Andy Benoit: Why Pocket QBs are Favored in Today's NFL

Because if you aren't athletic to scramble for big gains the only thing you can do is throw, unless you are damn good at that you will be replaced.  Therefore any Pocket QB who makes it this far (NFL) does that one thing very well.

Edited by Woodman19

10 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Because if you aren't athletic to scramble for big gains the only thing you can do is throw, unless you are damn good at that you will be replaced.  Therefore any Pocket QB who makes it this far (NFL) does that one thing very well.

You did not read the article.

• Like (+1) 2

Nice read.

Interesting that the longer a QB can stay alive in the pocket (Wentz) the more the play design can break down the defense as the defenses are designed to only last roughly 3 seconds. Tyrod is a QB who has one of the highest amounts of time to throw and still fails miserably at it. That said it is a no brainer who the problem is and Tyrod needs to go. 

Edited by PeterGriffin
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So when the Saints didn't make the playoffs the previous three seasons in a row,  Brees wasn't a pocket passer?

King should have just titled it: "Good Teams with Really Good QBs Dominate the Playoffs".

Seriously.  I wonder what his article would have said if the Panthers, Seahawks, and Packers were there as they are most years.  In the AFC 2 of the 4 teams have qbs that operate outside of the pocket.  Not his best work...  The last part made him come off like a douche as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, section122 said:

Seriously.  I wonder what his article would have said if the Panthers, Seahawks, and Packers were there as they are most years.  In the AFC 2 of the 4 teams have qbs that operate outside of the pocket.  Not his best work...  The last part made him come off like a douche as well.

The bit about the friends and the sushi?  Good grief

Good article.

But when have pocket passers NOT ruled the day in the NFL?

Steve Young and Russell Wilson, IMO, are the closest to "running QBs" who've won a Super Bowl.  And I don't consider either a running QB.  Other than those two, I can't think of a Super Bowl champion QB who wouldn't be considered a true pocket passer.

I hope it never changes.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1