A tale of two Dougs...

eball

Wow, this game really highlighted why Doug Pederson has got a hell of a future as a HC (and should set an example for all coaches to follow) and why Doug Marrone, despite his strengths, is likely doomed to mediocrity.

Pederson coached to win; he was aggressive but not reckless and exhibited keen insight into what was happening in the game.  I really hope our coaching staff -- primarily McD and Daboll -- took note and we see Buffalo play with that sort of mindset going forward.

Compare and contrast how Doug Marrone's team completely tightened up in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship game.

I think Marrone will always have a team that is disciplined, tough, and in a position to compete, but at least at this point in his career Marrone doesn't have either the confidence or the situational awareness necessary to take the next step.

Eagles fans have to be feeling great not only about the SB win, but about who they have leading the organization for many years to come.

Edited by eball

I loved the call to go for it on 4th and one with 5:45 or so to go at their own 40 or so

Thats what you have to do against Belly and TB12

The shoe wound up on the other foot with the Pats burning timeouts to preserve the clock...well done.

47 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The TD attempt wasn't nearly as reckless as the going for it on your own 40. He's INCREDIBLY fortunate that worked.

See, that's just what EBall was saying about Marrone. Traditional thinking says that's a reckless decision, Philly and their analytics team said that was a go. They actually use analytics to their advantage, and smart coached moving forward will do the same. 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

See, that's just what EBall was saying about Marrone. Traditional thinking says that's a reckless decision, Philly and their analytics team said that was a go. They actually use analytics to their advantage, and smart coached moving forward will do the same. 

Be honest:

If it had failed and cost the Eagles the game would you be here saying it was smart?

Just now, joesixpack said:

Be honest:

If it had failed and cost the Eagles the game would you be here saying it was smart?

Absolutely..if we could go back on this board to the time BB went for it on 4th in the Colt game, I was praising it then, even though they failed to convert and Colts win game.Even last night, before they went for it, I said go for it, worst case scenario you go down eight, but even worse would be TB never giving you the ball back.He is the best QB to ever play the game, i dont want him having the chance to dictate the game outcome.

There are going to be times going for it on 4th does not work, there are way more times punting the ball you never get the ball back.

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Be honest:

If they punt pats score.    If they get stuffed pats score.      Gotta say going for it has the only possible positive outcome.    

Gotta take risks to win. 

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

If they punt pats score.    If they get stuffed pats score.      Gotta say going for it has the only possible positive outcome.    

Gotta take risks to win. 

Easy to say when it isn't YOUR team playing like that.

McDermott stuck his neck out and benched tyrod, and got absolutely crucified for taking the chance.

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

I loved the call to go for it on 4th and one with 5:45 or so to go at their own 40 or so

Thats what you have to do against Belly and TB12

The shoe wound up on the other foot with the Pats burning timeouts to preserve the clock...well done.

The guy that runs the Eagles' Analytics Department recommended that Pederson go for it and he did.   I like the aggressive mindset.

Just now, joesixpack said:

McDermott stuck his neck out and benched tyrod, and got absolutely crucified for taking the chance.

even though two different things, not from me. I was only pissed he did not stay with Nathan. McD worries me when it comes to decisions like last night,  just look at the Colts game.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

By idiots, he should have benched Taylor before the jags game as well ????

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

By idiots, he should have benched Taylor before the jags game as well ????

a lot of those "idiots" are the same people who are praising the aggressiveness of Pederson today.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

even though two different things, not from me. I was only pissed he did not stay with Nathan. McD worries me when it comes to decisions like last night,  just look at the Colts game.

Fair enough. It's just I see a lot of people praising pederson today who were lambasting McDermott earlier in the year.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Wow, this game really highlighted why Doug Pedersen has got a hell of a future as a HC (and should set an example for all coaches to follow) and why Doug Marrone, despite his strengths, is likely doomed to mediocrity.

Pedersen coached to win; he was aggressive but not reckless and exhibited keen insight into what was happening in the game.  I really hope our coaching staff -- primarily McD and Daboll -- took note and we see Buffalo play with that sort of mindset going forward.

Compare and contrast how Doug Marrone's team completely tightened up in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship game.

I think Marrone will always have a team that is disciplined, tough, and in a position to compete, but at least at this point in his career Marrone doesn't have either the confidence or the situational awareness necessary to take the next step.

