Star Wars - Solo movie thread

Just Jack

14 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

A much better trailer, imo.  Although I'm still not sold on Alden Ehrenreich as Han.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is an excellent actor, in Stoker or Hail Caesar! I was a fan.... but...

To me, his voice doesn't fit with Han so far.  Granted, I watched it on crappy laptop speakers, so it's possible that with better sound it might not be an issue to me anymore.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

To me, his voice doesn't fit with Han so far.  Granted, I watched it on crappy laptop speakers, so it's possible that with better sound it might not be an issue to me anymore.

One of the consistent hallmarks in all Star Wars movies to date, IMO, is horrible casting combined with pretty bad acting.  A few good actors have been sprinkled in here and there, but it hasn't been enough to right the ship.  

E.g., who saw the kid who played 8 year old Darth Vader (who did the pod race scene) and thought "this is the one"?

There were probably 10 trillion kids trying out for that part--and they picked THAT kid? 

But then the actual pod race scene (and the pod racers) were pretty cool!  You have to take the good with the bad with Star Wars.

On April 9, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Just Jack said:

New trailer

The Millennium Falcon, for some reason, is every Star Wars geek's favorite Star Wars vehicle.

So did everyone catch the new design (old design?) to the ship in this trailer?

The gap between the two large triangular "pincers" at the front of the ship is not there.  It's filled in with ship.

Very clever move.  This will require every Star Wars geek on the planet to get the new M.F. collectible stuff/model kits/Lego sets and this alone may well be good for $1 billion in global merchandising sales.

Smart! 

Untitled.png

Han-Solo-Movie-New-Millennium-Falcon.jpg

Edited by Fadingpain

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The Millennium Falcon, for some reason, is every Star Wars geek's favorite Star Wars vehicle.

The gap between the two large triangular "pincers" at the front of the ship is not there.  It's filled in with ship.

Very clever move.  This will require every Star Wars geek on the planet to get the new M.F. collectible stuff/model kits/Lego sets and this alone may well be good for $1 billion in global merchandising sales.

And the true nerds among the group will be pouring over the internet trying to find out when and why the change happens.  I hope it's so simple as drunk Han crashing the ship into a space pole.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 4/10/2018 at 9:12 AM, shrader said:

I agree about the voice.  And he doesn't seem to be SMARMY enough, COCKSURE enough.  Two oldschool adjectives which I think describe Harrison Ford-Solo perfectly.

But, like I said before, the dude is a good actor, so we'll see.  And it's only just a two minute trailer.  It just kinda looks to me like the movie will be pretty good and entertaining, but his performance will kind of take the wind out of the sails, so to speak.

I hope I'm wrong!

On 4/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, Fadingpain said:

Smart! 

Untitled.png

Han-Solo-Movie-New-Millennium-Falcon.jpg

Mine's always been Slave I. 

The Millennium Falcon is iconic, though. This re-imagining of what it originally looked like does not look natural. But I'm guessing that nose helped with aerodynamics and provided more space to smuggle stuff.

• 1 month later...
On April 12, 2018 at 7:08 AM, LeGOATski said:

Mine's always been Slave I. 

The Millennium Falcon is iconic, though. This re-imagining of what it originally looked like does not look natural. But I'm guessing that nose helped with aerodynamics and provided more space to smuggle stuff.

I do realize that the M.F. is capable of atmospheric flight on various planets, but "aerodynamics" are not really that important on a space ship.  :P

I agree it does not look natural and also agree that the Slave 1 was really cool.  That and Boba Fett have always been two fan favorites, or at least it always seems that way.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:45 PM, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, it's an awesome movie. You should go see it.

I think Disney's killed it with the two side stories, Rogue One and Solo. Can't wait for the next one.

I have to agree.

I went into seeing this movie with modest expectations. The changing of director while it was still filming made me nervous. Then the rumors that it would be pushed back to December.

Now that I've seen it, I enjoyed it very much. This was a fine addition into the Star Wars universe. The movie was a bit slow at the start, but it really kicked in as it went on.

