Tyrod Wants to Stay with the Bills, but Won't Take Another Pay Cut

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Taylor "showed up" enough to be critical for Ws in enough games in 2017.

He made huge plays on critical downs against really solid defenses against the Falcons, Broncos and Chiefs.

We don't win the Bucs game without Taylor, which is an often overlooked game.

Ultimately, Taylor played a role in every game he played, and a significant enough one to say he was critical to our playoff run, like it or not.

You're right about one thing... Tyrod was benched for a reason, we as fans just don't know what that reason is... but, ya know... there were some interesting reports out there 0:):

Why use your eyes, yeah that NO game he was wonderful in. Blind love for not good enough, sure blame fired OC#3.  Same old COT. 

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Pounded by Thurm... bwahahahahaha!!! :lol: 

You talking about the poster who religiously scurries into the wall to hide when he's wrong about something?

Yah, okay :thumbsup: 

Says the guy starting 18million I love Tyrod threads.  You have been laughed off the board many times this season with your blind love fest.SMH

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I thought this season was exciting as hell watching us win 4 out of 6 down the stretch. Getting the wins we had to have instead of figuring out new ways to lose like we did the previous 17 years. We tried in the snow bowl but came through as a team. Great stuff. Winning is fun! There are no style points in football. Just win.

Did you really? Wow. I had a hard time getting myself cranked up to watch the games.

I'm jealous of you in a way. I don't think winning is fun. I didn't have fun nine times this year and seven times the year before and eight times the year before that. Only two teams in NFL history have gone without wins. Winning isn't much, IMHO.

Really, nothing less than competing for a championship would do anything more than give me minor fun. I saw this team get to the Super Bowl four consecutive times. And lose. Watching a very mediocre team go 9-7 did very very little for me this year.

38 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, if he becomes a UFA I don't see him making even half of his projected salary. Maybe 5 million? The market was not kind to him last year and will be worse this year with all of the QBs available in free agency and the draft. Paying him 18 million would be insanity. I think his ceiling is what Nick Foles got to be a high level backup, 2 years 11 million. 

It ain't $18 mill he would count against our cap if we kept him for 2018.

It's $23.6 mill. 

If he's on the roster for all of 2018 and then is gone, he'll count $18 mill against the 2018 cap and then $5.6 mill against the 2019 cap.

$23.6 mill total for one year of Tyrod. When they've said that they need a QB who can throw from the pocket.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Gee, thanks for pointing that out. I'd thought it was a fact till you said that. Brilliant.

But you're right, it's an opinion ... Like it's an opinion that Aaron Rodgers is better than Blake Bortles. No real way to prove it actually factual. Everyone knows it, but yeah, strictly speaking an opinion. Some stupid answer in a press conference two months before the negotiations come to a head have something on the order of a 0.01% chance of having any real effect on negotiations, particularly when the answer given is only an evasion anyway. So yeah, an opinion. But also pretty much the only sensible opinion. Of course it didn't hurt Tyrod's position two months beforehand to say essentially, "We'll see what happens."

But if anyone is an expert on skipping on to the next subject and never commenting when he was wrong, it's you. I've been wrong a bunch of times. I admit it. I've done so many times on both boards.

Hehe... oh dear lord... my opinion is the only sensible opinion because I think it so I must be right and everyone who agrees with me is sensible and everyone who doesn't is not :lol: 

oh sweet Thurm... don't be afraid to be wrong every once in awhile... as someone once said "There is an inexplicable sense of relief in being proven wrong, which perhaps can only be realized by either a scientist or a philosopher." 0:) 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hehe... oh dear lord... my opinion is the only sensible opinion because I think it so I must be right and everyone who agrees with me is sensible and everyone who doesn't is not :lol: 

oh sweet Thurm... don't be afraid to be wrong every once in awhile... as someone once said "There is an inexplicable sense of relief in being proven wrong, which perhaps can only be realized by either a scientist or a philosopher." 0:) 

Trans, a legend in his own mind. SMH

You convinced me. 

