Albert Breer: McDermott has Bills pointing up

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Doesn't Breer know that McJauron has lost the team?

Breer addressed that very same point.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The real test for Sean McDermott came exactly when you probably figured it did—right after the Nathan Peterman debacle.

The Bills had cooled off after a hot start, losing by double-digits to the Jets and Saints in Weeks 9 and 10. Looking for a spark, the Buffalo coach benched Tyrod Taylor. He turned to Peterman, who promptly threw five picks in a little over two quarters. The Bills lost 54-24 to the Chargers. And everyone in the locker room was looking to see how McDermott would respond.

A lot of first-year head coaches wouldn’t have the way McDermott did. He buried his ego. He fell on the sword. As one vet laid it out, “He’d explained why he was benching Tyrod and promoting Nate. No one saw that coming into the (Charger) game. And after the game, he owned it with the team. We discussed and moved forward, united behind Tyrod and Coach.”

And it was over, just like that. Everyone else kept talking about it. The Bills didn’t.

“I just believe in being honest with my team, whether I’m right or wrong,” McDermott said from his office Wednesday night. “We all make mistakes. From a leadership standpoint, if I can try and communicate the best I can in sharing information I have with my team, then we’ll able to move forward. There’s also part of it, being vulnerable with my players, and being open, and being able to say, ‘Listen, if I made the wrong decision, I’ll admit it, and we’ll move on.’

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, going to be a lot of pressure on McD/Beane to have a good offseason and keep the momentum running full steam ahead.

And even though it's very realistic this team could take a step backwards this year like the Dolphins, expectations will be sky high in Buffalo heading into the 2018 season.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, going to be a lot of pressure on McD/Beane to have a good offseason and keep the momentum running full steam ahead.

And even though it's very realistic this team could take a step backwards this year like the Dolphins, expectations will be sky high in Buffalo heading into the 2018 season.

If only they could be as good as you thought the Dolphins were this year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

There is pressure but with the drought gone they can just focus on building the best roster to win even if it may be more geared for 2019. The drought was such a noose for any coach/gm.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If only they could be as good as you thought the Dolphins were this year. 

Like I said before, the Dolphins should be a cautionary tale for all Bills fans heading into 2018.

They were a very good team last year (much better than this years Bills team) and were expected to be a SB contender this year by most experts (including myself). But a season ending injury to their franchise QB and other suspensions/injuries heading into the 2017 campaign pretty much derailed their season. Although you still have to give Gase a lot of credit for getting them off to a 4-2 start even if it was a mirage in hindsight.

5 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

why?   Fins went backwards bc Tannehill went down.  No NFL team can recover from their starting QB going down for the season unless they get extremely lucky with the replacements (see Case Keenum) and have a top 5 defense.   Watch Philly go one and done.   Look how AZ went in the potty.   "Taking a step backwards" is a bunch of garbage once you do the detail and see how many key players went on IR for the team "taking a step backwards".   Turnovers lose games.   Key injuries lose seasons.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Like I said before, the Dolphins should be a cautionary tale for all Bills fans heading into 2018.

They were a very good team last year (much better than this years Bills team) and were expected to be a SB contender this year by most experts (including myself). But a season ending injury to their franchise QB and other suspensions/injuries heading into the 2017 campaign pretty much derailed their season. Although you still have to give Gase a lot of credit for getting them off to a 4-2 start even if it was a mirage in hindsight.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19504913/fpi-makes-predictions-2017-nfl-season

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-picks-predictions-2017-super-bowl-afc-nfc-championship/kbbsp936t5r91vuglmpcpbgxj/slide/1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328001

They were expected to be Superbowl contenders? ? I just checked the first links for 2017 NFL preseason projections (because i thought hey, maybe I’m just “misremembering” ) that came up in this newfangled Google thing ... yup, all the same.

Moreover, did you just lump yourself in as an “expert?”

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

The Phins are national media darlings.  Some idiot from ESPN picked them to win the SB in '07 when they went 1-15.  Take any prognostication with a very large grain of salt.

Some nice insight in there - this was my favorite - shows he really has been successful changing how the players approach their job and continues to be a work in progress (daresay example of culture change) 

“That happens every day,” McDermott said. “Tomorrow morning, our first team meeting going into the game week, they’ll fire answers back at me. Early in the year, the answers I was getting weren’t the ones that would lead to winning. Now, the players get upset if I don’t ask them questions related to the opponent, because they know they’ve put the time in, and they want to give me the right answer.

“It’s a neat standard that’s been created, really by them and the ownership they’ve taken.”

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19504913/fpi-makes-predictions-2017-nfl-season

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-picks-predictions-2017-super-bowl-afc-nfc-championship/kbbsp936t5r91vuglmpcpbgxj/slide/1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328001

They were expected to be Superbowl contenders? ? I just checked the first links for 2017 NFL preseason projections (because i thought hey, maybe I’m just “misremembering” ) that came up in this newfangled Google thing ... yup, all the same.

Moreover, did you just lump yourself in as an “expert?”

Yes I had the Dolphins going 12-4 this year and making the AFC championship game (losing against the Pats).

I was wrong obviously (because they lost their starting QB in preseason) but there are many other predictions out there from pundits having them in the playoffs.

Many experts also predicted teams like Den, Oak and TB as SB caliber teams which is why many felt the Bills had little chance this year given the schedule on paper.

2 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

The Phins are national media darlings.  Some idiot from ESPN picked them to win the SB in '07 when they went 1-15.  Take any prognostication with a very large grain of salt.

This is true, just like all the 3-13 predictions for the Bills this year.