Baby it's cold out there!

ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I’m staying in my warm house the rest of the week.   I Better have them deliver more oil.  

You east coasters still use heating oil (basically off-road diesel)?

By bro inlaw in Mass still does too.  Dirty,-dirty, dirty...:P. But fuel oil is a big commodity through the lock through the fall and into the winter... Lot of it moves South and too the East Coast.  It's probably 20% of our yearly tonnage. 

Babies!:D

-2 here... Locking a boat right now...

EDIT:  oops!  It's 12/27!  :lol: counting the days away! 

They gonna be pestering us all night keeping these lanes open... One's below too... Can see them pass here in almost real-time:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.577/centery:41.647/zoom:13

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, mead107 said:

Always on 3rd shift? 

Last 2 years... 12's not sure how rotation goes... :lol: but either working overnights 18:00-06:00 (now) or days 06:00-18:00.

After tomorrow morning, next week Wednesday & Thursday days.  Then I work a night, Friday, I switched with a co-worker for being off Tuesday (travel back from WNY on Tuesday).  

There is a pattern of like five weeks... But I don't let my body figure it out... Keeps me svelte...:D

I think the tows are passing under I94 now:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.577/centery:41.647/zoom:13

Click on vessels to see intetactive.  Click those two blue dots and it will show you the tour boats Wendella and Sunliner... They come from downtown and over-winter below us...

"Grabbing" line now... Watch that snapback, never stand in  "line of fire."

Man... Cold, should have put my jacket & gloves on... Sabres hoodie not cutting it! :D

19 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

35 ° here.

The only way I stay warm is thinking of you guys.

I am probably not helping... To stay warm... :D

This is how the deckhands keep the lines (ropes) from freezing in one stiff, straight line.  A lantern goes in coiled line and then covered with tarp.  In this weather, line is doomed if it gets wet, freezes instantly:

20171227_230751.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois