Baby it's cold out there!

ExiledInIllinois

On 12/27/2017 at 12:48 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

You east coasters still use heating oil (basically off-road diesel)?

By bro inlaw in Mass still does too.  Dirty,-dirty, dirty...:P. But fuel oil is a big commodity through the lock through the fall and into the winter... Lot of it moves South and too the East Coast.  It's probably 20% of our yearly tonnage. 

We use fuel oil here in Vermont.  A friend of mine just ruptured his tank trying to jack it up.  I guess one of the legs needed to be fixed or something.  Anyway, I believe he said he had something like 20 yards of topsoil wheelbarrowed into his basement to soak it up, and then they had to shovel it all out.  Crazy ****.

We made AgDay site:

Https://www.AgWeb.com/agday

Video... Pics of our "IcePix" @ our Lock (1:10+).

Early reports... 1/4-1/3 of winter wheat crop may see winter kill.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:20 PM, CowgirlsFan said:

Sure feeling for everyone in these 40° temperatures here ?

It's 14° degrees out... Now...  Turtleneck weather... All weekend long bundled up skiing -5°!  My poor daughter couldn't endure like my son & I... Did the H.Valley "torch light" New Year's Eve ski parade.. It was like two below:

On 12/29/2017 at 2:06 PM, Boyst62 said:

41°. 17° when started.  13° last night when I stopped. Hands cold enough they wouldn't read ony touch screen. 

Baby!

:P

That's balmy... They do make "e-touch" gloves for the wimpy, wimpy, wimpy.

It was nice driving back yesterday... Stocked up on Perry's ice cream and just threw it in the back of pickup... @ 2 degrees, it worked out perfect!

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Baby!

:P

That's balmy... They do make "e-touch" gloves for the wimpy, wimpy, wimpy.

It was nice driving back yesterday... Stocked up on Perry's ice cream and just threw it in the back of pickup... @ 2 degrees, it worked out perfect!

Your wife didn't eat it while you were driving?

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

crawl space

They might freeze, since the pipes pass through some open air.  Depends on how well insulated things are.

With a basement,  myself personally, never had problems even at extended temps of -teens & -20s actual temps.

My neighbor now used to NOT have a basement and says they would have to drip the pipes in old house, or put heat tape on during these bad spells.

Again, with basement, how are they going to freeze with the service pipes well below the frost line?  Up here, water lines are buried more than 48" deep.  Freeze line is around 36" up here.

Are outside faucets freezeproof?  Meaning the valve extends a ways into house?  If not, you may have to keep water moving around there in the pipes.

It's hard to say with out examining your situation but I would think not having basement may set you up to be in a situation for more chances of freezing.

Also:  where you live.  They don't bury that deep down South.  Up North, pipes will be well below frost line.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 12/27/2017 at 4:47 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Burrrr!!

Cold, cold morning... Gates really jumping out of the water this morning!  Wild ride walking them, very creepy:

Freezing hard... Boats busting up the ice, keeping shipping lanes open:

-20 wind chills expected early tomorrow 

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I just measured my yard and about 8 inches of snow has come down and it's still snowing, but supposed to end in an hour or so

Warmer air holds more moisture.

That's good for insulating against the cold.

It downright feels like summer here, sunny and +9.  Actually, rather nice in just a hoodie  I wish we had the big snows, it's much colder though and when the really bad cold breaks, it feels warm.

Cold is a state of mind.  Until your ears, fingers, & toes fall off! :D

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s snowing outside in Vermont :w00t:

Tomorrow and Saturday will be kinda scary here though.  They’re forecasting 30-40 mph winds and wind chill from -25 to -40.  Expecting mass power outages.  If my power goes out, I’m bringing the Hammersticks clan to @Gugny‘s house!

You lived in Fairbanks... Surely you can handle this!  This is May in Fairbanks, no?

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

-20 wind chills expected early tomorrow 

Wind chills...<_<

The low was an acutal -10° to -20°F... Wind chills had to be in the -30<.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You lived in Fairbanks... Surely you can handle this!  This is May in Fairbanks, no?

Oh, I’m not afraid of the cold.  I’ve had my eyes frozen open several times walking from my car into work at -65/-70.  No wind chill.  That is cold.

I’m afraid of the power going out, and not being able to watch the game on Sunday!

• Haha (+1) 1