UPDATED: 44 Games with Tyrod at QB - % breakdown

Since there was quite a bit of consternation regarding the omission of rushing stats in the previous TT breakdown, I have included it here. Mods, please either merge or delete the previous thread as you see fit. 

TYROD TAYLOR

44 total games as the Bills QB:

INTs

Games with 3 INT: 1 - 2.2%

Games with 2 INT: 0 - 0.0%

Games with 1 INT: 13 - 29.5%

Games with 0 INT: 30 - 68.1%

Games with 1 or 0 INT - 43 - 97.7%

Games with 1+ INT - 14 - 31.8%

Games with 2+ INT - 1 - 2.2%

INT W-L
0 — 19-11
1 — 4-9
3 — 0-1

Passing Yards

43 games under 300 - 97.7%

38 games under 280 - 86.3%

30 games under 230 - 68.1%

23 games under 200 - 52.2%

16 games under 180 - 36.3%

7 games under 130 - 15.9%

Passing TDs

Games with 3 passing TDs: 6 - 13.6%

Games with 2 passing TDs: 7 - 15.9%

Games with 1 passing TD: 19 - 43.1%

Games with 0 passing TD: 12 - 27.2%

31 games with 1 or 0 passing TDs - 70.4%

38 games with 2 or fewer passing TDs - 86.3%

13 games with 2 or more passing TDs - 29.5%

12 games with 0 passing TDs - 27.7%

Rushing

3 games with 70-79 rush yds  -  6.1% (2-1)
6 games with 60 rush yds or more - 13.6% (4-2)
10 games with 50 rush yds or more - 22.7% (6-10)

34 games with 49 rush yds or less - 77.2% (17-17)
33 games with 25 rush yds or more - 75.0% (18-15) 
11 games with 24 rush yds or less - 25.0% (5-6) 
4 games with 10 rush yds or less - 9.0%  (1-3)

14 games with 1 Rush TD - 31.8% (7-7)

30 games with 0 Rush TD - 68.2% (16-14)

Passing & Rushing

4 Games with 200+ PYDS, 50+ RYDS - 9.0% (1-3)
7 Games with 175+ PYDS, 50+ RYDS - 15.9% (4-3) 
27 Games with 150+ PYDS, 25+ RYDS - 61.3% (15-12)

1 Game with less than 125 PYDS, 25 RYDS - 2.2% (0-1)

Combined TDs

2 Games with 3 Pass TD, 1 Rush TD - 6.8% (1-1)
1 Game with 2 Pass TD, 1 Rush TD - 2.2% (0-1)
7 Games with 1 Pass TD, 1 Rush TD - 15.9% (4-3)

4 Games with 0 Pass TD, 1 Rush TD - 9.0% (2-2)

21 Games with 1+ Pass TD, 0 Rush TD - 47.7% (13-8)

8 Games with 0 Pass TD, 0 Rush TD - 18.8% (2-6)

Some lists for context, just click the link: 
2015-2017 QBs with 200 yds passing/50 yds rushing in game
http://pfref.com/tiny/HufzQ

2015-2017 QBs with 175 yds passing/50 yds rushing in game
http://pfref.com/tiny/1ekux

2015-2017 QBs with 175 yds passing/25 yds rushing in game
http://pfref.com/tiny/B58DG

2015-2017 QBs with 275 yds passing/35 yds rushing in game
http://pfref.com/tiny/wxycM

Edited by twoandfourteen

42 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Tyrod has a better career winning percentage than Cousins 

Nope. I believe this is the 8 millionth time this has had to be said, and yet it still needs to be heard, obviously. Wins and losses is NOT a stat for individual players. It simply isn't. It's a team stat.

The fact is that Buffalo Bills have a better win percentage in games started by Tyrod than the Washington Redskins have in games started by Kirk Cousins.