Tyrod saying "We'll see what happens" two months before the decision was made was actually huge.

It wasn't that the Bills simply didn't think a year of Tyrod Taylor was worth paying more than $30 mill guaranteed!!

No, no. It was that he said, "We'll see what happens," two months before that made the difference. How could I not have seen this? Probably Whaley taped that answer and played it over and over to himself to retain his nerve in case Tyrod had stayed strong and forced them to pay the $30 mill guaranteed.

Good lord. Must be nice to live in the land of fairy dust and moonbeams.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Why use your eyes, yeah that NO game he was wonderful in. Blind love for not good enough, sure blame fired OC#3.  Same old COT. 

I respond to your questions and you come back with this?

Incredible :doh: 

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You convinced me. 

Tyrod saying "We'll see what happens" two months before the decision was made was actually huge.

It wasn't that the Bills simply didn't think a year of Tyrod Taylor was worth paying more than $30 mill guaranteed!!

No, no. It was that he said, "We'll see what happens," two months before that made the difference. How could I not have seen this? Probably Whaley taped that answer and played it over and over to himself to retain his nerve in case Tyrod had stayed strong and forced them to pay the $30 mill guaranteed.

Good lord. Must be nice to live in the land of fairy dust and moonbeams.

You're hilarious Thurm... why don't you do another terrible breakdown of some pretty simple, clear and direct rhetoric on my part and then not simply admit it was a terrible breakdown on your part and apologize. :lol: 

2 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

OC#4?

SMH, maybe OC#4, maybe he will get OC#5 by the end of a even more horrible 2018, it would be so Billsy to once again trot not good enough at QB once again.  It sure would prove the QB purgatory is more of a OBD problem then the GM/HCs that have failed here for so long.

OC #1 and OC #2 with Hotrod under center had prolific scoring offenses. #7 in the league in 2016 going into the last week when EJ and Cardale played with OC #1/OC #2.

In 2015 with OC #1 we were 13th in yards and 12th in points.  Too bad they weren't the right kind of yards and TDs.

Are you really going to complain about the #7 scoring offense?  

Offense's job is to put up points, not gaudy passing yards.

I see no reason to think OC #4 can't get us back there if Hotrod returns.

The biggest problem with the offense last year was OC #3 IMHO.

2 hours ago, Putin said:

? did you really write that with a straight face 

Yes I did as a matter of fact.

Edited by reddogblitz

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I will be amazed if he is starting somewhere next year.  Stranger things have happened but I think a lot of us forget the Bills granted this guy permission to find another starting gig last year and not one team bit.   Hence the reason he took the pay cut in the first place. 

Fake News.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

OC #1 and OC #2 with Hotrod under center had prolific scoring offenses. #7 in the league in 2016 going into the last week when EJ and Cardale played with OC #1/OC #2.

In 2015 with OC #1 we were 13th in yards and 12th in points.  Too bad they weren't the right kind of yards and TDs.

Are you really going to complain about the #7 scoring offense?  

Offense's job is to put up points, not gaudy passing yards.

I see no reason to think OC #4 can't get us back there if Hotrod returns.

The biggest problem with the offense last year was OC #3 IMHO.

Yes I did as a matter of fact.

I understand that line of thinking.  Here's my main issue with Taylor over the last three years.  I won't include this year because his WR weapons were pathetic and Dennison's system was awful at using his skill set.

2015:

At New England -Down 20 to 13.  Ball back with a little over two minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past the 50 yard line.  Sack basically ends game.

At Kansas City - Down 30 to 22.  Ball back with a little over three minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past our own 20 yard line.  Sack and fumble ends game.

At Philadelphia - Down 23-20. Ball back 1:53 left in the 4th.  Throws interception on a deep pass on 3rd and 8 from his own 33 yard line.

