Happy 41st anniversary to...

Happened to stay home the day the blizzard hit, but the day before I almost got stuck at the Amherst campus of UB.  Didn't have a car yet (but had got license a month earlier) so made it by bus to the Main St campus and then up to Amherst.  The busses couldn't make it through the campus so they let us off at Clemens Hall (English dept) and about a dozen of us had to trudge  sherpa like to Fronzack Hall (Physics dept) at the other end of the spine. The intervening buildings which are all connected were not completed yet. Got into the physics lab and they said "If you need to get back to Main Street, leave now because the busses will stop running in about 90 minutes.." We had to go through thigh deep snow to the Governors Dorms where we caught a bus back.  From the Main campus, my friend's father picked us up and drove us back to Cheektowaga.  Left home at 7 AM and got back at about 1 for 2 PM.

Remember the bulldozers creating the piles of snow in the Grover Cleveland golf course on Bailey  Ave for weeks afterward.  About once a minute a new dump truck full of snow would show up .

Edited by Wacka

I was in Grade 3.  Don't remember it too much, but remember '76 March IceStorm and '78 Blizzard more.

The '78 Blizzard, I was in Grade 4... All the buses got stuck and my parents slogged the two miles to school... Walking, bringing my snowsuit, winter foul weather gear; to guide me back home.  Drifts were over my head, buses in ditches, pure carnage... LoL... You think they (West Seneca Schools) would have learned from a year earlier!  I guess weather forecasting not that good back then?

Anyway... That '78 storm, I was more anxious than anything.  My younger sister just started kindergarten and I thought she may have been put into storm.  It was half-day kindergarten back then.  Little did I know, they cancelled the kindergarten classes and she was safe @ home... I did not know that till my parents got to me in the evening.

The information age is so much better!  Even for fourth graders.  I would have never been on pins and needles... Wondering who the hell had my baby sister!  My older siblings were already in Jr./Sr. High.

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Damn you're old. I was still in high school and I'm considered by many an old fart. 

Old???

Naaa!!

Graduated High School in 1971

Graduated College in 1975.

Married in 1976.

Still married.

Now THAT'S OLD ?

I was a senior in HS. We were moving the day it started, but only about 1/4 mile. The movers left early to avoid being stranded, so my friends and I had a partially furnished retreat that the parents would never dream of trying to get to. About three weeks of school missed, you might be able to imagine how that time was spent.   :)

The cool part was the way people all helped and shared. That made a lasting impression! 

Senior in high school - which was cancelled - I drove into Niagara Falls in the morning to work as a helper on an Royal Crown pop truck. We quit in mid-afternoon as the weather was getting crazy.  Was driving back to Amherst and the roads in the Falls were all backed up and my tank was on empty.  It got so bad I pulled into a bar and went inside to call my family. They told me to get a room and wait it out.  I made it to a Howard Johnson’s and checked in. I was there three days before my sister and her boyfriend could dig out enough to come and get me.  I think I ate out of the vending machines because I had hardly any cash on me. I kept busy by shooting baskets with popcorn into a garbage can. I was going stir crazy and couldn’t have been happier when I got rescued and got back home.  We spent the better part of the next week playing cards (Michigan Rummy, Mille Bourne’s and Spades) and going to Niagara County Produce each morning for another case of Genny Cream Ale pounders.  We hauled it the half mile home in a sled. All in all a memorable and great experience.  My sister is still married to that guy!

I do remember it.

We had a long hedge that went alongside our backyard and the sidewalk, sort of connecting our house to the garage.  It was like shoulder/head height.  Maybe 5 feet tall or even a bit taller, and probably 30 feet long. 

The entire thing disappeared after the blizzard.  Snow drifts just buried it and it was gone. 

That's what I remember! 

I was 6 years old.  I also remember  my father being trapped at work and sleeping the night at his office desk; we have a photo of that somewhere at my mom's house.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, CowgirlsFan said:

Old???

Naaa!!

Graduated High School in 1971

Graduated College in 1975.

Married in 1976.

Still married.

Now THAT'S OLD ?

Same here except Mrs. Lew and I were married in 1975.

We were in the same second grade class after finding some old pictures.

• Like (+1) 1