Know who is responsible for that? The Buffalo Bills and the Washington team.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nope. I believe this is the 8 millionth time this has had to be said, and yet it still needs to be heard, obviously. Wins and losses is NOT a stat for individual players. It simply isn't. It's a team stat.

The fact is that Buffalo Bills have a better win percentage in games started by Tyrod than the Washington Redskins have in games started by Kirk Cousins.

It is and it isn't.  Proof would be our very own Bills.  From 1998 - 2001 in games Flutie started the team was 21-9 and in games Rob Johnson started we were 9-17. Same coach.  Same offensive line.  Same defense. Same WRs.  Same RBs.  Only difference was the QB and the won loss record was pretty much exactly the opposite.

Lies, lies, damned lies, and statistics...

We have all seen it that there are times when Tyrod goes invisible and becomes useless for an entire half of a game. We have all seen the missed receivers open waving at him. We have all seen holding onto the ball for far too long and not throwing it away at times while taking sacks. 

Don't get me wrong here as I really like the guy and have seen flashes of a top QB at times. The problem is it doesn't happen enough or consistently enough to win games on his own and another major drawback is the inability to make a comeback when the team is down in points. Tyrod Taylor simply cannot carry the team on his shoulders like elite QBs can.

Now, that said there is still time for him to further develop under the right OC/QB coach. The late great SF HC Bill Walsh stated that it generally takes four seasons of playing before a QB fully develops and TT is going to be entering his fourth this 2018 season. What we all miss are those perfect deep bombs to Watkins called by Greg Roman that put the fear of God into DC's and CB's. Those bombs that fans just love to watch also helped open up the run game because the defense was always worried about getting burned by the big play. 

The Bills had some really good offensive coaches in Anthony Lynn, Arron Kromer. Looking back at those first two games in 2016 it was more of Rex Ryans defense failing than it was the Romans run game. IMHO anyway. The Bills went from #1 in rushing TD's, YPA to 15th, 14 with basically the same players.

McD needs to replace his OC and run game coordinator who both look poor compared to Roman/Lynn and hire a guy like Cam Cameron as he is the man who tutored Joe Flacco and built those dominate run offenses that helped develop him. Either build a better offensive team around Tyrod with better coaches, line players, and receivers or find a QB that fits Dennison's scheme. I think the former would be the right move. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It is and it isn't.  Proof would be our very own Bills.  From 1998 - 2001 in games Flutie started the team was 21-9 and in games Rob Johnson started we were 9-17. Same coach.  Same offensive line.  Same defense. Same WRs.  Same RBs.  Only difference was the QB and the won loss record was pretty much exactly the opposite.

No, dude, it is.

Case closed. It is.

Wins and losses are a team stat. It makes about as much sense to refer to QB wins and losses as Long snapper wins and losses. 

As far as Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie, same deal. Wins and losses are a team stat. Simple.

Wanna evaluate the QBs? Look at how the QBs performed. And Flutie and Johnson are indeed prime examples.

Take 1999. The Bills went 10-5 when Flutie started. That makes Flutie terrific, right? bull ****! The offense scored 14, 17, 26, 23, 24, 14, 16, 13, 34, 23, 7, 17, 17, 31, and 13. They averaged 20 points a game. We didn't win so much that year because of Flutie. We won because of the defense, which allowed 14.3 points per game that year, 2nd in the league, and 252.8 yards per game, 1st in the league.

Or take 2000. The Bills went 4-1 when Flutie started. Let's look at those five games. The Bills lost the first one. Flutie must have been terrible, because he started and they lost, according to you. Well, no, they lost 31-27. Flutie was 28/43, 2 TDs and 0 INTs and 8 yards rushing. But, no, according to this dumb idea of giving every win to one player, it was a bad game for Flutie, because they lost. It's not the defense's fault for allowing 31 points. No, it's Flutie's fault. Flutie's next game he went 18 for 35 with 0 TDs and 0 INTs and 15 yards rushing. Great game, Doug, because they won. Flutie's next start the offense scores 16 points and they win. Flutie completes 48% of his passes and has a passer rating of 71.8. Great game, Doug!! They won!! It wasn't the defense allowing only 13 points!! No, no, it was Flutie.