Eagles fans have to be feeling great not only about the SB win, but about who they have leading the organization for many years to come.

I respectfully differ. If you watched the game you missed what was the reason for success for both teams, the play of the qbs.  How can you criticize Marrone for squeezing out the most that he could for the team he presides over when his qb so far has played at less than a mediocre level. The same scenario played out in Buffalo when he squeezed out the most that could on an average team with at best mediocre qb play. 

There is nothing wrong with being aggressive when you have a qb that can execute an aggressive play call. There is something wrong when you make an aggressive call when you have a qb that can't execute an aggressive play. He didn't have that adequate caliber of qbing in Buffalo and he still doesn't have it in Jacksonville. 

Didn't you watch the Jacksonville/Buffalo game? From a qb standpoint it was one of the worst qbing that I have ever witnessed for a playoff game. It was wretched and it was embarrassing. If the HCs on either of the sidelines would have called a loose and wide open game they should be fired for malpractice. 

The basic job for the HC is to utilize the talent he has on hand to its abilities. When your qb is limited to the point of being incapable of running a pro offense what do you expect from the coach? Magic? The smartest approach under those crimped circumstances is to simply/dumb down the game plan and play it safe to manage the reality of your qb situation. 

The solution to your criticism of the coach is not to criticize the coach for properly adapting to his situation but for the organization to be aggressive in going out and finding a better option at qb. Until that is done it's futile. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully differ. If you watched the game you missed what was the reason for success for both teams, the play of the qbs.  How can you criticize Marrone for squeezing out the most that he could for the team he presides over when his qb so far has played at less than a mediocre level. The same scenario played out in Buffalo when he squeezed out the most that could on an average team with at best mediocre qb play. 

There is nothing wrong with being aggressive when you have a qb that can execute an aggressive play call. There is something wrong when you make an aggressive call when you have a qb that can't execute an aggressive play. He didn't have that adequate caliber of qbing in Buffalo and he still doesn't have it in Jacksonville. 

Didn't you watch the Jacksonville/Buffalo game? From a qb standpoint it was one of the worst qbing that I have ever witnessed for a playoff game. It was wretched and it was embarrassing. If the HCs on either of the sidelines would have called a loose and wide open game they should be fired for malpractice. 

The basic job for the HC is to utilize the talent he has on hand to its abilities. When your qb is limited to the point of being incapable of running a pro offense what do you expect from the coach? Magic? The smartest approach under those crimped circumstances is to simply/dumb down the game plan and play it safe to manage the reality of your qb situation. 

The solution to your criticism of the coach is not to criticize the coach for properly adapting to his situation but for the organization to be aggressive in going out and finding a better option at qb. Until that is done it's futile. 

Disagree John. Too many examples, Foles, Goff, Keenum etc who are deemed to be bums and then get with the right, aggressive offensive minded coach and blossom. I think it's dramatic the difference a coach makes in this league, and being aggressive in scheme, playcalling, and game day decisions and willing to use numbers,data and win percentages etc to your advantage will always have an edge over old-school coaches like Marrone and McD. 

58 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Be honest:

Only reason i say it was a smart decision.. you legit haven't stopped the patriots all game.  One failed 4th down at that point - 0 Punts.  You knew you weren't winning the game with defense.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

The TD attempt wasn't nearly as reckless as the going for it on your own 40. He's INCREDIBLY fortunate that worked.

They needed it there. Momentum is huge and turning it over or punting would have shifted it in the pats favor. He took all the right risks and they payed off.

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Only reason i say it was a smart decision.. you legit haven't stopped the patriots all game.  One failed 4th down at that point - 0 Punts.  You knew you weren't winning the game with defense.

Right, momentum.

If the 4th down had failed at the 40 he would have been crucified.  That is what made the call so great - coach knew that, but did it anyhow.  The safe "they did a nice job getting there with a back-up" reputation-assuring thing to do at your 40 is punt.  However, that, IMHO, would have been the reckless move.  I believe it would have sealed the Eagles fate.  Eagles D was gassed and showed no sign of being able to slow, much less stop, Brady.  It was a tremendously courageous game-winning decision that cannot be diminished.  He would have been crucified if it failed, but it still would have been the right move.  Tip of my cap to the man, so impressive.