Possible Darkhorse FA QB's

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I looked at the last year they played.  We can't get 2015 Tyrod back.

And I asked you to look at the last year that they both played. You know, Tyrod's first year starting in the NFL? Or just look at their career averages. Why ignore 1/2 to 2/3 of a player's history?

You aren't getting 2015 Teddy back either, and he wasn't even good then.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

He doesn't walk funny on the sidelines.  No one has reported any lingering concerns from the injury.  He's the active backup on the team.  You think if Teddy couldn't play because of his leg, they would have taken him off IR and activated him on gameday?

Teddy's skill set is better for Dennison's system.  He throws to his WR's.  At worst, he's the same as TT, and costs about $8M cheaper, which gives us 8M reasons to look at him.

So Teddy's 3000 yards and 14 TDs will look better than TT's?  Or at least cheaper?  He targeted his WR's a few more times than TT?  (a reception is a reception--and all those WR catches resulted in not many yards).

They took him off IR because they are paying him and he was cleared but the medical staff.  He hasn't been tested yet.   

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And I asked you to look at the last year that they both played. You know, Tyrod's first year starting in the NFL? Or just look at their career averages. Why ignore 1/2 to 2/3 of a player's history?

The problem is, we have new data of a worse Tyrod since 2015.  You're welcome to think 2018 Tyrod on the Bills is going to look like 2015 Tyrod, but I'm betting he'll be a probably worse version of 2017 Tyrod.  Trendlines and all that.

Why aren't we getting 2015 Teddy?  What other year would you predict he would most likely resemble, if not his last one?

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see KC just releasing Smith.

Someone will trade for him.  Question is what teams are willing to give.

Teams that are interested have two choices to consider:

1.  You trade for Alex Smiths current contract only.  One year @ 17 Million.

Minimum would be about a 4th, maybe someone desperate will do a 3rd.  Remember it's only a 1 year.  Smith would have no say in this.

2.  You trade for Alex Smith with an extension contract.

Picks would probably be much higher and maybe multiple.  Smith would have to agree so he has a choice on where he goes.

I for one, don't know what will happen, but I would bet Alex Smith will not be on KC's roster next year.

Alex Smith will go to Denver.  That is a match for both of them.  Denver has a playoff-ready defense and needs a steady hand to get the ball to Sanders.  Smith will be happy to go there.

Bridgewater is an intriguing option. He certainly possesses the character and leadership qualities McBeane appreciate. He's an extremely hard worker as well. However, I think Beane really wants a QB with prototypical size because as he's said before, QBs who succeed can regularly deliver the ball from the pocket. As we've seen, Taylor's size is not ideal for a pocket passer. Bridgewater has maybe an inch or two in height over Taylor but he too is a guy you'd have to use shotgun and a lot of deep drops so he can see more of the field. 

Tyler Bray... Didn't even know that guy was still in the league. Doubt they have any interest. 

Bradford...eh, maybe. But does he wanna be "the guy" somewhere or is he gonna be alright knowing he's going to be a bridge/mentor for a rookie. 

McCarron is an interesting name, pretty unproven though. 

I don't like the idea of handing the keys to Peterman while their rookie sits and learns. 

Gonna be an interesting off-season. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

There is not a big difference between TB and TT

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So Teddy's 3000 yards and 14 TDs will look better than TT's?  Or at least cheaper?  He targeted his WR's a few more times than TT?  (a reception is a reception--and all those WR catches resulted in not many yards).

They took him off IR because they are paying him and he was cleared but the medical staff.  He hasn't been tested yet.   

Actually, LeSean McCoy averaged a gruesome 7.6 YPR in 2017. That comes out to a gross 5.8 yards per target

He was our most targeted player, remember?

Teddy's most targeted player last time he played?  Stefon Diggs.  13.8 YPR.  Which comes out to a much better 8.57 yards per target.

Do you think ~3 yards per target makes a difference?

You know players are evaluated on the practice field too, right?  Like, by the coaching staff?  Like, all the time?

Edited by jmc12290

Just now, ganesh said:

There is not a big difference between TB and TT

The big difference is one can and does strain a defense by using his legs, the other doesn't.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

The problem is, we have new data of a worse Tyrod since 2015.  You're welcome to think 2018 Tyrod on the Bills is going to look like 2015 Tyrod, but I'm betting he'll be a probably worse version of 2017 Tyrod.  Trendlines and all that.

Why aren't we getting 2015 Teddy?  What other year would you predict he would most likely resemble, if not his last one?

The problem is that if you look at the totality of their NFL careers Teddy has never been superior to Tyrod, and has now gone through a catastrophic knee injury. I would predict he looks like his career average at 80%.

6 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Actually, LeSean McCoy averaged a gruesome 7.6 YPR in 2017. That comes out to a gross 5.8 yards per target

He was our most targeted player, remember?

Teddy's most targeted player last time he played?  Stefon Diggs.  13.8 YPR.  Which comes out to a much better 8.57 yards per target.

Do you think ~3 yards per target makes a difference?

Clearly it doesn't.  Bridgewater's offenses were among the worst in the NFL.

