Tony Kornheiser: "Tyrod Taylor is the worst passer I've ever seen in the NFL"

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. That's the difference. Tyrod had a kind of weird skill set: unusually gifted runner as a QB who also threw a really nice long ball. That second part disappeared this year. Was it because of inferior receivers? No doubt that's part of it. Dennison's offense? Probably that too. A crisis in confidence? I think that's a big one. His risk aversion hit new highs this year. In the end, he was what we've often seen around the NFL: a cautious game manager; won't make stupid mistakes that take you out of a game, but depends on big defensive plays/turnovers or other playmakers on offense to make enough things happen to pull out a win. Hey, if Bortles had thrown a pick or two, we win on Sunday ...

It's because he lost the burner guys who could get off the line and had an extra gear to make up for any jamming.  Now he has slower guys who are slower on game day than they are in practice because they get jammed on the line.

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I think the argument is that if everyone else had played a flawlessly perfect game, TT would be something like 21-37 with ~ 175 yds. Even though that's not very good, it's not quite as ****ty as his actual numbers, so go Tyrod.

I know you're for hyperbole here yourself, but the point is, however you apportion it, there is blame to go around.  It's not like TT's receivers (TE, WR, backs) played a flawlessly perfect game, some of the play calls were ...puzzling.  If a few more passes get caught and a few play calls are different but you keep the same Tyrod, do you scrape out a win?  I don't know, but it's pretty clear it could have been closer were that the case.  Do you agree with that?

12 hours ago, PolishDave said:

This has the makings of a very high quality thread.

If cornhole says it - take it to the bank.

You guys know what the other name for cornhole is right?

And to think there's actually a yard game with the same name and a whole generation of people that play it and have no idea that the word cornhole refers to something else.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Taylor is bad. But he still wasn't the worst passer in that game. Bortles couldn't hit his FB 8 yards away...and Romo tried to blame the wind.

That was great.  I wish the network would just let him speak his mind.  It's what makes Keith Hernandez awesome.  It's what makes him awesome to listen to call Mets games.  I think it's possible for Romo to give brutally honest assessments without being a dick about it.  I think he's perfectly capable of it and I, personally, would appreciate listening to it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

That was great.  I wish the network would just let him speak his mind.  It's what makes Keith Hernandez awesome.  It's what makes him awesome to listen to call Mets games.  I think it's possible for Romo to give brutally honest assessments without being a dick about it.  I think he's perfectly capable of it and I, personally, would appreciate listening to it.

I went through this with another poster last night who was saying he thought Romo was being honest! Romo fluffs up the QB's all while painting an accurate picture with his reactions and mannerisms in the booth.

I like his style. I could appreciate it if he was brutal but his subtle jabs and sighs of displeasure and frustration tell the story for anyone that is listening.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yea, you could almost get the sense he started to say something and had to change his thought. The wind comment came out of nowhere and didn't even sound like he believed it. All in all though Romo does not only a great job calling the game and seeing what's going to happen or why something happened but he does a great job breaking it into terms anyone can understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

I went through this with another poster last night who was saying he thought Romo was being honest! Romo fluffs up the QB's all while painting an accurate picture with his reactions and mannerisms in the booth.

I like his style. I could appreciate it if he was brutal but his subtle jabs and sighs of displeasure and frustration tell the story for anyone that is listening.

Yeah.  You can tell he is biting his tongue and picking his words at times.     That is just because he was a reasonably good Qb with a lot of experience in the sport.   So the guy sees things from the booth that a less experienced guy isn't seeing on the field under live fire.    Also one of the reasons why some coordinators choose to sit in a booth rather than stand on the sidelines.   It's easier to see the whole picture.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Sometimes I wish they allowed him to go no holds barred, and say what he really wants.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

Can't believe we lost to that stiff. 

