Oh Fitz, why wasn’t it you?

Virgil

If there were one QB that I wish turned out to be the answer for us, it’s Fitz. He had a great nickname, beard was amazing, embraced the city, and overall opitimozed what it means to be a Buffalo Bill. 

Also, he went to Harvard if you hadn’t heard. 

Seeing him at Wood’s press conference today just made me reminisce about the guy and still holds one of the best memories for me when we beat the Pats in Week 3 a few years back. That’s a game we normally lose while Fitz and Freddy stole the show. 

• Like (+1) 8

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If there were one QB that I wish turned out to be the answer for us, it’s Fitz. He had a great nickname, beard was amazing, embraced the city, and overall opitimozed what it means to be a Buffalo Bill. 

Seeing him at Wood’s press conference today just made me reminisce about the guy and still holds one of the best memories for me when we beat the Pats in Week 3 a few years back. That’s a game we normally lose while Fitz and Freddy stole the show. 

Seems to often be the problem.  If you're smart enough to play QB in the NFL, often you then don't have the physical skills, in his case arm strength.  Flutie was a height problem.

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should've been retained as a bridge QB, but they needlessly extended and overpaid him (sound familiar) and then had to cut bait when he couldn't live up to his contract.

The Bills love to overpay guys (or overcommit draft picks) and then get buyer's remorse.

Had they have used him as a bridge QB and not the crazy contract they probably don't draft EJ and maybe even make the playoffs in 13 or 14 given the D we had. It was always the contract with him.

37 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should've been retained as a bridge QB, but they needlessly extended and overpaid him (sound familiar) and then had to cut bait when he couldn't live up to his contract.

The Bills love to overpay guys (or overcommit draft picks) and then get buyer's remorse.

Isn't that the truth. Overpaid for Mario, Fitz, Dareus, Clay, Glenn. Maybe that's the only way players will come to or stay in Buffalo? Shady is the only big name player we've had in the last 6-7 years worth the money.

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Indeed he epitomized everything we love about a player. He played hard, never scared, smart, just physically a bit limited. 

He and Tyrod both are right there on the line between top-tier backup and below average starter. They have flashed various abilities but aren't the complete package. Wanted both to be the guy so badly.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Isn't that the truth. Overpaid for Mario, Fitz, Dareus, Clay, Glenn. Maybe that's the only way players will come to or stay in Buffalo? Shady is the only big name player we've had in the last 6-7 years worth the money.

Kyle Williams and Incognito weren’t worth the money?

I’d say they are both big names.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't really think they overpayed Mario.  He was awesome, until his last season...he got old.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Indeed he epitomized everything we love about a player. He played hard, never scared, smart, just physically a bit limited. 

He and Tyrod both are right there on the line between top-tier backup and below average starter. They have flashed various abilities but aren't the complete package. Wanted both to be the guy so badly.

Fitz is a qb that get you to 2-2 if your starter goes down for a four-game stretch. That's what you want in a backup, and I'd sign him in a second.  He played reasonably well for TB, this season, and the team went 2-1 in the games he started (and the one they lost went down to the last minute). 

• Like (+1) 1