Shutdown 2018

B-Man

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Dem talking points I see.... Aren't your dreamers kids? So then tell me, how do they have jobs or college? 

Oops....

But then, maybe your referring to the kids parents? Who brought them here illegally? But isn't it still a federal crime to hire an illegal? So again, how do they have jobs?

Dreamers are about .001% of the military, or whatever microscopic number it is.

32 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Did you read what she was trying to get passed? Or just watch this clip. Because what she was trying to get passed was more than just military funding.

The dems are asking Americans to choose between supporting our military or supporting people who are not citizens. It's a bad look. They overplayed their hand.

The way I understand it is that was a stand alone bill to fund the miltary during the shut down. I think it actually may be the same one they passed right at the start of the shut down in 2013, that she re-introduced but I'm not sure in that. 

DACA was not attached to it though from what I can tell.

Here is the actual bill -

H R 1301 - Mar 8, 2017 · Provides appropriations for FY2017 for Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO)/ the Global War on Terrorism. ... Provides appropriations for Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) for the military departments and other DOD agencies. Provides appropriations for the Defense Working Capital Funds.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1301

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The way I understand it is that was a stand alone bill to fund the miltary during the shut down. I think it actually may be the same one they passed right at the start of the shut down in 2013, that she re-introduced but I'm not sure in that. 

H R 1301 - Mar 8, 2017 · Provides appropriations for FY2017 for Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO)/ the Global War on Terrorism. ... Provides appropriations for Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) for the military departments and other DOD agencies. Provides appropriations for the Defense Working Capital Funds.

That bill is a great big pile of ****.  It does everything but "support the troops."  It even throws money at programs that are fee-based and don't need funding (source: they were MY programs).  

McConnell made the right decision.  May have been for the wrong reasons, but it was still the right decision.

• Like (+1) 1

@ least @ work it will be just us lock & dam operators... No bosses and maintenance guys... Yet, they will get a nice vacation and rumor has it the Trump White House will do what Obama did and still give them their pay for being furloughed.  How sweet is that.  The desk jockeys and 9-5, M-F guys will get a nice paid vacation!

Not sure how it will shake out.  Last time they furloughed them and still paid them.  I will be going in for one more tonight then off till Friday and Saturday days, 0600-1800.

They can close the Statue of Liberty but not a lock and dam... WTF gives! :angry:

Anyway... I wonder what a mess it would be if they didn't get paid?  The non-essentials, who would pay their share of the health bennies? Etc...???

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have been working straight through.  Same last time... Never missed a beat.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thanks Exile, keep us updated, hope this is over soon but no real opinion about it....

It's all a joke... Dog & Pony show... Blame game on both sides.

The people that need to move the economy are working.  I used to be seasonal way back in early 1990s.  They moved us all to non-seasonal back eons ago.  A few years ago they get a bug up their arse that every lock & dam, the two newest guys coming in will be seasonal and subjected to winter furlough if warranted.  Those are the FNG's that would take hit during shutdowns too. Guess what? One of those guys has deployed (as a Civilian, own choosing, w/our Agency) in Afghanistan the past 14 months... We are all covering for him with OT.  We simply can't cover 24/7/365 for the other FNG if they furlough him because of this clusterphuck of a gov't mess without OT REALLY hemorrhaging.  And brass is bellyaching that OT is hemorrhaging now.

Yeah... But everybody keep on dreaming that everything is coming to a grinding halt.

It's all a joke.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's all a joke... Dog & Pony show... Blame game on both sides.

The people that need to move the economy are working.

You know who else is still working?  The people who run, administer, and adjudicate DACA.

Yep, the program that's supposedly causing all this is doesn't get suspended during a shutdown.  That's how thoroughly !@#$ing ridiculous this posturing is.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

You know who else is still working?  The people who run, administer, and adjudicate DACA.

Yep, the program that's supposedly causing all this is doesn't get suspended during a shutdown.  That's how thoroughly !@#$ing ridiculous this posturing is.

Wow!

Meanwhile:

"We pre-paid for the Statue of Liberty and can't get in!"

Oops.  That will teach you to pre-pay anything with the gov't! ;)

On 1/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/19/16911148/government-shutdown-unified-control

Congratulations repblicans on making history! 

Also, don't forget Trump's comments on the 2013 government shut down. He said -

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top. I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.

when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.”