Donald Glover really stole the show as Lando, good roles by Woody Harrelson & Paul Bettany as well. Alden Ehrenreich did a fine job too.

Then of course there is that one scene late in the movie that comes out of nowhere. You know what I'm talking about. Well played.

From what I have read, they want to make more Solo movies. I say, Go for it!

Edited by Mark Vader

Saw it today.

Han Solo was the worst character in the movie, which includes the SJW droid.

Donald Glover was by far the best, and Woody was his usual entertaining self. Paul Bettany and Emelia Clarke suffered from being too recognizable as other characters, but that could just be me. They were okay in their roles.

The "surprise" made no sense to me. Maybe I need to watch the tv series'. Overall the 2nd best movie of the 4 recent Star Wars movies, behind Rogue One. I would recommend it as a rental.

***spoiler***

I don't get why the marauder removing her helmet was so dramatic. Is she important?

Edited by unbillievable

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I have to agree.

I went into seeing this movie with modest expectations. The changing of director while it was still filming made me nervous. Then the rumors that it would be pushed back to December.

Now that I've seen it, I enjoyed it very much. This was a fine addition into the Star Wars universe. The movie was a bit slow at the start, but it really kicked in as it went on.

Donald Glover really stole the show as Lando, good roles by Woody Harrelson & Paul Bettany as well. Alden Ehrenreich did a fine job too.

Then of course there is that one scene late in the movie that comes out of nowhere. You know what I'm talking about. Well played.

From what I have read, they want to make more Solo movies. I say, Go for it!

I'd be kinda surprised if they made another Solo. These are supposed to be stand-alone films. We should see Boba Fett and Obi Wan films with that same behind-the-scenes Sith villain.

And the next trilogy is Rian Johnson's.

it wasn’t great, wasn’t good, wasn’t terrible. 

some genuine Star Wars scenes, partically with Han and Chewi flying the falcon. They were on there. 

wish they used more of the original trilogy score. I found the soundtrack jarring.

also: if you’re gonna give Chewy that much screen time and lines with him speaking in Wookiee language, then please at least put up subtitles. I’m curious to see what he’s actually saying. Diznee portrayed him as an imbecile. 

the movie wasn’t about Han, it was about his gf. Disappointed the film wasn’t based around him, as much as it was about his relationship.

i don’t get how Lando is interested in a robot. he legitamately... loved.. a...robot....ok..... the scene where he’s trying to save whatever is left of it is bizarre. was that suppose to be serious? 

Asides from that, I don’t care for the kissing scenes, I think Han could have been rougher around the edges. More pissed. 

Space scene was great, hyper space was amazing. The cockpit looked like a toy store. 

I saw it late Thursday night at 11 PM, using MoviePass so no 3D/Imax/Dolby Cinema viewings were available, maybe 10 people tops inside. The movie was fun, but every scene looked like crap, so dark, I kept almost nodding off through-out. I may go tomorrow again & watch it in Dolby.

21 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Opening weekend sales are underwhelming from what I have heard. 

I don't know how widespread it is, but there seems to be a movement afoot on Youtube, among Star Wars geek content providers, urging the boycott of the film entirely, or at least during the opening weekend.

They seem to be trying to get this woman at Disney who is in charge of Star Wars fired so the franchise can go in a better direction.

52 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't know how widespread it is, but there seems to be a movement afoot on Youtube, among Star Wars geek content providers, urging the boycott of the film entirely, or at least during the opening weekend.

They seem to be trying to get this woman at Disney who is in charge of Star Wars fired so the franchise can go in a better direction.

It's all about the directors, IMO. If I were them, I'd be focused on getting Rian Johnson booted. Episode 8 sucked and he's getting another trilogy...

?

56 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I always boycott opening weekends anyway.  Theaters barely get any cut of the gate opening week, and I'd rather support local theaters than the studio cash machines.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Jedi mind control not working on the Disney execs?...

And I sincerely doubt Disney is going 'belly up' anytime soon.  I won't be losing much sleep over an underwhelming opening weekend.  They might have to auction off the Mickey mascot's Jedi costume.