So YOU evaluated him on the practice field too?  You said YOU saw no evidence.

Edited by Mr. WEO

6 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Matthew Fairburn mentioned Tyler Bray below. Good competition for Peterman and top end rookie ?

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/01/nfl_free-agent_quarterbacks_2018_who_could_be_available_for_buffalo_bills.html

I've been talking about Bray for years.  Thought for sure the Bills would go after him considering the KC coach (can't think of his name) came over.  Makes you wonder though why they'd trade to get Mahomes if Bray was any good.  If I remember right, he has a big arm, has good size, is a gunslinger, but is immature or cocky.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Clearly it doesn't.  Bridgewater's offenses were among the worst in the NFL.

So YOU evaluated him on the practice field too?  You said YOU saw no evidence.

What?  They had a higher ranking in points scored in both 2014 AND 2015 than the Bills in 2017.

Stop trying to make things up.  I have the tabs open right next to me.

I haven't seen any evidence.  I think it'd be VERY weird if Teddy couldn't execute on the practice field and nobody knew about it.

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

What?  They had a higher ranking in points scored in both 2014 AND 2015 than the Bills in 2017.

Stop trying to make things up.  I have the tabs open right next to me.

I haven't seen any evidence.  I think it'd be VERY weird if Teddy couldn't execute on the practice field and nobody knew about it.

27 and 29th in total offense.  Teddy scored 14 TDs passing and 1 rushing in 2014.  He wasn't responsible for racking up many of those points on that team.  Ditto (essentially) 2015.

It's not about whether Teddy can still run around without nearly losing a leg, it's whenever he can survive a hit.

Look, by any definition,  Teddy would be a lateral move for this team.  A no sense move that they would never make.

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

27 and 29th in total offense.  Teddy scored 14 TDs passing and 1 rushing in 2014.  He wasn't responsible for racking up many of those points on that team.  Ditto (essentially) 2015.

It's not about whether Teddy can still run around without nearly losing a leg, it's whenever he can survive a hit.

Did you truly use the Total Yards stat and then use misdirection to make it seem like it was the Points Scored stat with your next sentence.

You SLY DOG!

2015 Vikes were 16th in points scored.  2017 Bills were 22nd in points scored.  Looks like a clear winner to me.

If he can't survive a hit, oh well?  Should no injured players ever be signed in case they get reinjured?

Edited by jmc12290

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They don’t play similarly except that they are conservative. For me it comes down to I can have Teddy for maybe like $8M vs. $18M for TT. 

Unless I am signing Cousins I don’t want to eat a ton of cap space on a placeholder. I’d rather a cheaper placeholder and an early draft pick. 

No. Bridgewater and TT are same cost. TT is approx. 9.36 mill for Bills to keep him next year. Due to dead cap of 8.64 that stays if cut/traded.

Both of these would be very low on choices for next year. Bridgewater and Bradford are too big of injury risk.

Edited by cba fan

Did you truly use the Total Yards stat and then use misdirection to make it seem like it was the Points Scored stat with your next sentence.

You SLY DOG!

2015 Vikes were 16th in points scored.  2017 Bills were 22nd in points scored.  Looks like a clear winner to me.

If he can't survive a hit, oh well?  Should no injured players ever be signed in case they get reinjured?

Again, if you're making points the argument the Bills were top 12 2/3 years under Tyrod...

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

You SLY DOG!

You keep pairing Teddy's best to TT's worst.  Go figure.

Anyway, as I said,  Teddy is a low wattage QB--this cannot be disputed.  If AP was TT's RB, TT would have been "16th in points scored" or whatever you are trying to get at.  

In 2015, TT's first season as any teams starter, his was 12/13 in yards and points.  

Bridgewater is the definition of game manager.  He doesn't pass for yards or scores.  He's just there to get some first downs and hand off to his RB---same as TT.

4 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

According to the article cited at the beginning of this post

Tyrod is scheduled to receive an $6mil signing bonus if he's still on the roster in March.

I guess that's in addition to his regular wages (?)

If that's the case, that he gets his salary, plus an $6mil bonus.......

No. That's not the case. Total is about 18 mill.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Edited by cba fan

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You keep pairing Teddy's best to TT's worst.  Go figure.

Anyway, as I said,  Teddy is a low wattage QB--this cannot be disputed.  If AP was TT's RB, TT would have been "16th in points scored" or whatever you are trying to get at.  

In 2015, TT's first season as any teams starter, his was 12/13 in yards and points.  

Bridgewater is the definition of game manager.  He doesn't pass for yards or scores.  He's just there to get some first downs and hand off to his RB---same as TT.

It's not my fault TT's latest was his worst.  He could always play better.

Yep, they were.

What's your point?

The best Minny ever achieved under Teddy was dead average in points scored? They were 22nd and 16th in DVOA, neither of which is remarkable either.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

It's not my fault TT's latest was his worst.  He could always play better.

And it's not our fault that you're choosing to back up a QB who provides very similar pass production to Tyrod, without any of the added rushing, coming off a catastrophic knee injury. It's a really strange hill to die on, honestly.