LeSean McCoy: Ankle injury 'wasn't as bad as I thought'

I want the Bills to win on Sunday, but, if they do they have to go to NE the next weekend.  Strange calculus here, but, I would rather take a chance on doing without Shady this Sunday so that when we get to beantown he will be 100%.  The Bills are underdogs Sunday, but they can win.  Others have to step up...maybe the D has to do some extraordinary things...whatever.  I don't want to see a limping Shady out there!!!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I could care less about anyones sexual orientation. Whatever makes you a happy person. As long as you are a kind person .. don't cheat steal manipulate or choose violence/hate. That's how I judge people. Everyone makes some mistakes so their is some forgivenenss in there for me. But there are too many who are just evil at their core and that has NOTHING to do ones sexual preference unless its falls in the other categories I listed

Just now, ddaryl said:

I could care less about anyones sexual orientation. Whatever makes you a happy person. As long as you are a kind person .. don't cheat steal manipulate or choose violence/hate. That's how I judge people. Everyone makes some mistakes so their is some forgivenenss in there for me. But there are too many who are just evil at their core and that has NOTHING to do ones sexual preference unless its falls in the other categories I listed

Hi Daryl...I was just quoting another Seinfeld episode.  I've seen every episode multiple times and quote the show all the time.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hi Daryl...I was just quoting another Seinfeld episode.  I've seen every episode multiple times and quote the show all the time.

giphy.gif

LOL!.. totally missed the reference.. Thanks for the gif.  Sometimes I just like getting up on the soapbox

been awhile since I've seen many of these episodes

Edited by ddaryl

13 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I want the Bills to win on Sunday, but, if they do they have to go to NE the next weekend.  Strange calculus here, but, I would rather take a chance on doing without Shady this Sunday so that when we get to beantown he will be 100%.  The Bills are underdogs Sunday, but they can win.  Others have to step up...maybe the D has to do some extraordinary things...whatever.  I don't want to see a limping Shady out there!!!

I've been really warming up to this idea, I think Taylor, who has been zoned in, will need to pick up the slack as well on the ground. The play action has been very effective , I'd like to see him with 7-8 rushes on Sunday, sprinkling them in throughout the game. 

The D can and will make Bortles life hell. 5 ints in the last 2 games, both losses, we can beat the Jags without Shady. Get him fully healed for our Date with Destiny in Foxboro!

rodak_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer 

Bills LB Matt Milano (hamstring) will not practice Friday but coach Sean McDermott said Friday there is "hope" that Milano can play. TE Charles Clay (knee), QB/WR Joe Webb (ankle), RB LeSean McCoy (ankle), WR Kelvin Benjamin (knee) and WR Deonte Thompson (shoulder) will be limited. CB Shareece Wright (concussion) has been ruled out for Sunday's game.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
28m
rodak_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer 

Bills coach Sean McDermott said Friday that RB LeSean McCoy will "do some things today" and "we'll go from there. ... One movement at a time right now."

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
30m

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3286735661_b311b5f7b3_z.jpg?zz=1

Come on Shady...use a thousand year old acupuncture care!

I sprained my finger 2 days before the first round of the state playoffs in basketball in high school. 

I got acupuncture and I was able to play in the game and didn't have much pain.  

Shady...I know a guy.

Why did you wait so long? Get this going!

There are two Shadys - the RB and the WR.  If he cannot be as effective as a RB maybe he can be one of the WRs which Bills certainly need.  The running certainly requires a lot more cutting than going out for a pass.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think the bottom line is it is not a terrible injury, but there is no position where playing is going to be harder on your ankles, and no running back who depends more on the ability to make hard cuts,  which is the thing that's is going to be tough on the ankle.  If McCoy were an offensive lineman, he'd be starting Sunday, no question.  Being who he is, I don't think there was ever a thought at OBD that it would be anything but a true game time decision.  I wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo activates Aaron Green, just to have him available.  If Shady is active for the game, I don't think he's going to get anywhere near his usual # or carries.  Murphy is going to get most of the carries and Tolbert will get some too.  (hopefully not in 3rd and 10 plays with a sweep being called). 

I think we might do several things:

1. More planned runs for Taylor.

If the down and distance call for big yards as a need, and the Bills line up wide and the safeties are cheating to cover deep and out patterns, Taylor already has in the playbook and has practiced running the draw and focusing on making an LB in the middle or a spy on him miss and then he's off to the races.  This type of run which the Bills might have run when the d&d were later in the series & double digits might be used in more standard situations to replace a missing McCoy.  Taylor would be repeatedly hammered physically if the Bills went this way, but if the braintrust has already decided to look elsewhere next year, then who cares.  Worst comes to worst is TT does well, the Bills win and their choosing between good or better is a great problem.