2016:

At Ravens - Down 13-7.  Ball at own 22 with 5 and a half minutes left.  Three and out including a 12 yard sack.  Bills don't get ball back.

At Seahawks - Down 31-25.  Ball at own 40 with 2:41 left.  Plays great and drives team downfield.  Takes a 7 yard sack on 3rd and goal and incomplete on 4th down.

At Raiders - Up 24 to 9 and looking like a playoff team midway through 3rd quarter.  Oakland scores four straight TD's to win game.  Offense has three straight three and outs and then Tyrod throws a pick.  Mack ends game with a sack/fumble.

He's made some 4th quarter comebacks against some mediocre teams, but when he's facing a tough opponent on the road he folds again and again.  You need a quarterback who can lead his team back and get those tough wins.  Tyrod is a great team player and hard worker, but he isn't and probably will never be a franchise quarterback.

Edited by Doc Brown

I am not a big Tyrod fan, however I won’t be surprised or upset if he is back next season.

Many people feel that the logical move is to draft a QB as high as possible, and have a vet as a bridge until the rookie is ready. Why can’t Tyrod be the bridge QB? Is paying huge dollars for a different vet QB for a bridge better?  The devil you know versus the devil you don’t know.

Actually that is what happened last year. Unfortunately we learned that Peterman wasn’t ready.  Maybe with a different rookie (drafted higher than the fifth round) the process will work better next year. Some people might even suggest that Peterman could still be the guy if he has another half season to prepare :bag:.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I understand that line of thinking.  Here's my main issue with Taylor over the last three years.  I won't include this year because his WR weapons were pathetic and Dennison's system was awful at using his skill set.

2015:

At New England -Down 20 to 13.  Ball back with a little over two minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past the 50 yard line.  Sack basically ends game.

At Kansas City - Down 30 to 22.  Ball back with a little over three minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past our own 20 yard line.  Sack and fumble ends game.

At Philadelphia - Down 23-20. Ball back 1:53 left in the 4th.  Throws interception on a deep pass on 3rd and 8 from his own 33 yard line.

2016:

At Ravens - Down 13-7.  Ball at own 22 with 5 and a half minutes left.  Three and out including a 12 yard sack.  Bills don't get ball back.

At Seahawks - Down 31-25.  Ball at own 40 with 2:41 left.  Plays great and drives team downfield.  Takes a 7 yard sack on 3rd and goal and incomplete on 4th down.

At Raiders - Up 24 to 9 and looking like a playoff team midway through 3rd quarter.  Oakland scores four straight TD's to win game.  Offense has three straight three and outs and then Tyrod throws a pick.  Mack ends game with a sack/fumble.

He's made some 4th quarter comebacks against some mediocre teams, but when he's facing a tough opponent on the road he folds again and again.  You need a quarterback who can lead his team back and get those tough wins.  Tyrod is a great team player and hard worker, but he isn't and probably will never be a franchise quarterback.

No one is saying the QB position doesn’t need to be upgraded. However, you have some people on this board who have an agenda against Tyrod for whatever reason. The same people who say any QB would be better even the backup rookie QB who was exposed when he got his chance. Then they try to excuse that decision by saying it wouldn’t have mattered and we would have lost anyway.  However, there is no way to know what would happened. It could have been a field position game like Jax where we had a shot at winning. Winning the turnover battle is a key indicator of which team wins and which one loses.

Past 2 seasons when Rex’s D was like a sieve and penalty flags were flying all over. It was Tyrod’s fault the team wasn’t better than it was. Tyrod is not a franchise QB. Him like a lot of QBs in this league are not good enough to carry your team. 

Now that the D played better this season still not great. Taylor gets the blame for being who he is a game manager. Jags D is bordering on elite and we hung in there with them and had a shot at winning. With Tyrod you need an elite defense and strong running game to be successful. Offensively we were inconsistent running the ball on early downs all year long forcing the offense into a number of 3rd and longs. Your 3rd down conversion numbers are going to be low as an result.

