Bills Asst. Director of College Scouting Lake Dawson interviewing for GM in Carolina

YoloinOhio

On 1/28/2018 at 11:23 AM, hemma said:

Uh oh.  Bills have suddenly become a breeding ground for top flight FO talent.

Beane better start telling teams, "Sure you can interview our guys, but if you hire him, I'll need a couple draft picks."

Beane should tell them to feel free to interview Brandon and Overdorf.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

No he didn't.

"Dawson was hired by the Buffalo Bills in May 2017 to be Assistant Director of College Scouting."

The draft is in April Bub.

If you want to zing me, fine. But at least have your basic facts straight. Everybody knows they fired the entire scouting department the day after the 2017 draft. I mean that one isn't even hard. How the heck did you miss that?? General manager Doug Whaley and entire scouting department fired the day after the draft? Ring a bell?

I give full credit to Beane in turning over the staff and recruiting/hiring guys to buy into what we are doing. That’s part of his job.

But these guys aren’t getting hired based on their actual work with the Bills. They’re getting hired/interviewed because the got a promotion to a higher role, for a franchise that exceeded expectations.

I would argue that we are lacking in Pro Personell. That position is largely responsible for filling depth. And we lack that at basically every single position. QB, WR, OL, LB, CB (EJ Gaines record), DT, goes down and we are missing absolutely major pieces.

FA was Whaley and Co. We replaced the FO immediately post draft. I purposefully left out the last draft as a pro or con for either GM for the same reasons I do with the transition of Nix to Whaley. Some picks you have an idea, but we really don’t know at all. It’s just a mosh-mosh. McClap was already here, and there have been zero inside reports as to what went on. Everything is speculation in both directions. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Obviously, I wouldn't want to see him go as I think this FO is terrific in the limited amount of time we've seen from them. But, great organizations experience high turnover because their people get recognized for the good work they do. The Bills will need to be that factory of talent if they want to continue the upward trajectory they seem to be on...they will need to constantly be grooming and training and promoting in order to stay in contention at all levels. This is a good early test for the FO, to see how they respond with some turnover. I like Beane a lot and I like McD, but this serve a good diagnostic as to how they process through the ever-changing landscape of the NFL.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Both guys were highly respected. I remember reading an article from some national reporter about the Bills assembling a great front office. 

Oh I know, I was happy with a lot of the FO hires. But it's not like they have a lot to show since they arrived to boost their reputations. I guess I was selfishly hoping we'd get to keep them for at least 1 draft, but more like 2.

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm sure the Patriots have had that happen.

Hmm there is the guy in Detroit and the guy in Tennessee. You are right I think that they may have both gotten those jobs in the same year. 

46 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What's funny is that the groups hasn't even had a draft. All they've done is trade away young talent for picks :lol:

Yeah I think it’s their resume as a whole but those trades look pretty good. Lake wouldn’t have been involved though. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Oh I know, I was happy with a lot of the FO hires. But it's not like they have a lot to show since they arrived to boost their reputations. I guess I was selfishly hoping we'd get to keep them for at least 1 draft, but more like 2.

Gaine made a lateral move to Buffalo. He was part of division championships in Houston. It was an easy choice, he was already in line there. 

Lake Dawson is a surprise, but well respected. I wonder if Beane helped get him the interview. He must have knocked it out of the park. 

48 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Gaine made a lateral move to Buffalo. He was part of division championships in Houston. It was an easy choice, he was already in line there. 

Lake Dawson is a surprise, but well respected. I wonder if Beane helped get him the interview. He must have knocked it out of the park. 

It’s not a very attractive opening. I think they are reaching a bit now. Nothing wrong with Lake but they are going to have a hard time selling a top FO guy on going there. 

This really speaks highly of Brandon Beane and the quality of the front office staff he was able to assemble. As a first time GM, Beane was (obviously) able to attract some top notch talent to Buffalo. 

2 guys he hired could get GM jobs within a month of each other. It sucks foe the Bills but that's actually pretty impressive. 

Beane said when he hired hired his staff that his goal was to help further his front office staff's careers. That he would do what he could to ready them to become GM's elsewhere. 

As as much as it stinks to lose them (if we do lose Dawson), I think it could be a good thing too. I would think this would help Buffalo be viewed by other highly qualified scouting & personnel guys around as a place they can come to help their careers (instead of this being a place you came when you didn't have any better options...). 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This really speaks highly of Brandon Beane and the quality of the front office staff he was able to assemble. As a first time GM, Beane was (obviously) able to attract some top notch talent to Buffalo. 

2 guys he hired could get GM jobs within a month of each other. It sucks foe the Bills but that's actually pretty impressive. 

Beane said when he hired hired his staff that his goal was to help further his front office staff's careers. That he would do what he could to ready them to become GM's elsewhere. 

As as much as it stinks to lose them (if we do lose Dawson), I think it could be a good thing too. I would think this would help Buffalo be viewed by other highly qualified scouting & personnel guys around as a place they can come to help their careers (instead of this being a place you came when you didn't have any better options...). 

Definitely. Also, the Bills pay very well for their FO personnel 

• Like (+1) 1