2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

6 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I'm a Bridgewater guy, like his game and he seems like a guy that will trust the process.

Cousins not a process guy.

Have you heard Cousins talk?  He's a process oriented guy     

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tyrod because I don't want a veteran QB.

I want to draft a QB high in the 1st, period.

I think Taylor's more likely to still be in Buffalo next year with our 1st round pick than any of those other choices. As it says in the poll, Taylor's under contract.

Image result for facepalm

I'll go with AJ McCarron , draft the best QB without trading up and still have hope Peterman can make progress.

Out of those 3 at the very least end up with a solid backup. Kirk would eat up too much needed cap space . 

Three games with a rating well below 50  --  33.6, 35.6 and the final game 44.2   

Only FIVE games with a rating over 100 

QBR 

18.3, 29.7, 31.4, 29.3, 27.2  

17/37* for 134  46% completions.   * Making his record a 3 of 14  when throwing for more than 30 times 

Here are Taylor’s averages against: (2 month old data)

“Bad” defenses: 18/29 (65%) for 229 yards 1 TD 0 INT and a rating of 104.

“Not good” defenses: 16/23 (71%) for 173 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT and a rating of 81.

“Good” defenses: 16/26 (61%) for 202 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT and a rating of 97.

“Elite” defenses: 19/30 (63%) for 190 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT and a rating of 89.

http://www.nflspy.com/article/statistical-analysis-tyrod-taylors-performance-history-against-good-and-bad-defenses

4 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Alex Smith for me.  Draft a kid to develop behind him.  Win now, and develop for the future.  Use your other 1st on line depth.

I'm with this. I don't think Alex Smith comes with a huge price either. 

Alex Smith and I'd even trade up for a rookie (Mayfield/Darnold/Jackson) in that order to sit behind Smith for a year. (We are not getting Rosen, he is going 1 to the Browns)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What's "a process guy?"  I'm not being obnoxious; I just don't really know what you mean on why Bridgewater would fit the description but Cousins wouldn't.

I’m convinced that “process” is just a current buzzword that is being overused and frequently in the wrong context.  As a trained Industrial engineer, I was all about process improvement.  An auto assembly line is a good example of a process as an engineer would determine the best order of stations for assembling cars that would be the most efficient.

The Philadelphia 76ers started this “trust the process “ BS but theirs was easy to understand. They got rid of high priced veterans and tanked to get high draft picks to build thru the draft.  

I’m still not totally sure what McDermott’s “process “ is that he keeps talking about.  At times it seems convoluted.  They let several good players leave in free agency (Woods, Gilmore, Z.Brown, Robey-Coleman) Then they have to use their draft picks to replenish those positions. They got rid of high priced players like Watkins, Darby, Dareus that they said didn’t fit or weren’t all in on “the process “.  Then they trade for Kelvin Benjamin after they depleted the WR position and the remaining guys were injured or not producing.  However McD continuously talks about improving the team for now and the future.

Then, they actually get this talent gutted team to play hard and together and break the dang playoff drought.

A process needs to be defined so it can be evaluated for success. So, I’d have to say so far it is a success, whatever it is.

21 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I’m convinced that “process” is just a current buzzword that is being overused and frequently in the wrong context.  As a trained Industrial engineer, I was all about process improvement.  An auto assembly line is a good example of a process as an engineer would determine the best order of stations for assembling cars that would be the most efficient.

The Philadelphia 76ers started this “trust the process “ BS but theirs was easy to understand. They got rid of high priced veterans and tanked to get high draft picks to build thru the draft.  

I’m still not totally sure what McDermott’s “process “ is that he keeps talking about.  At times it seems convoluted.  They let several good players leave in free agency (Woods, Gilmore, Z.Brown, Robey-Coleman) Then they have to use their draft picks to replenish those positions. They got rid of high priced players like Watkins, Darby, Dareus that they said didn’t fit or weren’t all in on “the process “.  Then they trade for Kelvin Benjamin after they depleted the WR position and the remaining guys were injured or not producing.  However McD continuously talks about improving the team for now and the future.

Then, they actually get this talent gutted team to play hard and together and break the dang playoff drought.

A process needs to be defined so it can be evaluated for success. So, I’d have to say so far it is a success, whatever it is.

I've started to look at "the process" as something that is as much about McDermott himself (and Beane himself) as it is about rebuilding the team. Why didn't they tank this year? Tanking is sort of allowed when a new regime comes in. They're given the benefit of the doubt. But tanking starts a clock ticking. In the NFL, it's about a 3 year clock. Strip the team down to it's core and go 3-13 in 2017. Show a little promise in 2018. Be competitive in 2019. If you aren't a playoff team by 2020, someone else comes in and steals all the slow development work you've put in.  (Look at the 76ers and Sam Hinkie; Moses never saw the promised land.) But breaking a 17 year playoff drought in your first year? That buys additional time and patience. With where the bar has been set in Buffalo, they may have until 2021 or 2022 to show real, firm, repeatable success ....

I'm not in love with that list, aka not a big fan of the vet route. 

But of those options Smith and Cousins are just about tied in my book. Cousins I think is a little better, and is younger, but will require rediculous cap hit.

I voted for Smith because he wont cost that much and we can still draft a rookie.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott wants something out of the passing game and he’s not going to get that out of Taylor.

You really want Taylor back don’t you?

No, I just really don't want any of those other options at QB as our next "franchise QB."

With Taylor's contract, things are set up to draft a QB I'm just completely get out from under the rug of him after 2018 and moved completely forward with a brand new QB.

Taylor is just fine in Buffalo for one more year if it comes down to it.

You really want to keep drawing this line in the sand, don't you?

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

No, I just really don't want any of those other options at QB as our next "franchise QB."

With Taylor's contract, things are set up to draft a QB I'm just completely get out from under the rug of him after 2018 and moved completely forward with a brand new QB.

This is where we disagree completely.  Like on the other side of universe far apart.

Our offense was legendarily bad.

My first choice would be Cousins.   I think he takes this offense to a whole new level we haven't seen since the first half of the year that Bledsoe joined.      The offense just gets a lot better with him on the field.

My second choice would be to go after Alex Smith.  The offense without doubt gets better but you have to draft a QB to develop behind him still.

My third choice is Keenum, but I don't believe Minnesota lets him walk unless he struggles mightily this week.

Bridgewater is my 4th choice, he's intriguing.  Could end up being really good or just meh.  But he'd be my fourth choice.

Fifth choice is to keep Peterman and draft a QB high to compete with him.

Sixth choice is retain Tyrod and draft a QB high to compete in a 3 way competition.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tyrod because I don't want a veteran QB.

I want to draft a QB high in the 1st, period.

I think Taylor's more likely to still be in Buffalo next year with our 1st round pick than any of those other choices. As it says in the poll, Taylor's under contract.

Tyrod being our starter with a rookie on the bench is going to be a hard sell. We’d be calling for him to be benched the first time he checks down on 3rd and long or misses a wide open receiver. At this point, I think the relationship has run its course and it’s time for both sides to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why would you possibly want Taylor back ? 

Let Matt Moore or Bradford do it 

Out of that list, Cousins.

Although if for some reason the Niners find a way to screw up getting Jimmy G. signed, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Cousins. 

This team doesn't need Brady. We just need a halfway competent QB.

Edited by CLTbills