Baby it's cold out there!

ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh, I’m not afraid of the cold.  I’ve had my eyes frozen open several times walking from my car into work at -65/-70.  No wind chill.  That is cold.

I’m afraid of the power going out, and not being able to watch the game on Sunday!

Wow! Frozen open, my God! 

@ work right now... It's taking this tow (700' long by 54' wide... 7,000 tons of decant oil) forever to get out of the mouth of Lake Calumet & through the ice.  Been waiting 1.5 hours with lock gates open... Cycling them so they don't freeze in the open position:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.568/centery:41.659/zoom:15

Bird lovers dream... Every different bird is flocking to the open water and the warm water generated by my air compressors.  Trying to get a pic of a bald eagle and a kingfisher (I think a kingfisher) type bird.

Edit:  Blasted!... Tow looks like it is stuck real good in ice (MarineTraffic link above)... He's backing up to make a run... He even unhooked and "cut trail" through ice an hour ago... The shipping lane "knits" up quickly in these temps... Good that sun is shining, @ night even worse!

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh, I’m not afraid of the cold.  I’ve had my eyes frozen open several times walking from my car into work at -65/-70.  No wind chill.  That is cold.

I’m afraid of the power going out, and not being able to watch the game on Sunday!

You da man!  That's what I wanna hear! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Hey... He finally made it!  Only took him two & a half hours to make a 1/2 mile...<_<

So cold out there, I think these poor fellas from down South, New Orleans way, don't know what hit them! Come North and toughen up!

Now for the tricky part... How long will he spend below us wallowing in the ice?  The big bend (Acme Steel Bend) in river acts like a giant p-trap with the ice.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s snowing outside in Vermont :w00t:

Tomorrow and Saturday will be kinda scary here though.  They’re forecasting 30-40 mph winds and wind chill from -25 to -40.  Expecting mass power outages.  If my power goes out, I’m bringing the Hammersticks clan to @Gugny‘s house!

Anytime, Hammersticks!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Federal office I work in sent out an "emergency amendment" to the evacuation plan today.  Two pages that boiled down to "It's cold outside, so if there's a fire, don't forget your coat."

That would be some irony if you froze to death fleeing a fire.

Here's a fun winter project when it gets cold... And you're bored and have nothing to do but shiver.  Learned it from somebody from S.Dakota...

Take pail of water and stick it outside.  Let freeze... Flip over after 12 or so hours (deepening on the severity of the DeepFreeze)... Remove out of pail.  Core should not freeze solid.  On bottom side, punch out bottom and spill "core" water.  Shine it up, smooth with a little hot water (not necessary).

Put tealight(s) in and line walkways, etc... ENJOY!

My morning light after coming home from work:

IceLanterns_01062018_Comp.thumb.jpg.439d6e774331189b26d45e4374da283f.jpg

On 1/5/2018 at 9:27 PM, DC Tom said:

Federal office I work in sent out an "emergency amendment" to the evacuation plan today.  Two pages that boiled down to "It's cold outside, so if there's a fire, don't forget your coat."

The hospital I work out sends out very similar stuff any time the word "cold" is even mentioned in the forecast.  Strangely, they didn't send out anything last week.  This is only my 4th winter in this area, but that was definitely the most snowfall we've had in that time (not that it was very much).  I wonder if they've modified a lot of the policies.

Anyway, the lengthy freeze here has cracked just about every concrete surface around my house.  It's only two years, so it's frustrating that it's more than likely not covered by any warranty.  My driveway is currently two inches higher than the garage floor and portions of the garage floor that they patched pretty poorly have broken off.  Now I get to wait and see if it settles back anywhere close to where it was before.  Then, unless some warranty miracle comes through, I get to replace a lot of two year old concrete.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The hospital I work out sends out very similar stuff any time the word "cold" is even mentioned in the forecast.  Strangely, they didn't send out anything last week.  This is only my 4th winter in this area, but that was definitely the most snowfall we've had in that time (not that it was very much).  I wonder if they've modified a lot of the policies.

Anyway, the lengthy freeze here has cracked just about every concrete surface around my house.  It's only two years, so it's frustrating that it's more than likely not covered by any warranty.  My driveway is currently two inches higher than the garage floor and portions of the garage floor that they patched pretty poorly have broken off.  Now I get to wait and see if it settles back anywhere close to where it was before.  Then, unless some warranty miracle comes through, I get to replace a lot of two year old concrete.

Did they do the work right... Or just cut corners because it's down South?

We got 60 year old concrete that doesnt have any cracks and the coldest I ever felt here in Northern Illinois was in the -20s (actual temp).  The high only reached -10°F in 1994.  In 1995, it was 104°.

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did they do the work right... Or just cut corners because it's down South?

We got 60 year old concrete that doesnt have any cracks and the coldest I ever felt here in Northern Illinois was in the -20s (actual temp).  The high only reached -10°F in 1994.  In 1995, it was 104°.

That's the big question.  The problem is widespread throughout the entire neighborhood.  Maybe that winds up working in my favor, they're may want to take care of things to keep people quiet.  If it was just me, I'm sure they'd tell me to F off.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else in the south has seen these problems.  I understand why it's happening, but it does seem to be a bit extreme.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

That's the big question.  The problem is widespread throughout the entire neighborhood.  Maybe that winds up working in my favor, they're may want to take care of things to keep people quiet.  If it was just me, I'm sure they'd tell me to F off.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else in the south has seen these problems.  I understand why it's happening, but it does seem to be a bit extreme.

Slabs are poured up here thicker... Stronger, rebar, etc... Why things are expensive.

Do you have basement?

Of course they will stick to bare minimum code.  Factor in competition between builders to build faster and cheaper... There's problems.

Even gators are having them:

Watch "Gators Survive Icy Conditions"

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/gators-survive-icy-conditions?pl=pl-the-lift

Edited by ExiledInIllinois