Love those "shovel-ready" public works projects

9 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not sure why anyone should be surprised. NY government (both state and local) is pretty damned corrupt.

Unbelievably so at times. I love my home but damn there are a lot of NYers completely devoid of common sense or rational thought. They see blue, the pull the lever, no questions asked, no results required.

Trump pulls brakes on $13B Obama-backed rail-tunnel plan

An Obama-era plan to have the federal government finance half of a $13 billion rail tunnel project ran into a red light Friday from the Trump administration.

The original Obama-era plan called for costs to be split among New York state, New Jersey and the federal government.

"Your letter also references a non-existent '50/50' agreement between USDOT, New York, and New Jersey. There is no such agreement," wrote K. Jane Williams

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/31/trump-pulls-brakes-on-13b-obama-backed-rail-tunnel-plan.html

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Chris Christie killed that tunnel about five years ago IIRC. He said NJ doesn’t have the money to pay for it. It’s called fiscal responsibility, Alf. 

Christie killed the original plan 8 yrs ago.  This fight is about the latest proposal to fix the corridor, and it will be resolved, because if that tunnel fails, I don’t think Trump would be safe setting foot in Manhattan. 

26 minutes ago, GG said:

Christie killed the original plan 8 yrs ago.  This fight is about the latest proposal to fix the corridor, and it will be resolved, because if that tunnel fails, I don’t think Trump would be safe setting foot in Manhattan. 

Just returned from visiting Hoboken and we went over the newly opened (to us) wing of the new Tappan Zee bridge. It’ll be eight lanes in each direction by the time the second wing is finished. Very impressive. It rivals some of the bridges and highways we saw in China. Has Cuomo figured out how to pay for it yet? :unsure:

Where is the NJ approach going to be located, and where does it dump out in Manhattan?

It will be built now that the goobenor in NJ is a Democrat. It’ll be part of the great bipartisan leap forward and a hallmark of the great debt forgetfulness of his first term. “The Trump Tunnel” has quite a ring to it - no? Sounds better on the ear than the Frank R. Lautenberg Seacaucus train station. Oh these political monuments!

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Just returned from visiting Hoboken and we went over the newly opened (to us) wing of the new Tappan Zee bridge. It’ll be eight lanes in each direction by the time the second wing is finished. Very impressive. It rivals some of the bridges and highways we saw in China. Has Cuomo figured out how to pay for it yet? :unsure:

Where is the NJ approach going to be located, and where does it dump out in Manhattan?

It will be built now that the goobenor in NJ is a Democrat. It’ll be part of the great bipartisan leap forward and a hallmark of the great debt forgetfulness of his first term. “The Trump Tunnel” has quite a ring to it - no? Sounds better on the ear than the Frank R. Lautenberg Seacaucus train station. Oh these political monuments!

The new tunnel will be right next to the existing tube heading into Penn Station.   In the meantime, the Portal Bridge is much more dire to fix.  There are few places in the US where an upgrade is more desperately needed. 

You’re right, the speed & execution of Tappan Zee rebuild is miraculous by NYS standards.

10 hours ago, Nanker said:

Chris Christie killed that tunnel about five years ago IIRC. He said NJ doesn’t have the money to pay for it. It’s called fiscal responsibility, Alf. 

I'm 100% in favor of  fiscal responsibility . The unions there are out of control and I retired GM . I back Trump to get this cost under control. 

18 hours ago, GG said:

The new tunnel will be right next to the existing tube heading into Penn Station.   In the meantime, the Portal Bridge is much more dire to fix.  There are few places in the US where an upgrade is more desperately needed. 

You’re right, the speed & execution of Tappan Zee rebuild is miraculous by NYS standards.

The Portal Bridge.  I was delayed many times on the commute into and out of The City by fires and switch problems that very spot caused. 

It would be great theatre if they built a high speed capable bridge alongside that old wreck, but made the Seacaucus traffic take the old girl track. But The Builder from Queens will be bipartisan and allow the Trump Track to go over the Trump Bridge to stop at the F. R. Lautenberg Seacaucus station. :P