Jalen Ramsey's Game Clinching "Interception"

22 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Reminds me of the Super Bowl vs. the Redskins...tons of plays like this early on that were not called either.

Went to the game yesterday, and am watching the replay right now. In the 2nd Qtr, on the Jags INT, it's virtually the same situation...the Jags DB got there early, and of course, no call. 

You are correct. I remember thinking that the NFL must have changed the pass interference rule especially for that Super Bowl.  Washington got away with so much and it definitely affected the game.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yup, my bad, I remembered it wrong.  

No worries :beer:

That’s what’s wrong with the Jesse J catch. The ball moves but there isn’t a camera angle that actually shows it making contact with the ground. It’s assumed it does.

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, Thompson could have been coming back for the ball - he could see that it was taking all day to get there.   Plus, if he's coming back, he's better able to break after the catch.   He can't box out the defender because he doesn't know where the defender is.   In hindsight it's easy to say he should have moved a half step to his right, but he has no way to know that.  

The better question is what the hell was Peterman doing throwing it there?   HE can see the receiver and the defender, so he can see that the ball has to be thrown to lead the receiver to the sideline.  Also, as someone has pointed out, the throw to the outside shoulder would lead Thompson out of bounds.   

Most importantly, Peterman showed on that play that he doesn't have an NFL arm.   That's perhaps the most important throw an NFL QB needs to make - a bullet to the sideline.   Peterman threw a lollipop.  

That play is not on the receiver.      

I wasn’t really discouraged by the 5 pick game.

I was MUCH more discouraged by that throw.  It just floated over there.

As much as we complain about the call, let's not forget that the Bills were gifted two wins this year. The refs made a horrible call on that Colts 2P conversion (the block absolutely began within a yard of the LOS - I watched it multiple times), and the fumble call on Matt Ryan was beyond ridiculous. It's not often (more like never) that you see a pass that goes 15 yards down the field get called a fumble. The Bills got their calls this year, and they were the difference between 7-9 and 9-7. The Bills were absolutely screwed in the Miami game last year (remember the two non-PI calls in the EZ on on Charles Clay that arguably cost the team 8 pts PLUS all of the other stuff?), and if they had gone into the Jets game at an 8-7 record, they probably would have won that last game (against a horrible team) instead of tanking. 

Overall, the refs were kind to the Bills this season. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

an illusion?  it looks like the front nose of the ball hits the ground.  i may be wrong, but an illusion?  that's like when my wife hit one of those construction barrels, and said the way in which they were set up created an optical illusion.  it wasn't an illusion.  again, i may be wrong.

Hahaha

How the hell is that a catch but Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson and Jesse James not? I am sick of lawyers making rules for the players playing the game.   Not to mention that was PI, as was the third down pass to Deonte.  But lets call offesive PI on Benjamin from the 1.  WTF?

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As much as we complain about the call, let's not forget that the Bills were gifted two wins this year. The refs made a horrible call on that Colts 2P conversion (the block absolutely began within a yard of the LOS - I watched it multiple times), and the fumble call on Matt Ryan was beyond ridiculous. It's not often (more like never) that you see a pass that goes 15 yards down the field get called a fumble. The Bills got their calls this year, and they were the difference between 7-9 and 9-7. The Bills were absolutely screwed in the Miami game last year (remember the two non-PI calls in the EZ on on Charles Clay that arguably cost the team 8 pts PLUS all of the other stuff?), and if they had gone into the Jets game at an 8-7 record, they probably would have won that last game (against a horrible team) instead of tanking. 

Overall, the refs were kind to the Bills this season. 

I watched both calls you mentioned.  The Colts' DB was blocking well into the endzone, before the ball got there.  That's a penalty.  And Matt Ryan clearly fumbles and pushes the ball forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I did. I see it under and i know there is a better angle that shows it under too because i saw that as well

I watched this one and the one on NFL.com that shows a couple different angles.  There is a period where the nose of the ball hits the ground and bounces to his chest.  It is at that time he rolls his arm under where it wasn't under before.  He actually only got his wrist area under the nose of the ball and the rest of the ball is on the ground.  When the ball bounces to his chest after hitting the ground is where there is no control of the ball.  You cant use the ground to gain control.