2. More option sweeps for TT.

Most would be run with him starting one way with the blockers seemingly going that way, but TT reverses field   into something looking like a naked bootleg, or they come out more in empty backfield set-ups and Tyrod is virtually on his own, but the chances of him holding the ball and keeping his eyes downfield suits his game.

3.  Installation of the wildcat with more use of Cribbs.

4. More double TE set-ups with use of O'Leary in an H-Back role who is more of a fullback (I have not seen the Bills use tis set-up, but if they are a man short at RB (particularly an important one to the short passing game like McCoy, this is one way NFL teams utilize the TE more.

5. More end arounds by the WRs- A standard for the Bills in the old days and most NFL teams that the Bills may have to employ if McCoy is down.

Overall, this McCoy situation may play out to the Bills advantage ironically.  If you are the Jags what kind of film study and DC prep do you do?

Most teams carefully and virtually fully prepare for the several play styles McCoy excels at as he amassed a big chunk of the Bills yards.  The DC must prepare his strategy for the usual Bill style and the likely ways they will reveal new McCoy centered plays because he says he's gonna play if he can.  The word on the street appears to be low ankle sprain that McCoy says not as bad as he first thought.

My GUESS is that McDermott says gametime decision as long as he can.  The Jags either spend time preparing for a McCoy who ain't there, or he is there but the Jags spent time scheming for the type of plays above.

For the individual players its worse.  Normally, they would watch a bunch of tape to see if McCoy lines up or shifts his weight differently when he is set to go inside or outside on runs, or if his primary duty is to catch a pass or whatever.  Likewise, the hard work involve looking at how the blockersact on different plays so that the defender can figure out which play its likely to be at that d&D and what players are in, what Shady appears to be doing, what the blocking scheme is and how it is being implemented.

The Bills have spent all week practicing running different plays and doing the best they can to either run different players in Shady's role or even plays they have practiced but never used in a game or actually just learned.

Ultimately god players are good players and great player are great players.  If Shady is 85% use him as normal and hope for the best.  If he's 60%use him as a decoy and hope you get lucky on one or two plays by him.

However if he is 50% or lower, the Bills actually have an advantage for a half until adjustments are made, taught, and implemented by the Jags at halftime.

I'm bummed if Shady cannot play but not giving u by a longshot.

I say the big difference if McCoy is out is Kyle Williams moves to HB!  

• Like (+1) 1

Over the years my hatred of the pats has grown to epic proportions,

I almost don't want the bills to beat jax, because i feel bills are unable

to beat the pats, on the other hand i think jax on a good day can finish

off the dynasty with an embarrassing home loss. I really think jax is the only 

team in the afc who can beat them.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Nucci, not to be a negative Nancy or Debbie Downer, but I think they announce on Sunday morning that he isn't going to dress.

Lol he will dress if for. Onother reason to give the Jags the thought of him being ready to go.

Just now, Albwan said:

Over the years my hatred of the pats has grown to epic proportions,

I almost don't want the bills to beat jax, because i feel bills are unable

to beat the pats, on the other hand i think jax on a good day can finish

off the dynasty with an embarrassing home loss. I really think jax is the only 

team in the afc who can beat them.

The Steelers came a refshair away from beating them.  I think they can do it. 

4 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

The Steelers came a refshair away from beating them.  I think they can do it. 

steelers defense cant do anything vs brady, it would be ben and tom trading tds.

id like to see jax defense clobber brady. they have a nice rounded defense.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3286735661_b311b5f7b3_z.jpg?zz=1

Come on Shady...use a thousand year old acupuncture care!

I sprained my finger 2 days before the first round of the state playoffs in basketball in high school. 

I got acupuncture and I was able to play in the game and didn't have much pain.  

Shady...I know a guy.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Marcaine and cortisone.  take the needle McCoy

There's pain relief, which I'm sure Shady will get, then there's the physical ability provided by normal ligaments.

Meaning no offense Royale, but your finger didn't have to support 210 lbs of running back coming down on it, planting hard, and changing direction.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's pain relief, which I'm sure Shady will get, then there's the physical ability provided by normal ligaments.

Meaning no offense Royale, but your finger didn't have to support 210 lbs of running back coming down on it, planting hard, and changing direction.

How do you know that my finger doesn't support 210 lbs?  I do a lot of push ups and wrist exercises.