Power Struggle in New England between Kraft, Brady & Belichik

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

yes, and you KNOW Belichick is smarter than that.  He knows that it isnt easy to develop these guys (Hoyer, Mallette, Cassel, etc...).  He had to have wanted to move on from Brady.  I would, and as a Bills fan, I was hoping that the Patriots wouldnt

Not only wanted to move on from Brady, but have finally identified a guy he felt comfortable with as able to play on Brady's level.  The Pats parted with Bledsoe at age 30.

They've kept Brady because he clearly outplayed all of those guys (Hoyer, Mallet, Cassel, etc).

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A little surprising, maybe. Not mind blowing. This happens all the time in professional sports. Aggression from the veteran towards the young replacement. That's the base of it all.

The article portrayed an atmosphere of excitement around Jimmy G and this caused Brady (and his trainer) to go into survival mode. 

The incident with Jimmy getting locked out of the TB12 facility may have been more of Guerrero's doing and not Brady's, anyway. 

This story definitely favors Belichick, I think. He wasn't doing anything out of the norm (at least in Belichick World) and Brady/Kraft were finally trying to push back for personal reasons.

I hear you.  

If it was like a defensive back that wasn't allowed in, I would consider that surprising.  But since it's another QB who you are with pretty much most of the day....it's a little more surprising to me.

Whatever the issues are, hopefully it does break up the Pats.

So here's an angle:

SALARY CAP VIOLATIONS

Brady is paid under market.  But the team also pays consulting fees to Brady's company TB12 for training services etc.   A portion of those fees must go into Brady's pocket as part owner.  Isn't this a violation of the salary cap?

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really.  Do tell.  They might - now.

I think Belicheck's intention at the start of the season was to not go anywhere - groom his sons, transition from Brady to Garrappolo, etc.  The point of that article is: that may have changed.

It's entirely believable that the Jimmy G trade was ordered from over Belicheck's head.  Trading Jimmy G for a 2nd just before the trade deadline, after dealing Brissett to the Colts and leaving the Pats with no backup temporarily, is entirely against Belicheck's pattern of "buy low sell high" when it comes to players - which would have him trading or cutting Brady after this season just as he traded Bledsoe to the Bills for a 1st round pick after Brady took over, at a point where Bledsoe was the franchise's top quarterback in completions, attempts and yards for a game, a season and a career - but was 30 years old.   The telling quote is right here: "The Patriots repeatedly offered Garoppolo four-year contract extensions, in the $17 million to $18 million range annually that would go higher if and when he succeeded Brady. Garoppolo and Yee rejected the offers out of hand, for reasons that remain unclear, and the Patriots knew they couldn't make any promises to Garoppolo about the timing of a transition at quarterback without it getting back to Brady."

Let's let that sink in a minute: Garappolo, a 4th-year player with 2 career starts,  is offered a 4 year contract that would pay him within spitting distance of Tom Brady, pay him as a mid-range starter #17 or so, and immediately rejects it.  "reasons that remain unclear", my aunt's left elbow: the reasons are 100% clear, he wants to start.  And he probably SHOULD be starting for NE, right after this season if not during it.  Brady is visibly slipping.    The Pats are not offering Garappolo that contract unless they are confident he could replace Brady at any moment.  No team pays $40k+ per year to their QBs for 4 years.  

If the Pats are willing to offer Garappolo that contract, they were ready to move on from Brady.  That Garappolo was traded instead, screams "power struggle that Belicheck lost", independent of anything else.

The smart betting is that the trade involved a couple of under-the-table handshakes - one that the 49ers would release Hoyer and he would sign with NE (about the only mid-season acquisition who could come in knowing the system enough to be realistic), the other that Jimmy G will re-sign with the 49ers for a reasonable deal so please folks who think Jimmy G will be a FA - give that up, please.

I agree with you completely. I think it's exactly how it all played out. I think it will also come back to haunt them. I hope...

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So here's an angle:

SALARY CAP VIOLATIONS

Brady is paid under market.  But the team also pays consulting fees to Brady's company TB12 for training services etc.   A portion of those fees must go into Brady's pocket as part owner.  Isn't this a violation of the salary cap?

one would think.   

(most everyone does imo  - sports people mention it frequently when the topic comes up) 

53 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Brady has cap hits of 22 mil each season. He is getting an extension this offseason so he is not going anywhere. Bellichick is grooming his 2 sons on staff. He isnt going anywhere.

Seth wickerham writes nice stories without any factual basis. His last one had people talking then it was forgotten about. 

Yeah how could anyone dare think this organization, and the people in question, who have been caught cheating by the league twice, isn’t clean and in order? They deserve the benefit of the doubt. Just the stupid media again making up cute stories. Thanks for setting us all straight. 

47 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not as sure about this.  Willie McGinest spent the majority of his career, along with Bruschi who spent his entire career, with the Pats and won SBs with them.  I think their loyalty to the Pats and Kraft runs deeper than their broadcasting career.  I'd be surprised if they turned on their alma mater for a story they won't even get credit for.  There are a number of others in the organization, non-players most likely, who would leak this kind of info, imo.

further thinking...there love for the patriots is the patriot way and that is belichick.

plus dealing with being told brady won those super bowls.  come on, he gets recognition when it was all the defense for the first few?  it wast the defense who kickstarted his career.

i could see those guys being bitter and stupid enough to talk and that would explain why they seem so wrong and the emotional statemetns are there.

Belichik is an ego maniac.  He's probably wearing a huge grin right now.  Garoppolo trade makes him look like a fool.  Belichik isn't dumb enough to believe in the witch doctor stuff Brady and his trainer are peddling.  He isn't sticking around for the inevitable decline of a 40 year old QB with nobody but Brian Hoyer backing him up.  

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Belichik is an ego maniac.  He's probably wearing a huge grin right now.  Garoppolo trade makes him look like a fool.  Belichik isn't dumb enough to believe in the witch doctor stuff Brady and his trainer are peddling.  He isn't sticking around for the inevitable decline of a 40 year old QB with nobody but Brian Hoyer backing him up.  

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Bill himself (or his son who coaches there) leaked the info to the media. As another poster mentioned, the article does paint him in a somewhat positive light. 

• Like (+1) 1

the "patriot way" is getting rid of players 1 year early who are about to strike it rich in free agency.

NE doesn't overpay. instead they prefer to spread the salary cap and risk of injury out over several players.

BRADY  IS  NOT  OVER  PAID......might be the most underpaid player in league history. 

he's still performing at an MVP level and probably has a couple more years in him. no reason to move on.

just bad timing for jimmy G.   hoodie wisely offered him big money $17-18 mil/yr

brady says...bull chit...if i'm taking team friendly contract, then we should use that $18 mil on starters.

hoodie lost a power struggle and booted brady's fitness guru for revenge.