Flutie's fourth start, he goes 16 for 26 for 171 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT, with a passer rating of 64.7 and racks up 6 yards rushing on 6 attempts. Excellent game, Doug!!! They won. It wasn't the defense holding Chicago to three points!!! No, no, it was Flutie's excellent play, theoretically. 

In his final start, Flutie really did have a terrific game, 20 for 25 for 366 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs and the offense scores 42 points. He really did have a large share of that win, which by the way was against 6-10 Seattle.

Yeah, Flutie and Johnson had mostly the same guys around them on the Buffalo offense. But the teams Flutie started against ended the season with a cumulative winning record of 36-44, a winning percentage of 45%. Whereas the teams Johnson started against had a cumulative winning record of 96-80, a winning percentage of 55%. Put another way, of the five teams Flutie started against, three had losing records and two had winning records, whereas of the eleven teams Johnson started against, eight had winning records and three had losing records. In fact, of the games Johnson started, six of the eleven teams he played had win totals in double figures.

More, there were plenty of games where both guys played. Look at game 15 where Johnson started and threw three passes before Flutie finished up throwing 25. Should Johnson really get the blame for that 10 - 13 loss, a loss where Flutie threw more than eight times as many passes as Johnson did? Or look at week 13 where Johnson was bad in a 33 - 6 loss. Johnson went 6 of 18 for 44 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Horrible. If only Flutie had been able to play ... oh , wait, he did. Flutie went 2 for 9 for 31 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT. Couldn't be that Buffalo's whole offense was simply outmanned, could it? No, no, Johnson started so he gets total blame for that loss. None of it belongs to Flutie or the rest of the team.

The whole idea of giving all the credit for wins and losses to one guy is fundamentally flawed and dumb.

Was it Rob Johnson that lost the Music City Miracle game? The idea's ridiculous. But if you look at pure wins and losses, Rob started the game and they lost, so it must've been his fault. Simply doesn't make sense.

It is bone-stupid to try to give one person a win-loss record. It's a team stat. Yeah, some QBs have a huge impact on the game, and pretty much every QB has more impact than any other player. But it's a team game. Unless you believe that Trent Dilfer was sensational the year the Ravens won the title with him running up 7-1 record as their starter was because he was performing at Aaron Rodgers-like levels of proficiency, you have to realize the extremely simple fact that it's a team stat.

Hell, the official name of that stat is actually "TEAM record in games started by this QB (regular season)" (my capitalization).

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Now, that said there is still time for him to further develop under the right OC/QB coach. The late great SF HC Bill Walsh stated that it generally takes four seasons of playing before a QB fully develops and TT is going to be entering his fourth this 2018 season. What we all miss are those perfect deep bombs to Watkins called by Greg Roman that put the fear of God into DC's and CB's. Those bombs that fans just love to watch also helped open up the run game because the defense was always worried about getting burned by the big play. 

McD needs to replace his OC and run game coordinator who both look poor compared to Roman/Lynn and hire a guy like Cam Cameron as he is the man who tutored Joe Flacco and built those dominate run offenses that helped develop him. Either build a better offensive team around Tyrod with better coaches, line players, and receivers or find a QB that fits Dennison's scheme. I think the former would be the right move. 

Next year will be Tyrod's eighth year. Not his fourth. He's not what Bill Walsh was talking about.

We know who Tyrod is. Yeah, he might incrementally improve. But we know his capabilities at this point.

Let's see that Bill Walsh quote. Does it say that guys who sit on the bench and learn for four years will still need four more years of play? 

Please. Name one guy outside of Rich Gannon who turned from a below average QB to a franchise QB after seven years in the league. 

