Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Doc your right. But that precedent was for an unproven coach who had failed already in Cleveland. Not  for a five time SB winning HC

Yeah but without Brady, he'll go back to being a failure, right? ;)

44 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

IMO, it doesn't matter.  BB is who is he is because of his disciplinarian approach.  It's the reason he's a great coach.  Discipline over all.  You have to take the bad with the good.

....and based on his tendencies, it's a safe bet McD reacts the same way which means Butler as a UFA in Bflo doesn't fit..................

8 hours ago, billieve420 said:

He is going to want to be paid as a top 5 corner. Why would he settle for anything else.

Unfortunately, for him the Patriots don’t see him as one of the top CBs and they proved it by paying for Gilmore this offseason.

So he is going to need to take a 1 yr deal or take a below market long term deal which no agent would agree to.

I didn't say WE should pay him top five money. If he can get it from some team, more power to him. I just think he can get his 12+ from some team. He has nothing to prove. He has been, and is a top 10-15 corner in this league. He has been undervalued and disrespected by the Pats. Hope he finds a team that values his contributions. Would you pay 10 for EJ Gaines or 12+ for Butler? Butler is definitely an upgrade over EJ and has been more durable. I like EJ, but would not pay that much for either. And to think that Darby is rated higher than both, has a Market value higher, and we could have had him next year for about 4.(Spotrac) Great trade.

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...at least Belichick took the high road in pressers, kept it as "his football decision" and didn't air out any dirty laundry specifics...

no way this decision was in the "short term" best interest of the team....it's the super bowl

long term......obviously sends a painful lasting memory of the importance of discipline.

hoodie just don't give a chit

i'd venture a guess that 31 other head coaches would have started butler

54 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I heard he missed curfew.  Anyone else here that? 

Pure speculation but this may have been a final straw for someone they were getting fed up with.

when an organization is finished with someone they pull out a huge file of complaints and then invoke a recent technically not so bad issue as the end of it

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

no way this decision was in the "short term" best interest of the team....it's the super bowl

long term......obviously sends a painful lasting memory of the importance of discipline.

hoodie just don't give a chit

i'd venture a guess that 31 other head coaches would have started butler

Yeah, how many fans and media often mention the lack of discipline among NFL players? This fact adds great irony to all of the criticism this move has received. 

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

someone claimed he was caught smoking a doobie.  but I think that is fan fiction 

The doobie comment was sarcastic, the term doobie isn’t in play anymore is it? 

MJ was mentioned all over the world as one reason, there’s no way to keep the story leakproof, not even for the Pats.

Apart from the less-than-impeccable timing is the fact that Butler’s replacements stunk. The New England defense simply wasn’t stopping the Eagles. And that’s where Belichick’s stubborn refusal to give Butler a rep or two in order to see whether he’d show up when it matters (like he did in Super Bowl XLIX) became problematic for the team. It’s the sweet spot where situational football and emotional intelligence meet. Belichick, who always masters the former, failed as to the latter.

Really, if Belichick didn’t believe in Butler, why wasn’t Butler inactive for the game? Instead, he ultimately played only one more snap than the only guy on the New England 46-man roster who didn’t enter the game at all — backup quarterback Brian Hoyer.

If this was related to breaking a minor team rule, Belichick was too hard-headed on this one.  And it probably cost them the game.

There are many ways to discipline players.  Sitting him the ENTIRE GAME was over the top.

Just starting someone else in the Super Bowl or sitting him the first drive would have sent a pretty strong message (in my opinion).

Think about how that game changes if Butler manages to make ONE third down breakup.  Or his coverage results in ONE important incomplete pass.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

If this was related to breaking a minor team rule, Belichick was too hard-headed on this one.  And it probably cost them the game.

There are many ways to discipline players.  Sitting him the ENTIRE GAME was over the top.

Just starting someone else in the Super Bowl or sitting him the first drive would have sent a pretty strong message (in my opinion).

Think about how that game changes if Butler manages to make ONE third down breakup.  Or his coverage results in ONE important incomplete pass.

Too rigid and it may have cost his team a Lombardi.  

Pats benched Butler for minor team rules violation