Detroit Lions Fans Have To Be Feeling Good About Matt Patricia

BuffaloRush

McDaniels with Luck should go well I'd think but dear god if I was a Lions fan I wouldn't want Patricia.

The Patriots DVOA for defense was only 18th in the league and it clearing illustrated how the offense gave them a huge advantage with field position, situational football, etc.. I think he is Charlie Weis all over again.

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Can the Lions take the contract off the table?  How can you feel good about Patricia after watching his teams give up nearly 400 yards to Blake Bortles and Nick Foles in back-to-back weeks?

If yards given up is their criterion, Lions picked the wrong horse from the start.  For the last 2 seasons, Patricia has been running a "bend don't break" D in NE where there's a huge discrepency between points given up and yards given up.  #5/#29 this year.  #1/#8 last year.

Half the games during the regular season this year, Patricia's D gave up >400 yds and 2 more games within 4 of that.  And not all at the beginning, either.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The guy took a talentless defense to 5th in scoring against this year...that's pretty good don't ya think?  Philly had three solid running backs, a Nick Foles who played almost flawless and Alshon Jeffrey who made some great grabs.  I can't name a lot of New England defenders I'd want from that team.  

Not only that, but they had Pederson out there with his goofball "just folks" grin playing chess for chess against Belichick. 

Patricia's D lived, last two seasons, on making teams settle for 3.

Pederson knew when he got into the red zone, he had to pull all the stops to go for the points, and he did.  Last minute formation shifts, a trick pass to the QB they NEVER EVEN PRACTICED except in locked-down walkthroughs during the week leading up to the Superbowl and had never called in a game.  Don't overlook the Pederson effect in that game.  He knew what he was facing in Bill Belichick, and he prepared for it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If yards given up is their criterion, Lions picked the wrong horse from the start.  For the last 2 seasons, Patricia has been running a "bend don't break" D in NE where there's a huge discrepency between points given up and yards given up.  #5/#29 this year.  #1/#8 last year.

Half the games during the regular season this year, Patricia's D gave up >400 yds and 2 more games within 4 of that.  And not all at the beginning, either.

Not only that, but they had Pederson out there with his goofball "just folks" grin playing chess for chess against Belichick. 

Pederson knew when he got into the red zone, he had to pull all the stops to go for the points, and he did.  Last minute formation shifts, a trick pass to the QB they NEVER EVEN PRACTICED during the week leading up to the Superbowl and had never called in a game.  Don't overlook the Pederson effect in that game.

Has the look of a guy that has 110% confidence in his team to execute. Preparedness = execution, regardless of whether they practiced it. Hell of a coach. Probably deserved Coach of the Year as much as, if not more than, McVay. Heck of a job to keep a team together when your starting QB goes down with an ACL tear, and play your backup and out-shoot Brady and Belichick in a shootout-style game.

16 minutes ago, corta765 said:

McDaniels with Luck should go well I'd think but dear god if I was a Lions fan I wouldn't want Patricia.

The Patriots DVOA for defense was only 18th in the league and it clearing illustrated how the offense gave them a huge advantage with field position, situational football, etc.. I think he is Charlie Weis all over again.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I do question the talent level that they've had on defense the last 2 years.  This year they had even less - Hightower was hurt in 2017, they traded collins in 2016, Chandler jones was traded in 2015, they didn't bring back long, traded for Ealy and cut him.  Harrison and a guy they pried off the bills practice squad played like a combined 80 snaps.  The talent was very mediocre on their defense this year.

7 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Has the look of a guy that has 110% confidence in his team to execute. Preparedness = execution, regardless of whether they practiced it. Hell of a coach. Probably deserved Coach of the Year as much as, if not more than, McVay. Heck of a job to keep a team together when your starting QB goes down with an ACL tear, and play your backup and out-shoot Brady and Belichick in a shootout-style game.

I mean - they went from 7-9 to 13-3, and the rams went from 4-12 to 11-5.  I think both were deserving.  McDermott certainly was overlooked - coaching imo is the number 1 reason you win close games.  And we won quite a few of them this year.  I think LA going from worst to first in offense was seen as a major point. 

Edited by dneveu

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I do question the talent level that they've had on defense the last 2 years.  This year they had even less - Hightower was hurt in 2017, they traded collins in 2016, Chandler jones was traded in 2015, they didn't bring back long, traded for Ealy and cut him.  Harrison and a guy they pried off the bills practice squad played like a combined 80 snaps.  The talent was very mediocre on their defense this year.

I mean - they went from 7-9 to 13-3, and the rams went from 4-12 to 11-5.  I think both were deserving.  McDermott certainly was overlooked - coaching imo is the number 1 reason you win close games.  And we won quite a few of them this year.  I think LA going from worst to first in offense was seen as a major point. 

That's why I wish they waited until after the ENTIRE season to give out those awards. My biggest case for him is that, like I said, Brady ALWAYS wins the shootout games. You just cant out-shoot him. He did, with a BACKUP QB. But the awards are somehow given out before the season is actually over.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pederson knew when he got into the red zone, he had to pull all the stops to go for the points, and he did.  Last minute formation shifts, a trick pass to the QB they NEVER EVEN PRACTICED except in locked-down walkthroughs during the week leading up to the Superbowl and had never called in a game.  Don't overlook the Pederson effect in that game.  He knew what he was facing in Bill Belichick, and he prepared for it.

