Ithaca High School cancels spring play

43 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

it was announced that this year’s school play [...] was going to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  [...]  [R]ole of Esmeralda, an oppressed French-Roma ‘gypsy’ woman living in Paris [...]  

...Esmeralda went to, ‘a very talented but miscast 11th grade, blonde haired, hazel-eyed girl, a white young woman’.

Ruina said she dropped out of the play after the cast list was finalized.

“I didn’t want to be a part of something like that, where the whole thing was just whitewashed,” Ruina said. “When you put a white girl as a role that was written for a person of color, (POC) 

What the !@#$?  Since when is French-Roma "person of color?"  

I guess those of us with conservative mindsets will have to keep on keeping on with our jobs and church and families and charity anyway....

ruined by the millions and rescued one person at a time...

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

One of the students said there were fears it was going to be a "bloodbath" over the role.  The whole thing shoulda been shutdown before they ever cast it. Now you got some real bad mojo with the cancellation of the play. 10s of people are theatrically f%#ed.

Ithaca is really East Compton. 

That is truly awful and sad. 

13 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they went with a show that is offensive to the physically handicapped.  They probably should have changed the name.

The Regularback of Notre Dame?  Casting call goes out for an average non-gender-specific person, average height, weight just about average. Works at the post office.  Has a pretty good life but suffers from bunions. 

Anyone can can play that part....anyone. 21st century brilliance. 

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm going to write a play for the new millenium: 90 minutes of an empty stage that no one can find offensive.

Sounds good in theory, but if I bought a ticket and saw 90 minutes of nothing on an empty stage, I'm pretty sure I'd be offended enough to want a refund.

In fact, I find the very idea offensive.

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm going to write a play for the new millenium: 90 minutes of an empty stage that no one can find offensive.

So you're not going to include people of color in your new production? That's offensive.

45 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Sounds good in theory, but if I bought a ticket and saw 90 minutes of nothing on an empty stage, I'm pretty sure I'd be offended enough to want a refund.

In fact, I find the very idea offensive.

And you wouldn't get a refund, as in demanding one you would demonstrate that you understood and partook in the very nature of the play: the show is not the stage, but the audience reaction to it.

You know that bull **** would sell to the New York theater crowd.

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

How may trees did you cut down to build the stage?

How many petroleum byproducts were used in construction

Did you pay a living wage to your workers

How diverse was your construction crew?

Did you purchase construction materials from or at any point do business with Israel or a company affiliated with Trump?