I'm not trying to be sarcastic with this response but if we would have had a Kyle Orton caliber qb we would have comfortably won. From a qb standpoint the collective play of both qbs was below dismal. It was excruciating to watch. To state the obvious good qb play elevates a team; and bad qb play crushes the spirit of the team and the fans watching the futility on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know you're for hyperbole here yourself, but the point is, however you apportion it, there is blame to go around.  It's not like TT's receivers (TE, WR, backs) played a flawlessly perfect game, some of the play calls were ...puzzling.  If a few more passes get caught and a few play calls are different but you keep the same Tyrod, do you scrape out a win?  I don't know, but it's pretty clear it could have been closer were that the case.  Do you agree with that?

I don't think it's a point worth making and I don't know what the purpose of making it would be. Every QB would benefit from flawless execution around them. It rarely happens. All QBs deal with dropped and deflected passes and receivers who run the wrong route or don't fight for the ball. There was nothing particularly over the top here in that regard.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic with this response but if we would have had a Kyle Orton caliber qb we would have comfortably won. From a qb standpoint the collective play of both qbs was below dismal. It was excruciating to watch. To state the obvious good qb play elevates a team; and bad qb play crushes the spirit of the team and the fans watching the futility on the field. 

That first Peterman pass stood out because it came out in rhythm, that's sad. 

I wonder how many of you have read all of Tony's books?  I mean read, not just skim.  Anyone?

• Kornheiser, Tony (1983). The Baby Chase. New York: Atheneum. pp. 212 pages. ISBN 0-689-11354-4.
  • Kornheiser, Tony (1995). Pumping Irony: Working Out the Angst of a Lifetime. New York: Times Books. ISBN 0-8129-2474-6.
  • Kornheiser, Tony (1997). Bald as I Wanna Be. New York: Villard. pp. 304 pages. ISBN 0-375-50037-5.
  • Kornheiser, Tony (2002). I’m Back for More Cash: a Tony Kornheiser collection (Because You Can’t Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom). New York: Villard. pp. 379 pages. ISBN 0-375-50754-X.

6 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I don't think it's a point worth making and I don't know what the purpose of making it would be. Every QB would benefit from flawless execution around them. It rarely happens. All QBs deal with dropped and deflected passes and receivers who run the wrong route or don't fight for the ball. There was nothing particularly over the top here in that regard.

Well, we'll agree to disagree.  While Tyrod's performance was bad, I thought the performance of our receivers (wr, TE, backs except Shady) was also "over the top" poor. 

The reason it's a point worth making is that people talk as though it's all on Tyrod and if we plug in a new QB, like, say, Alex Smith, we're on our way. 

I don't think it's so and our receiving performance in Sunday's game agrees with me.

Every QB leaves plays on the field too (misses open receivers, throws to the short guy while the deep route is open).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That first Peterman pass stood out because it came out in rhythm, that's sad. 

I don't want to reprieve old wounds but after watching this game it should be understandable as to why the HC resorted to starting a rookie qb in the Charger game. I''m not saying that one should agree with the move but at least understand why such a desperate action was taken. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Bills would have got an average game (from over the last 3 years) out of Tyrod they would have won.

He played horrible this game.     He has been playing bad for most of the year - getting worse over time it appears.

Maybe he gets into the right situation somewhere else and can revive his career.     He is done here and in the AFC East anyway.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's probably true (on Orton) but TBH his year here, he had Watkins, Woods, and Hogan to throw to.  If you swap them for Thompson, Jones, Matthews, Holmes, and 6 games of hampered Benjamin I'm not sure what happens.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't want to reprieve old wounds but after watching this game it should be understandable as to why the HC resorted to starting a rookie qb in the Charger game. I''m not saying that one should agree with the move but at least understand why such a desperate action was taken. 

I do understand but for Dennison, I keep coming back to the old saying that when you point the finger of blame at someone, there are typically 3 fingers pointing back at you.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's probably true (on Orton) but TBH his year here, he had Watkins, Woods, and Hogan to throw to.  If you swap them for Thompson, Jones, Matthews, Holmes, and 6 games of hampered Benjamin I'm not sure what happens.

There is no doubt that Orton had the better receiving unit. However, as Tono Romo point out with the replays there were open receivers to throw to. He didn't see them. Time after time he instead bailed out. From a qb standpoint TT has no vision. It is not a correctable deficiency. Let's not bother to discuss his accuracy and his horrendous ball placements. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1