Shutdown 2018

B-Man

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, it lapsed back in November. It either takes true talent of mismanagement to let it slip that long, or about callousness to force it as a political football

Mismanagement.  They were working on the tax bill, and Congress can only do one thing at a time.  

Not even making that up.  I've seen it before, with Congress !@#$ing up HUD reform, then being unable to fix it because "We've moved on to health care." (Bill Nelson)

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm happy to see government on its way to open again. It's a pity that each party decided to take their chance to snipe at each other, and not actually fix a bunch of problems when they had the chance to.

What's a pity is that there has only been an actual federal budget passed something like 1 of the last 6 years.  The chance to fix a bunch of other problems is every day not spent getting a budget passed. 

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the process from day one has been to stall and jam it up and not rush into foolish and impulsive alterations to the fabric of the More Perfect Union

Very key word here.

You still gotta get things done.  We aren't striving for pure perfection.  That's a pipedream!

We are striving a MORE Perfect Union.  And, it all begins with what you start with.  The bar can be pretty low. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Very key word here.

You still gotta get things done.  We aren't striving for pure perfection.  That's a pipedream!

We are striving a MORE Perfect Union.  And, it all begins with what you start with.  The bar can be pretty low. 

LBJ was able to run with his visions the most of a POTUS (i guess Lincoln is up there, but he wasn't beloved by a lot of the country and the media was on him worse than Trump)

and that turned out with some great things and a lot more horrible things we'll never get over in North America....

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

LBJ was able to run with his visions the most of a POTUS (i guess Lincoln is up there, but he wasn't beloved by a lot of the country and the media was on him worse than Trump)

and that turned out with some great things and a lot more horrible things we'll never get over in North America....

Really, Lincoln?  I can see LBJ.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

suspension of Habeus Corpus is kinda a big deal throughout the country

Caro's book on LBJ  "Master of the Senate" shows how perfect the jamming and old-boys network kept legislation from getting to law for 100 years, then with LBJ's experience of Senate workings, and 100% total adoration by the media and largest landslide win in history in all chambers, he was able to move it more than anyone else before or since

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Mismanagement.  They were working on the tax bill, and Congress can only do one thing at a time.  

Not even making that up.  I've seen it before, with Congress !@#$ing up HUD reform, then being unable to fix it because "We've moved on to health care." (Bill Nelson)

I've never understood why Congress can't multitask.  So ridiculous.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm happy to see government on its way to open again. It's a pity that each party decided to take their chance to snipe at each other, and not actually fix a bunch of problems when they had the chance to.

So they’re out of chances to fix anything else... forever? :o

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So did a lot of his female interns. He used to expose himself regularly. 

11 minutes ago, Nanker said:

So they’re out of chances to fix anything else... forever? :o

Both sides had a chance where they had things that they both wanted and need the other side to give. There was a chance to offer a compromise, do more permanent fixes rather than kicking the can down the road. Which they did.

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Both sides had a chance where they had things that they both wanted and need the other side to give. There was a chance to offer a compromise, do more permanent fixes rather than kicking the can down the road. Which they did.

that's the true essence of politics in this day and age

there are worse situations that can be faced

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Can't remember the last time our "leadership" didn't kick the can down the road.

2003, maybe?  Hell, even with the 2008 bailout, that harpy Pelosi and the House Republican children kicked that down the road for a couple weeks.  Obama's reign was nothing but kicking the can down the road.

Well, this will be interesting to see if McConnell keeps his word on holding votes on immigration and where that goes. 

I really like like the fact the Dems can better prepare for the fight over DACA. The WH and Conservatives were able to get their immigrant scapegoating propaganda out there (Immigrants are murderers, Dems want open borders) but a cooler and more rational debate can hopefully happen now. 

I stand firmly behind the belief that this was Schumer stalling regarding the memo more than anything else. Trying to change the news cycle - which has worked many times before - didn't work this time. 

Instead, the dems got weaker, Schumer got exposed, and now everyone is clear that the Dems care more about ILLEGAL immigrants than they do the poor, the black community, or the military. Bad look, dems, real bad look. 

And it's only going to get worse as the year chugs along. 

y6yTzWn6_normal.png POLITICO

@politico

Liberal activists are furious with Democratic senators after most of them agreed to reopen the government without a firm path to shielding young immigrants from deportation. http://politi.co/2G2jnTf 

If progressives were already having a bad day, this might make it worse:

As if the government funding deal wasn't bad enough, we now find out there's yet more tax cuts hidden in it.

The bill contains $31 billion in tax cuts & it delays implementing 3 health care taxes related to proper functioning of Obamacare.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/us/politics/shutdown-spending-tax-cuts-obamacare.html?smid=tw-share 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Well, this will be interesting to see if McConnell keeps his word on holding votes on immigration and where that goes. 

I really like like the fact the Dems can better prepare for the fight over DACA. The WH and Conservatives were able to get their immigrant scapegoating propaganda out there (Immigrants are murderers, Dems want open borders) but a cooler and more rational debate can hopefully happen now. 

If you honestly believe no murderers,  rapists or drug dealers are illegally crossing the border, then there is no hope for you

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Schumer’s internal polls must have looked awful to have caved so quickly and completely.

That was what I was thinking when I heard they wanted to end the shutdown so quickly.

The #SchumerShutDown thing was a great marketing campaign, and apparently worked to pin it on him and the Democrats.