Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

i agree and I've said this since he traded Chandler Jones trying to be cute--he should have learned from the Seymour deal- don't dump great young players in their prime.    He gave away the 2017 best defensive end in football for basically nothing and it cost him the championship.  They have zero pass rush now, and got chewed up because of it.   Foles had all day back there, and the GENIUS is to blame.  Loved seeing Kraft and his ridiculous mullet with that whiny smug look on his face when he realized that they lost.    so satisfying. 

He got a 1st for Seymour and won a couple SBs after the trade...

Butler was screwed by the Pats last year when they advised they told him they would not give big money for above avg corners. Then turned around and signed Gilmore and turned the screws on Butler by placing the 1st round tender on him forcing him to be a Pat.

Pats don't care about feelings. It is all business. cba allowed the tender and they applied it. Be dammed about how player feels.

Butler needed to force his way off team last year to save face. He did not and Pats got what they deserved with this **** show Super Bowl Bellychick orchestrated.

I bet right now if you asked Butler after game and as angry as he was, if he knew what he knew right now about how this all went down if he would have held out this year. He would say yes.

Of course his agent would have likely talked him out of it due to money pd this year about 4 mill and that he would still not be eligible for FA if he held out  a year.

Edited by cba fan

Belichick’s initial response to questions about Butler, who said he felt he “could have changed that game” if he’d been given the chance to play, followed a similar track to what he said on Sunday.

“I respect Malcolm’s competitiveness and I am sure that he felt like he could have helped,” Belichick said, via WEEI.com. “I am sure other players felt the same way, but in the end, we have to make the decisions that we feel are best for the football team and that is what we did, that is what I did. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Mike Reiss of ESPN.com pushed Belichick for further detail about why he felt that was the best approach for the team.

“I appreciate the question, but it would be a much longer discussion,” Belichick said. “There are a lot of things that go into that. In the end, the final decision is what I said it was.”

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Belichick’s initial response to questions about Butler, who said he felt he “could have changed that game” if he’d been given the chance to play, followed a similar track to what he said on Sunday.

“I respect Malcolm’s competitiveness and I am sure that he felt like he could have helped,” Belichick said, via WEEI.com. “I am sure other players felt the same way, but in the end, we have to make the decisions that we feel are best for the football team and that is what we did, that is what I did. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Mike Reiss of ESPN.com pushed Belichick for further detail about why he felt that was the best approach for the team.

“I appreciate the question, but it would be a much longer discussion,” Belichick said. “There are a lot of things that go into that. In the end, the final decision is what I said it was.”

Translation; because I said so!

I’m sure BB is getting killed by the media and fans today.  The longer this goes unanswered, the more the heat gets turned up on BB.  

If it was a disciplinary thing, I could see sitting him for a series or even a quarter, but the whole game when the DB’s on the field were brutal?   My guess is he has some explaining to do to Kraft.  

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For what it's worth, a PFF writer says he's friends with a cop in Minnesota who told him Butler missed curfew the night before the game and was found with marijuana.

I have no idea of the veracity of this but it would make sense, especially if it were just a few minutes late. Although a terrible look for Butler to insist that he had no idea why.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Translation; because I said so!

And he's earned the right to make that decision.     It was very likely the wrong decision but he's made lots of good ones and if I were a fan of the Patriots I wouldn't have feel negatively towards Belichick not one iota.   

12 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

i agree and I've said this since he traded Chandler Jones trying to be cute--he should have learned from the Seymour deal- don't dump great young players in their prime.    He gave away the 2017 best defensive end in football for basically nothing and it cost him the championship.  They have zero pass rush now, and got chewed up because of it.   Foles had all day back there, and the GENIUS is to blame.  Loved seeing Kraft and his ridiculous mullet with that whiny smug look on his face when he realized that they lost.    so satisfying. 

They went to 6 AFCC and 4 SBs since they let Seymour go. The year he was traded, the defense went from 8th in points allowed to5th.  They have been top 10 every year but 1 since (3 top 5's).

Giving Jones away didn't stop them from going  to back to back SBs or from having the best D in the NFL (in points allowed) as soon as he was out the door in 2016. Then they won the SB (so...it really didn't "cost them the championship").  Meanwhile, the Arizona D went from 7th in points allowed prior to Jones to 14th, then 19th with him.  He's racking up stats as the anchor of that "break, don't bend" defense.  Big deal.

Last night's game featured little to no defense, even from Philly's vaunted D.  The difference in the game was likely a dropped TD pass by Brady and missed Gotskowski FG.  That and a single Philly big play on D.

People questioning BB's intelligence over benching Butler are out of their minds.

Belichick has made a lot of questionable free agent signings and draft picks but Brady has been bailing him out for years.

Just look at that defense, Belichick's specialty. It hasn't been good for years, and they are 2-3 in the Super Bowl since they morphed into an all offense team.

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

And he's earned the right to make that decision.     It was very likely the wrong decision but he's made lots of good ones and if I were a fan of the Patriots I wouldn't have feel negatively towards Belichick not one iota.   

Id still be pissed though.