So nothing that Pats spies in Philly could have tipped off BB about.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

So nothing that Pats spies in Philly could have tipped off BB about.

They said they practiced the game in Philly, but not during the week leading up to the Superbowl, where the stadium practices are always seen by a few unknowns.

Pederson knew who he was dealing with, and he adjusted to that too.

3 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

They probably feel about as nervous about it as 49er fans were feeling about Little Shanny after last year's Super Bowl. 

In the one hand though, it's really easy to miss that the Patties defense doesn't have much talent and have been pretty well coached up this season. 

All in all, as long as they keep Cooter on board and don't mess with the offense they should be a competitive team. 

Losing hightower was a huge blow to their defense too

55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Have you watched a Lions game?

Better yet, have you watched a Caldwell coached game? He's awful. 

Exactly. 

It was criminal how he didn't win the superbowl with the Colts in 09. 

He is a Dick Jauron type coach who just happened to coach very talented teams

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Have you watched a Lions game?

Better yet, have you watched a Caldwell coached game? He's awful. 

About four or five of them and they generally played well.  Maybe I just watched the wrong games.

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

The patriots pass rush looked like the bills did at times.  No pressure, arriving a second too late and not disrupting his delivery.  Felt like the eagles averaged like 8 yards per carry in the run game.  Kept running to the outside where NE is worst.  Even ran a lot of swing passes and screens to the outside very effectively.   

The secondary took poor angles all game long - that 55 yard pass to corey clement was just... bad.  Terrible angle, missed bumping him off his line so he's wide open in a single high safety look.  Then your safety gets trucked... like what are you doing?! The call is man coverage, how does a running back get that open? 

Linebackers were missing tackles, getting gashed over the middle.  Couldn't make plays in the red zone when it counted.  Even I saw the trick play coming.  

there was no D at all on the field for the first 58 or so minutes....

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Exactly. 

I’m not sure that I’d say it was “criminal” that Caldwell didn’t win it all in 09. A lot of the Colts postseason failure rests on Manning imo. I’m not convinced that any coach could have won that game with Manning bogged down by rain. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Exactly. 

Oh, I don't know about that. I think that game came down to three factors:

1) (most importantly) the absence of a healthy Freeney, who got hurt in the championship game. He was the best defensive player in the league that year. 

2) A wide-open Pierre Garcon's drop of a perfect throw that would have prevented NO from getting another possession before halftime. NO did and scored.

3) The (allegedly) mis-run route by Reggie Wayne that led to the pick six that effectively ended the game.

Those are all player-related, not coaching related. That Saints team was really good too: 13-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh, I don't know about that. I think that game came down to three factors:

1) (most importantly) the absence of a healthy Freeney, who got hurt in the championship game. He was the best defensive player in the league that year. 

2) A wide-open Pierre Garcon's drop of a perfect throw that would have prevented NO from getting another possession before halftime. NO did and scored.

3) The (allegedly) mis-run route by Reggie Wayne that led to the pick six that effectively ended the game.

Those are all player-related, not coaching related. That Saints team was really good too: 13-3. 

Onside kick to start the 2nd half by the Saints. Colts weren't ready for that

NO was way more prepared than the Colts, and yes they executed better as well.

Colts were I believe 9.5 favourites that game. They were stacked with the best QB at that time

https://www.boston.com/sports/nfl/2018/02/05/matt-patricia-patriots-detroit-lions-head-coach

Statement on his hiring:

I’m incredibly honored and grateful to be named Head Coach of the Detroit Lions. Thank you to Mrs. Ford and her family, Rod Wood, and Bob Quinn for their trust and support as we begin this new chapter of Lions football.

This position comes with great responsibility, and I will commit every ounce of my energy to this football team, starting today. My family is excited to become part of this wonderful city that displays so much passion for their teams.

I can’t express enough appreciation to the entire New England Patriots franchise, particularly Robert and Jonathan Kraft and their entire family. I will truly cherish these last 14 years as a member of this incredible organization.

Lastly, I’d like to express my appreciation and thanks to Bill Belichick. He’s been a remarkable mentor to me, not only as a football coach but also as a man and as a friend. I have learned immensely from his detailed leadership approach to the game, which has certainly shaped me into the football coach that I am today. Quite simply, I’ve been incredibly fortunate to work with, who I believe, is the greatest coach in NFL history.

Now I turn all of my attention to the Lions. I look forward to the next chapter of my career in Detroit.

32 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’m not sure that I’d say it was “criminal” that Caldwell didn’t win it all in 09. A lot of the Colts postseason failure rests on Manning imo. I’m not convinced that any coach could have won that game with Manning bogged down by rain. 

Colts were a very stacked team that year, and may have been undefeated if they didn't take out starters late in the regular season.

As I mentioned above, they were big favourites to beat the Saints

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Colts were a very stacked team that year, and may have been undefeated if they didn't take out starters late in the regular season.

As I mentioned above, they were big favourites to beat the Saints

I agree, but the moment the rain started falling, that was it for Manning. Peyton Manning playing outdoors in inclement weather was never a recipe for success, particularly in the playoffs. It’s not to say that Caldwell doesn’t deserve blame for the loss, but I’m not willing to place the blame solely on him. When Peyton failed, the Colts failed.