humanly possible from the franchise, with little interest in quality or fanbase sentiment.   

Lucus may have been a nutcase, but he was in it for the fans, not just the box office receipts...

100%.

i think it shows with how they are rushing the release of the movies 

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can separate it from the Star Wars franchise in a lot of ways, as long as whatever it does try to tie in generally makes sense.

I understand that this is really only supposed to be a tangent to the Star Wars storyline and, from what I've heard, is more light-hearted and humorous than the other Star Wars films (which makes sense, considering the character) and more of a caper film.

Does it pull those things off pretty well?  If it does, I should be happy.

I thought Rogue One was maybe the best Star Wars movie since the original 3 films.  I'm a little frustrated with the way the new franchise is approaching Kylo Ren.  But then again, no villain could ever truly live up to Vader.

There's plenty of light-hearted fun and action. I assume it will be entertaining enough. It's a satisfying Solo origin story, for sure, and there's an exciting tie-in (assumed) to the next stand-alone movies (Boba Fett and Obi Wan).

I'm waiting for the third movie to judge the Kylo Ren treatment, I guess. I mean, he's supposed to be immature and he was broken by the betrayal of master. No one should blame him for being easily manipulated by Snoke. So far, the way they've portrayed him makes sense to me. I like it.

Luke is the most annoying to me. He seems to always have the right intuition, but then fails with how he acts upon it.

9 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Well with regards to Chewbacca, maybe imbecile wasn’t the best choice of a word.

But I do think they made a mockery out of him.

Dont get me wrong, Chewys magic works well in the brief comedic moments where you don’t know what he’s saying, but still gets the point across. 

However, subtitles were definitely needed for the heart to heart he had with Han. Otherwise, now please forgive me for this, he comes off as someone mentally retarded who can’t speak coherently, when in fact he’s actually very intelligent.  

I can't relate to this at all.

That heart to heart moment worked. There was nothing lost on me.

Chewie came off as intelligent, honorable, and valuable. Sure, he sucks at holo-chess and has a short temper. Strategic thinking has never been a character trait for him.

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I can't relate to this at all.

That heart to heart moment worked. There was nothing lost on me.

Chewie came off as intelligent, honorable, and valuable. Sure, he sucks at holo-chess and has a short temper. Strategic thinking has never been a character trait for him.

Ah well, we will have to agree to disagree on that scene then