Remember the success rates of drafted QB's

we looked back at the 45 quarterbacks chosen in the first round over the previous 16 drafts - starting with the return of the Cleveland Browns in 1999.

• 17 of these quarterbacks (38 percent) have won a playoff game.
  • 16 of the 45 (36 percent) have winning records as starters during the regular season.
  • The career passer ratings for only a half-dozen of these quarterbacks is high enough to be ranked in the top half of the league last year.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html

So, saying it another way, you have to draft  THREE  (high?) 1st rounders to get somebody who will get into the playoffs.............and only 13% of the first rounders will be in the top half of the league in passing.

Realize that those successful QB's were mostly picked in the top 5 slots.   We are not drafting in the one->5 slot because we are not that bad.  So we would have to repeatedly bundle up something like two first rounders and a second to get a shot at a top 5 draft pick slot. Therefore you are not just talking about spending three 1st round picks.  Maybe something like five 1st round and five 2nd round picks to get to pick three times in the top 5.

Is it worth 8 to 10 starters for that?      That is nearly an entire offense or defense.  It is one hell of an offensive line and linebacker crew......

??

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So let's never draft a qb!!!

How many starters could the Eagles for Wentz or the Packers get for Rodgers?  

No, I am thinking that we should stay away from trying to move up for a QB. We might draft one when we think is of real cost-effective value falls to us in the late 1st or the 2nd/3rd round.    Right now there will be a bunch of experienced FA QB's looking for work, and one might just fit well here.   TT doesn't seem to be a fit here and the head coach (remember his starting Peterson) doesn't seem to think so as well.

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

No, I am thinking that we should stay away from trying to move up for a QB. We might draft one when we think is of real cost-effective value falls to us in the late 1st or the 2nd/3rd round.    Right now there will be a bunch of experienced FA QB's looking for work, and one might just fit well here.   TT doesn't seem to be a fit here and the head coach (remember his starting Peterson) doesn't seem to think so as well.

The only position worth moving up in the draft for is qb. Do you think the Eagles or Rams regret trading up for their Qbs? And they both weren't thought of as good of prospects as these two.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only position worth moving up in the draft for is qb. Do you think the Eagles or Rams regret trading up for their Qbs? And they both weren't thought of as good of prospects as these two.

Cleveland and the Giants are not going to take any trades to grab the top two. Everybody else is a crap shoot. I may be tempted to cobble some pics together the grab Mayfield but other than that, why burn up all of our picks to go after the rest of that group. Let's see what falls to us when we pick.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

??       A lot of people thought that Maneul was not a good choice at the time.  

And? How is that relevant? Don't draft one because EJ Manuel sucked?  

I don't understand your argument if your argument is don't draft Quarterbacks incase they suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bill Murray said:

Would you trade T White and a first next year for Mahomes at this point?  If not, flies in the faced of the trade up into the top 10 and draft the 3rd available QB crowd (assuming CLE and NYG go QB at 1 and 2)...

The third Quarterback last year was Deshuan Watson.  And yes, I'd make that trade right now without a 2nd thought.  

• Like (+1) 1

If your criteria is a sure thing, only God can trade up.  Risk is inherent in drafting any player.  I would absolutely trade up for Rosen or Darnold, but I can't see either the hapless Browns or the Giants trading out.  After that, there are more question marks, so I think you have to make a prudential decision regarding how much one is willing to pay to secure the next best qb.  If it's too much, I suppose you wait it out and take bpa, qb when it makes sense, but we sure need a franchise qb.  

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

??       A lot of people thought that Maneul was not a good choice at the time.  

EJ may not have been a great choice at the time, but the 8th pick netted EJ and Kiko.  EJ didnt work out but Kiko has been a good player form day one.  So, not a awful use of resources.    Washington had what three 1st and a 2nd into RG3.  Using resources to get a QB is ok but better be sold before giving away the farm.  

With all the picks the Bills have this year I would like to see them get a lot of talent from the draft and pay a free agent QB that is proven.  The problem is I dont know if a proven free agent will be available.

Edited by artmalibu
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well how much use are the Iggles going to get out of Wentz this postseason?  They did "win the lottery" by the fact that he looks like a real good player from his performance this year.   But there are several ways to lose when you put a lot of valuable eggs in one basket. ACL being one.  An EJM being another.  They gave up 3 top 100 picks in 2016, a 1st rounder in 2017 and a 2nd rounder in 2018-  5 potentially good players.  Overall they did win that one.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And? How is that relevant? Don't draft one because EJ Manuel sucked?  

I don't understand your argument if your argument is don't draft Quarterbacks incase they suck. 

You draft QB's.  You draft RB's and CB's and many other positions.    Your are welcome.

You draft QB's.  You draft RB's and CB's and many other positions.    Your are welcome.

When you don't have a Quarterback you draft a Quarterback if there is one capable available and if that costs you an extra pick or two then so be it.  Some Quarterbacks suck and I know it has traditionally made some Bills fans feel better to say "ahhh it's a crapshoot there is no way of knowing who is good or bad."  I'm sorry I think that is absolute rubbish.  There is tape to evaluate of every Quarterback in college.  Lots of tape on the ones that go in the 1st round.  Evaluate that tape, do your best job, trust your judgment and take your shot.  Most regimes only get one shot at finding their Quarterback but that is not an excuse to shy away from doing it. 

This is the NFL - you need a Quarterback to win a Championship. If you draft the right guy you will then have him for 10-12 years.  Plenty of time to build a team around him.  I am not a "draft a QB in the 1st every year" guy.  Nor am I a "draft one for the sake of drafting one" guy, but if you don't have a guy you better start every scouting year saying "I'm gonna find a Quarterback" and every draft season trying to find a way to get one based on your scouting. 

Well how much use are the Iggles going to get out of Wentz this postseason?  They did "win the lottery"

It is not a freaking lottery.  Lotteries are games of chance.  Drafting Quarterbacks is not an exact science but it is a whole lot more scientific than a lottery.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

When you don't have a Quarterback you draft a Quarterback if there is one capable available and if that costs you an extra pick or two then so be it.  Some Quarterbacks suck and I know it has traditionally made some Bills fans feel better to say "ahhh it's a crapshoot there is no way of knowing who is good or bad."  I'm sorry I think that is absolute rubbish.  There is tape to evaluate of every Quarterback in college.  Lots of tape on the ones that go in the 1st round.  Evaluate that tape, do your best job, trust your judgment and take your shot.  Most regimes only get one shot at finding their Quarterback but that is not an excuse to shy away from doing it. 

This is the NFL - you need a Quarterback to win a Championship. If you draft the right guy you will then have him for 10-12 years.  Plenty of time to build a team around him.  I am not a "draft a QB in the 1st every year" guy.  Nor am I a "draft one for the sake of drafting one" guy, but if you don't have a guy you better start every scouting year saying "I'm gonna find a Quarterback" and every draft season trying to find a way to get one based on your scouting.  

Who is your current third and fourth best qb?  What would you be prepared to trade to secure them?  I like Mayfield third best, but he's not tall and has maturity issues.  Allen has questions about accuracy and level of competition.  Rudolph doesn't impress me that much, but I'm no expert.  I kinda think he might be there without a trade up.