Joe Marino of Fanrag Sports Talks Bills' QB Situation on WGR

1-12: Joe Marino of FanRag Sports with Howard and Jeremy (16:06)

Marino was on this morning to discuss the Bills' QB situation with Tyrod.  He discussed options in the veteran QB market via trade or UFA as well as the 2018 QB class.  He believes that Baker Mayfield represents the best option for the Bills among the QB prospects.  He wrote a piece a few days ago on the subject.

https://www.fanragsports.com/what-should-bills-do-at-qb/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I heard this interview but his reasoning on selecting Mayfield is flawed. He’s assuming not only that Dennison stays but they will draft Mayfield because he fits his system. The first one isn’t a given and even if he does stay, Beane clearly stated they will not be selecting a qB based on fitting the system of the OC. If they take Mayfield it will be because he’s the QB they want, period. 

He’s also saying they chose Dennison over Tyrod because of the trade for KB. KB can fit in any OC’s system. They didn’t want Tyrod to be this team’s QB going forward to begin with, and probably wish they had just moved on last year. Dennison tried to adapt to TT but there is only so much you can do. Roman and Lynn adapted to him and they were still last in passing. That said Dennison wasn’t McD’s first choice at OC and TT wasn’t his first choice for QB. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thinking outside the box would be signing  Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater, If they both hit FA.  Smith gets a solid 1 or 2 year deal tops. Teddy gets an incentive laden deal that pays him well if/when he starts and plays so many games etc.. 

That frees up all our draft picks to pick prime players to fill out our holes and of course we would still have room for a FA or 2

Yeah I know most likely not happneing but bridgewater is a wildcard 1st rd pick that would be better on paper than any QB that fell to us...  With Smith also brought in teddy can have the luxury of one more season of making sure the knee is truly healed well or maybe he wins the job out right.

Just having some fun with scenarios

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Thinking outside the box would be signing  Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater, If they both hit FA.  Smith gets a solid 1 or 2 year deal tops. Teddy gets an incentive laden deal that pays him well if/when he starts and plays so many games etc.. 

That frees up all our draft picks to pick prime players to fill out our holes and of course we would still have room for a FA or 2

Yeah I know most likely not happneing but bridgewater is a wildcard 1st rd pick that would be better on paper than any QB that fell to us...  With Smith also brought in teddy can have the luxury of one more season of making sure the knee is truly healed well or maybe he wins the job out right.

Just having some fun with scenarios

Your scenario makes it seem all the bargaining power is with the Bills, who will be dictating terms that favor OBD. I suggest reality is just the opposite.

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard this interview but his reasoning on selecting Mayfield is flawed. He’s assuming not only that Dennison stays but they will draft Mayfield because he fits his system. The first one isn’t a given and even if he does stay, Beane clearly stated they will not be selecting a qB based on fitting the system of the OC. If they take Mayfield it will be because he’s the QB they want, period. 

He’s also saying they chose Dennison over Tyrod because of the trade for KB. KB can fit in any OC’s system. They didn’t want Tyrod to be this team’s QB going forward to begin with, and probably wish they had just moved on last year. Dennison tried to adapt to TT but there is only so much you can do. Roman and Lynn adapted to him and they were still last in passing. That said Dennison wasn’t McD’s first choice at OC and TT wasn’t his first choice for QB. 

I heard it too and found the bolded very interesting.  

When I see Tyrod gone will be when I believe it. OBD should have moved on last year and I thought for sure he would be gone but yet he is still here with a small possibility of a 2018 return, the Rex that keeps on taking.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You wouldn't want Brees or Wilson as the Bills' QB?

Sure, if you're offering them I'll take them. Odds are against shorter QBs succeeding, I'd rather minimize risk. We're looking for a prototypical pocket passer, much easier to be prototypical pocket passer at 6'4 than it is at 6'0

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

Sure, if you're offering them I'll take them. Odds are against shorter QBs succeeding, I'd rather minimize risk. We're looking for a prototypical pocket passer, much easier to be prototypical pocket passer at 6'4 than it is at 6'0

We've seen plenty of stiffs with prototypical size and measurables.  You can either play the position or you can't.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You wouldn't want Brees or Wilson as the Bills' QB?

I'm not sure he's Brees or Wilson.  What I can say is that if I'm giving up those kinds of assets to move up to 5, I'm giving them up for the 5th best player in the draft and I don't see him as that.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

We've seen plenty of stiffs with prototypical size and measurables.  You can either play the position or you can't.

I can agree with that.  Some got overpaid and have crippled their franchise, Flacco cough cough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm not sure he's Brees or Wilson.  What I can say is that if I'm giving up those kinds of assets to move up to 5, I'm giving them up for the 5th best player in the draft and I don't see him as that.

I'm not either, but I won't discount the possibility of him playing at a high level in the NFL because of his size or lack thereof. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

No argument from me there. The draft is a crap shoot. IMO the best thing you can do to help yourself when picking is to minimize risks. Height is a risk, it's the reason Wilson wasn't a first round pick. You're right though, we drafted EJ for his height and even for his hand size so no, my position isn't unassailable, but I think percentage-wise you're probably safer picking the taller guys if you're looking for a prototypical pocket passer. 

56 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am obviously OK with this.  I have been in the Mayfield corner for a while.

If they can get up higher to get one of the top 2, that is fine with me, as well.

...and if need be (but unlikely if you get any of the top 3 qbs) I am starting to warm to the Alex Smith "bridge" arrangement.

I would prefer Darnold but it's going to be too expensive. I like Baker but am worried he could have Manziel traits? Anyone here who knows more about Mayfield feel free to put my mind at ease.

• Like (+1) 1