We took away Tyrod’s best asset which is his long ball which suffered this year by replacing his WR core with a bunch of possession receivers. Tyrod was a poor fit for this offense to begin with. It will be interesting to see the type of offense Daboll will run this year.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

No one is saying the QB position doesn’t need to be upgraded. However, you have some people on this board who have an agenda against Tyrod for whatever reason. The same people who say any QB would be better even the backup rookie QB who was exposed when he got his chance.

Past 2 seasons when Rex’s D was like a sieve and penalty flags were flying all over. It was Tyrod’s fault the team wasn’t better than it was. Tyrod is not a franchise QB. Him like a lot of QBs in this league are not good enough to carry your team. 

Now that the D played better this season still not great. Taylor gets the blame for being who he is a game manager. Jags D is bordering on elite and we hung in there with them and had a shot at winning. With Tyrod you need an elite defense and strong running game to be successful. Offensively we were inconsistent running the ball on early downs all year long forcing the offense into a number of 3rd and longs. Your 3rd down conversion numbers are going to be low as an result.

We took away Tyrod’s best asset which is his long ball which suffered this year by replacing his WR core with a bunch of possession receivers. Tyrod was a poor fit for this offense to begin with. It will be interesting to see the type of offense Daboll will run this year.

They're fricken idiots then after watching Peterman throw five picks.  Regardless of coordinator, Tyrod's limitations require the Bills either take the lead early or stay within one score.  If we have to turn to a pure passing game to come back against above average teams, we're finished.  As far as the Jags, they gave up 42 to the Steelers and 24 to the Pats so 3 points really isn't that impressive.

I still have no problem with Taylor as a stop gap given Smith's ridiculous contract, but we better draft a potential franchise quarterback.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

Blunty, from a business perspective, there is no reason he should from any way you look at it.

The impending Smith trade and new contract resets the market. Cousins hitting the open market is going to explode it further. I was thinking that his contract was looking cheap (for the position!) if we want a bridge QB to prepare a rookie. So really, the options are:

A) He takes yet another paycut, diminishing what he can ask for going forward in FA.

B) He refuses to take a paycut, and gets cut. He enters a FA market on a short team deal, probably as a high end backup making Chase Daniel money for a minimal amount of work or waits until someone gets injured in training camp like Bridgewater or Tannehill. The Bills are forced to eat his dead cap and likely have to pay more overall to find what posters here consider an "upgrade".

C) He refuses to take a paycut, and is kept as a bridge QB. He takes his money, and enters a FA market with a new bar set by Smith and Cousins.

He really has no incentive, long run, to take the cut.

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I thought this season was exciting as hell watching us win 4 out of 6 down the stretch. Getting the wins we had to have instead of figuring out new ways to lose like we did the previous 17 years. We tried in the snow bowl but came through as a team. Great stuff. Winning is fun! There are no style points in football. Just win.

The offense was a bore that couldn’t pass ????????????????

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

2 offensive tds by tyrod in 7 games against playoff teams this year. He really shows up for those big games.

Correct.    

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

there are several posters who are the types of people you don't even cross the street to piss on if their heads are on fire.

?? Someone forgot to take their meds.   

Tyrod is a backup.   (174 ypg).      Can’t pay starter money for backup play.  

• Like (+1) 1

Championship Caliber.   

lmo is not TT.  

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And rightfully so. He made that mistake last year on locker room clean out day and it really killed any leverage he had in the off-season.

We will all have a pretty definitive answer here in a month and a half, but talk about some douche-baggery in this thread.

As I get through these pages and read more and more of the vitriol, I realize there are several posters who are the types of people you don't even cross the street to piss on if their heads are on fire.

Please let me guess.   Sarcasm right.

If these people irritate you so much why do you stick around?  There are other boards to pursue.   

You are one of maybe half a dozen that believes TT will still be here.  

A minority.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1