In any case.  You and some others see it different than I and some others do.  I wont argue what you see.  I'm just telling you what I see.  Your other post I agree with.  Get rid of the stupid catch rule and start over.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I watched both calls you mentioned.  The Colts' DB was blocking well into the endzone, before the ball got there.  That's a penalty.  And Matt Ryan clearly fumbles and pushes the ball forward.

Oh come on. If you call penalties in which the WR block begins WITHIN one yard of the LOS and goes slightly beyond, you will see 20 penalties a game on that call alone. Half the Pats' TDs in goal to go situations would be nullified. As would the TD the Bills scored against NE last year (the Brissett game) when Woods begin his block within one yard of the LOS and sustained it past that point. It happens all the time and NEVER gets called if it begins that close to the LOS.  A little Chris Hogan for ya, on a play which the Pats run constantly: 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I watched this one and the one on NFL.com that shows a couple different angles.  There is a period where the nose of the ball hits the ground and bounces to his chest.  It is at that time he rolls his arm under where it wasn't under before.  He actually only got his wrist area under the nose of the ball and the rest of the ball is on the ground.  When the ball bounces to his chest after hitting the ground is where there is no control of the ball.  You cant use the ground to gain control.

In any case.  You and some others see it different than I and some others do.  I wont argue what you see.  I'm just telling you what I see.  Your other post I agree with.  Get rid of the stupid catch rule and start over.

I agree with the rule. And I understand what you see 

however knowing that 

ball called a pick on the field. So you have disagreements amongst Bills fans so that to me is inconclusive and hence the call on the field stands 

dont think it was announced confirmed. Which means not enough to overturn it is all

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

however knowing that 

ball called a pick on the field. So you have disagreements amongst Bills fans so that to me is inconclusive and hence the call on the field stands 

dont think it was announced confirmed. Which means not enough to overturn it is all

Yeah I tend to agree there that there could be inconclusive evidence to overturn.  You really have to watch this thing frame by frame to see it and that shouldn't happen.  I'm more salty because I feel like there wasn't enough to overturn the KB touchdown and feel like they double robbed us.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Oh come on. If you call penalties in which the WR block begins WITHIN one yard of the LOS and goes slightly beyond, you will see 20 penalties a game on that call alone. Half the Pats' TDs in goal to go situations would be nullified. As would the TD the Bills scored against NE last year when Woods begin his block within one yard of the LOS and sustained it past that point. It happens all the time and NEVER gets called if it begins that close to the LOS. 

You're allowed to block within a yard of the LOS.  Not past it. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

however knowing that 

He's in the act of going to the ground and no one can dispute that the ball moves.  Even if you think he had a hand under the ball, that invalidates the catch. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He's in the act of going to the ground and no one can dispute that the ball moves.  Even if you think he had a hand under the ball, that invalidates the catch. 

See the video link above and practically any NFL game.  It is never called. Large parts of the Pats' offense center around it. Whether you think it's fair or not is immaterial - the league lets it go and players play with an expectation that it ain't gonna be called. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

I felt like he ran threw the WR too. There was definitely shoulder to shoulder contact before the ball arrived.

I cannot say the shoulder contact will never be called because I think the refs are disappointingly inconsistent (I'm a FB official in Cal.), but that's not often going to be called. 

Both players are entitled to make a play on the ball.  Thompson is largely stationary while Ramsey comes from behind, goes around (albeit with contact) and makes the play.  The offensive player does not have absolute rights to the ball (as per the Benjamin push off earlier), so if the players make contact while both have a legitimate chance to receive the ball, that contact will (usually/should be) ignored.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not if the ball never touches which to me i dont see it touch. I see an illusion caused by his arm making contact with the ground and jarring the ball back into his chest 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See the video link above and practically any NFL game. 

Yeah, the ball arrives while they're withing a yard of the LOS.  Aiken was blocking well into the endzone before the ball even got there.

Moreover, that's a WR screen where the ball is thrown behind the blocking WR's and LOS, not in front of them.

Edited by Doc