They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.

“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.

Funny how much his point of view has changed now, isn't it?

and don't forget where he was all for a government shut down in 2013 and congratulated the republicans for it -

http://time.com/5109760/government-shutdown-donald-trump-tweets/

Did VOX also compare how both Presidents responded to the shutdown and steps they took to minimize the pain?

#SchumerShutDown

Reminder (in 2013)

I believe in immigration reform. What if I persuaded my caucus to say I’m going to shut the government down, I’m going to not pay our bills unless I get my way. It’s a politics of idiocy, of confrontation, of paralysis.”

Yeah, Chuck, what if ?

Needless to say, what Schumer envisioned as the Democratic equivalent of the 2013 shutdown is exactly what he has done in the 2018 shutdown. By his own definition, he has embraced the politics of idiocy, confrontation, and paralysis. Schumer goes on to say that Senate Democrats and President Obama said, “We’re not going to give in to this kind of brinksmanship, where basically a gun is put to your head…

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

#SchumerShutDown

Reminder (in 2013)

I believe in immigration reform. What if I persuaded my caucus to say I’m going to shut the government down, I’m going to not pay our bills unless I get my way. It’s a politics of idiocy, of confrontation, of paralysis.”

Yeah, Chuck, what if ?

Needless to say, what Schumer envisioned as the Democratic equivalent of the 2013 shutdown is exactly what he has done in the 2018 shutdown. By his own definition, he has embraced the politics of idiocy, confrontation, and paralysis. Schumer goes on to say that Senate Democrats and President Obama said, “We’re not going to give in to this kind of brinksmanship, where basically a gun is put to your head…

I'm a fan of this guy:

DUBRc67X0AAp567.jpg

(I know you already posted the picture, but Schumer's reminder is worth posting again.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yet another fact is becoming clear about the President that was argued in Wolfe's book. The idiot literally sides with the last person he talks to. He made deals with the senate but then talked to Know Nothing Stephen Miller and the deal was off. 

Even Republicans are angry 

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/370006-graham-stephen-miller-makes-immigration-deal-impossible

On a side note, can we see in Lindsey Graham's moderation on immigration the fear of a bluing South Carolina? :wub:

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Yet another fact is becoming clear about the President that was argued in Wolfe's book. The idiot literally sides with the last person he talks to.

Most of us have known that for years.  Again, it's like you're the last person on the planet to figure this out.

SENATE SET FOR NOON SHOWDOWN

How illegal immigrant Dreamers amassed power to force government shutdown
 by Stephen Dinan

Original Article

Democrats called it the Trump shutdown. Republicans labeled it the Schumer shutdown. But in reality, it was the Dreamer shutdown. The recipe for the current congressional gridlock is complex, but at the top of the list of ingredients are the illegal immigrant Dreamers who pushed Democrats to launch the filibuster that sent the government careening into a partial shutdown. It’s a stunning display of political leverage for a group that, at most, numbers several million, can’t vote now, and even under the most generous proposals wouldn’t be able to cast ballots for another decade.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I think the Dems will cave and take a hit on this. Though, it should be Trump. 

Maybe. They take the CHIPS win and wait three weeks for the next showdown and get a  better PR campaign together to let America see how nice the Dreamers are and how evil the GOP is trying to ethnically cleanse them. 

And please don't lose a load in your diaper over the ethnic cleansing point. Go check out the real lies coming out of the White House about open borders. 

I would be willing to rake the Dems over the coals for playing hot potato. If they hadn't offered a bi-partison deal that gave Trump and the Republicans:

• Increased military spending
  • increased border patrol inline with what Trump asked for
  • reworking chain migration so that the parents of DACA kids can't get citizenship
  • a bailout for letting CHIP (a very well liked bipartisan program)
  • A legislative answer to DACA that the president ASKED FOR
  • SOME funding for the Wall. You know, the massive public works and infrastructure project that will require the seizure of land from private citizens, that will be applied broadly to all states on which it rests (and not up to the states themselves) with an uncertain long term funding. Oh, and every expert, including the ones working for the White House say it won't do what it's supposed to. Are you sure this isn't a liberal campaign promise? :rolleyes: 

But no, because poor people from sh*thole countries might be allowed to legally get in, let's shut down the federal government and then block attempts to pay our soldiers. Thanks Republicans!