Bills' WR Corps DFL in the NFL in Separation with the Ball in the Air

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He should see an eye doctor.

Or...maybe those teams have their QBs in shotgun a lot more, or do more 5-7 step drops, or generally throw the ball farther back from the LOS than other teams do. I don't see much correlation between 'air yards' and net yards gained/attempt (for example, the Saints have the highest NY/A in the entire league and the Browns are second to last), which is an actual measure of how many yards were GAINED per attempt past the LOS as opposed to simply how far the ball travelled in the air. Air yards is IMO another stat that needs much, much more context. 

18 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

He was just using his eyes.

I'm really starting to wonder if the people who post stats like these take the time to think about what they might actually mean...I mean, if you're comfortable posting this chart in an attempt to prove that we threw downfield a lot WITHOUT acknowledging what it's actually measuring (simply how far the ball is going) and that the team at the top of the list is gaining the second fewest yards from scrimmage per attempt IN THE LEAGUE (while the Saints, who are in fact gaining the MOST yards in the league per attempt, are at the bottom)...can you really say you're thinking critically? It's just propaganda at that point, finding stats to validate your opinion and trying to pass them off as some kind of proof. Disingenuous IMO.

I don't think anyone is justifying TTs inconsistent play throughout the year.

Its a stat simply to show that TT isn't the only problem on this offence.

The QB play wasn't good enough. Offensive coordinator wasn't good enough. O line wasn't good enough for the most part. 

And in this case, it shows the WRS aren't good enough.

Is anyone actually arguing that the Bills receivers were good this year?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

I don't think anyone is justifying TTs inconsistent play throughout the year.

Its a stat simply to show that TT isn't the only problem on this offence.

The QB play wasn't good enough. Offensive coordinator wasn't good enough. O line wasn't good enough for the most part. 

And in this case, it shows the WRS aren't good enough.

Is anyone actually arguing that the Bills receivers were good this year?

It's pretty obvious to anyone that that weren't and it's not exactly a surprise given who they went into the season with.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's pretty obvious to anyone that that weren't and it's not exactly a surprise given who they went into the season with.

Its no shock our WRs were below average.

this stat is still pretty hazy and hard to discuss without context. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its no shock our WRs were below average.

this stat is still pretty hazy and hard to discuss without context. 

Yeah, I’m not sure what the stat tells but it confirms my feelings. They don’t get separation. It’s hard to make big plays without space. Separation is a product of route running, speed and shiftiness IMO. Do you beat press? Do teams play off for fear of getting torched? None of that applies to the Bills receivers. The reality is they aren’t a good group; we didn’t need this information to tell that. It does support it some though.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what the stat tells but it confirms my feelings. They don’t get separation. It’s hard to make big plays without space. Separation is a product of route running, speed and shiftiness IMO. Do you beat press? Do teams play off for fear of getting torched? None of that applies to the Bills receivers. The reality is they aren’t a good group; we didn’t need this information to tell that. It does support it some though.

Without knowing what it means, I just worry I’m using confirmation bias here to say “see, I was right!”

Is it the targeted receiver only or all in routes?

if just the targeted - do 2 or 3 totally blown coverages (which we didn’t see often) really impact a stat that is a matter of feet (and between many a matter of inches) between rankings? 

how exact are the measuring tools being used? And what method is used? 

I agree the group wasn’t good and have carried that opinion back to the offseason — but the stats questionable without knowing what’s going into it, yet alone if 6 inches extra seperation is meaningful  

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah.  It is entirely possible that running a spread offense as your base offense would have allowed Tyrod to produce much better.   It would have been a lot, lot more exciting.   That's for sure.   The guy doesn't throw many picks.

In the past couple of years prior to this one I noticed that most of his big passing plays came out of shotgun or on roll outs where he was either flushed out of the pocket or on designed roll outs.

I think the guy is one of the best improvisers in the NFL (I know people will disagree with that.) I don't think it is highly disputable.   His athleticism is off the charts.   Needed to exploit that by letting him extend pass plays way longer than a normal QB could and by having receivers run separating routes instead of bunching routes.   That creates more openness as time ticks on.   In those situations Tyrod made plays that would destroy defenses.    And I think he could have done that to a lot of teams on 1/2 of their possessions if there was enough emphasis on it.

Oh well.  Onward and upward.

1. Mostly because he doesn't throw for many yards or TDs. 

2. Yes, Taylor is the "Robin Williams of QBs". Those 3rd & Long checkdowns to Mike Tolbert were hilarious.

3. Hope you like holding penalties. 

4. He has almost never done this. Define what you mean by "destroy". 

5. I think this might be possible if the teams he is playing against only put 8 men on the field. 

Edited by twoandfourteen

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

We went over this before the season started. Look at the WR's they trotted out there, none of which could regularly seperate. Thompson can't get off the line regularly, Jmatt isn't explosive, Zay Jones can't escape from a paper bag, Benjamin is the Yao Ming version of a WR (with a bad knee instead of a foot)

Sadly I don't think this has much TADO with Tyrod processing plays. Many a times we have seen guys separated and the ball doesn't come out in rhythm. 

The whole passing game needs fixing. Starts with one. TT.

lol.....True that.....and you forgot a TE corp that would put any Olympic Volleyball team to shame......

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

We went over this before the season started. Look at the WR's they trotted out there, none of which could regularly seperate. Thompson can't get off the line regularly, Jmatt isn't explosive, Zay Jones can't escape from a paper bag, Benjamin is the Yao Ming version of a WR (with a bad knee instead of a foot)

Sadly I don't think this has much TADO with Tyrod processing plays. Many a times we have seen guys separated and the ball doesn't come out in rhythm. 

The whole passing game needs fixing. Starts with one. TT.

Extensively as I recall with one poster in particular arguing vehemently that JMatt was a deep threat because of his 40 time posted in shorts.   Good times. :lol:

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

You are flat out stupid.

He has the lowest interception percentage in history numbnuts.  :lol:

Get your head out of your ass.

Actually, most passing records have a 1500 minimum attempt threshold. Taylor doesn't qualify.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

You are flat out stupid.

He has the lowest interception percentage in history numbnuts.  :lol:

Get your head out of your ass.

Stay with me now...

He avoids INTs because he doesn't throw for many yards or TDs. Defenders tend to protect the areas of the field most beneficial to the offense, such as the end zone or first down marker. So, Tyrod throws the ball out of bounds instead. INT avoided, but so is the first down or a TD. 

It's like robbing a bank -- but instead of stealing money because that's where the guards are, you grab a stack of deposit slips and run out the door. 

4 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Stay with me now...

He avoids INTs because he doesn't throw for many yards or TDs. Defenders tend to protect the areas of the field most beneficial to the offense, such as the end zone or first down marker. So, Tyrod throws the ball out of bounds instead. INT avoided, but so is the first down or a TD. 

It's like robbing a bank -- but instead of stealing money because that's where the guards are, you grab a stack of deposit slips and run out the door. 

You are stupid.

I pointed out why you are stupid.  Yet you are too stupid to understand it.   You are blinded by hatred without cause.

Lowest interception percentage translates across number of passes genius.  3 years as a starter for almost all the games those years is plenty of data points to measure trends.

The proof is right in front of your face in writing.   But you can't fix stupid.

Nice try though Crusher.   Your posts still suck as bad as they did before your new choice of aliases.  :lol::lol:

Edited by PolishDave