12 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

@twoandfourteen, this has gone off the rail fast.....I don't remember the OP mentioning Cousins yet here we are. Thanks for the time you put into this. Much appreciated. 

Agreed. It has gone off the rails, and I've been a large part of that. 

It was a very interesting OP. Great job, TwoAndFourteen.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

QB can't win playoff games with running. I disregard this stuff.

I think we just were "out-tyroded" by bottles last week.  But maybe it's a fair point to say a running QB only wins in the playoffs against another running QB. 

Edited by SectionC3

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Next year will be Tyrod's eighth year. Not his fourth. He's not what Bill Walsh was talking about.

We know who Tyrod is. Yeah, he might incrementally improve. But we know his capabilities at this point.

Let's see that Bill Walsh quote. Does it say that guys who sit on the bench and learn for four years will still need four more years of play? 

Please. Name one guy outside of Rich Gannon who turned from a below average QB to a franchise QB after seven years in the league. 

I notice you left off the first part of my post in which I pretty much stated TT has some serious issues.

On to your post though. That was four years of playing time usually with the same OC, QB coach. Look at Steve Young and what would have happened had he stayed in Tampa or gone to another poor team. As it was he rode the bench while playing sporadically for 4 years at SF under Walsh and then in his first year of starting went 5-5 in his fifth year and that was throwing to Jerry Rice. 

Young was a first-round pick, picked first overall and not a 6th rounder who was known it was going to some take time to develop him. Taylor has had how many OC's/QB coaches in his seven years?  That in itself can make for a broken QB. Tyrod is a proven NFL starter who can win games provided you surround him with the right players so you can't expect him to develop at the same pace as a first round guy.

Hey, the guy may never improve over what he has already shown and it will be up to his HC to determine if he wants to keep a QB like Taylor who fits his style of run first offense with a stout defense. I myself still believe he can further develop into a better player with a quality OC tutoring him and I don't think Dennison is that guy. 

So -- aside from my own burning commitment to procrastination -- the impetus for putting that list together really stemmed from a desire to provide a resource for people to use when the inevitable "BILLS ARE SO STUPIDZ AND RACIST!!!!!" scorching hot takes start rolling in from the national & social media when the team parts ways with Tyrod Taylor. 

Simply pick your favorite Tyrod stat from the list above and go to town. There should be an answer for just about anything thrown our way over the next few months. 

Plus it was kind of interesting to really take a look at where the narratives surrounding Taylor come from, and if they are based in any statistical reality. As I was going along, it occurred to me that what I was doing was really defining what exactly we have watched over the past 3 years. 

"He doesn't turn the ball over" - TRUE.

• He has not thrown an INT in 68.1% of his games. 

"His passing numbers don't reflect his rushing contribution." - MOSTLY FALSE.

• Only 61% of his games has he thrown for more than 150 yards and rushed for more than 25. That means that for roughly 40% of his games as a starting QB in Buffalo, he has personally been responsible for LESS than 175 yards of total offense.  (Let's be honest, 175 yds of total offense from your QB is kind of a low bar to cross.)

I could keep going, but I think you get the idea.

I used the "play index" tool at pro-football-reference.com to pull all of the stats above. I've been screwing around with it for the past few days, and once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long at all to find information. It can be found here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi

Edited by twoandfourteen

so There is 3 options, keep him and build around him for the future, be a team that gets 150 yards passing and 150 yards rushing and hopes to win close games. Or pay him 18 mil to be a backup next year.  Or get rid of him. The choice seems clear he’s fools gold. 

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Nice breakdown.

Winning % is a team stat.

Yes winning is a team stat and this current Buffalo Bills football team won 9 games and earned its 1st playoff game in 17 years and not because of a boatload of talent. The Bills finally did what had become the impossible with hard work, dedication and good character.

Tyrod Taylor exemplifies what makes this team play the way it does and accomplish the things they do in my humble opinion.