Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Uncle Joe said:

I am going to have to keep this on this on the radar for Netflix March 16th.
Wild Wild Country six part series:

Produced by Mark and Jay Duplass ("Togetherness"), "Wild Wild Country" is directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, who made "The Battered Bastards of Baseball," the entertaining documentary about the late, great Portland Mavericks baseball team.

"Wild Wild Country" goes back to the early 1980s, when a philosophy professor-turned guru from India called Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his followers bought land in Oregon's Wasco County. Rajneesh's chief of staff, Ma Anand Sheela, was the organizer, and thousands of crimson-clad followers showed up to live and work on the commune.

Just watched this and learned a lot more than I already knew. I visited the Bend area nearby in 1984 when all this was still going on and went to the ranch after they were gone in the later 80s. The road signs on the way to it were all shot up with bullet holes. There were acres of organic apple orchards left abandoned. My friend owned a juice company and we would fill up his truck with bushels. As strange as the whole story was, it was pretty incredible what they did to the land. It is now a Christian camp. See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image

Edited by Turk71

watched the first episode last night.....was hooked during the soft opening.  not sure i am was aware of this when it was going on as it doesn't seem familiar.  I am going to put my headphones in and watch all of these at work today.  This should be very fascinating and i  love the Duplass brothers, they do some really good work

On 3/3/2018 at 10:53 AM, Uncle Joe said:

I am going to have to keep this on this on the radar for Netflix March 16th.
Wild Wild Country six part series:

Produced by Mark and Jay Duplass ("Togetherness"), "Wild Wild Country" is directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, who made "The Battered Bastards of Baseball," the entertaining documentary about the late, great Portland Mavericks baseball team.

"Wild Wild Country" goes back to the early 1980s, when a philosophy professor-turned guru from India called Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his followers bought land in Oregon's Wasco County. Rajneesh's chief of staff, Ma Anand Sheela, was the organizer, and thousands of crimson-clad followers showed up to live and work on the commune.

25 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

watched the first episode last night.....was hooked during the soft opening.  not sure i am was aware of this when it was going on as it doesn't seem familiar.  I am going to put my headphones in and watch all of these at work today.  This should be very fascinating and i  love the Duplass brothers, they do some really good work

This was around 1980-1985 in Oregon and this documentary has spurred some old memories around here. I did not realize my old HS classmate, Oregonian reporter Les Zaitz,  would be featured as much as he was in this series. It was interesting to see the Bill Bowerman connection as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2018 at 5:39 AM, Uncle Joe said:

This was around 1980-1985 in Oregon and this documentary has spurred some old memories around here. I did not realize my old HS classmate, Oregonian reporter Les Zaitz,  would be featured as much as he was in this series. It was interesting to see the Bill Bowerman connection as well. 

On 3/31/2018 at 7:28 PM, Turk71 said:

Just watched this and learned a lot more than I already knew. I visited the Bend area nearby in 1984 when all this was still going on and went to the ranch after they were gone in the later 80s. The road signs on the way to it were all shot up with bullet holes. There were acres of organic apple orchards left abandoned. My friend owned a juice company and we would fill up his truck with bushels. As strange as the whole story was, it was pretty incredible what they did to the land. It is now a Christian camp. 

On 4/5/2018 at 5:07 AM, The Poojer said:

A recent interview with my HS Classmate Les offers some more insight to the story line:

https://www.cjr.org/q_and_a/reporter-reveals-luckiest-break-in-investigation-of-cult-behind-netflixs-wild-wild-country.php

18 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

A recent interview with my HS Classmate Les offers some more insight to the story line:

https://www.cjr.org/q_and_a/reporter-reveals-luckiest-break-in-investigation-of-cult-behind-netflixs-wild-wild-country.php

Where did you guys go to high school? Les was a great investigative reporter, nominated for a Pulitzer at one point. 

My wife ran track for U of O and met Bowerman when he was in his early 80s, she says he was very positive and encouraging. 

Edited by Turk71

10 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Where did you guys go to high school? Les was a great investigative reporter, nominated for a Pulitzer at one point. 

My wife ran track for U of O and met Bowerman when he was in his early 80s, she says he was very positive and encouraging. 

Sent you a pm.

Derren Brown: The Push

Netflix

It’s a “reality movie” about a crazy social experiment about how people can be coerced and manipulated to do horrible things they normally wouldn’t do.  Apparently, there is some question as to how real the movie is, but it sure seemed real to me.  I’ll be interested to hear some other perspectives.

Couldn't sleep last night so I tried to find something new.  Tried Amazon for a change.  Came across "Tin Star."  Has a Bosch like quality to it.  One season so far, 10 episodes.  On episode 6 now.   I would bet anyone who likes Bosch will enjoy this.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Greybeard said:

Couldn't sleep last night so I tried to find something new.  Tried Amazon for a change.  Came across "Tin Star."  Has a Bosch like quality to it.  One season so far, 10 episodes.  On episode 6 now.   I would bet anyone who likes Bosch will enjoy this.

Thank you! Just finished Bosch season 4 so needed this

Watched Lost in Space up to episode 7/10

This show needs a science advisor. For a sci-fi show, the writers' understanding of physics is closer to looney tunes than reality.

Throw in the fact that a highly selective recruitment program managed to choose 100 idiots to start a new colony; including must needed professions like cello player and surfer; is too ridiculous to ignore.  Although, It would make sense to include only 1 doctor and 1 mechanic in your roster of 100 if the laws of Physics no longer apply in the post-apocalyptic future.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Watched Lost in Space up to episode 7/10

This show needs a science advisor. For a sci-fi show, the writers' understanding of physics is closer to looney tunes than reality.

Throw in the fact that a highly selective recruitment program managed to choose 100 idiots to start a new colony; including must needed professions like cello player and surfer; is too ridiculous to ignore.  Although, It would make sense to include only 1 doctor and 1 mechanic in your roster of 100 if the laws of Physics no longer apply in the post-apocalyptic future.

Yea I pushed through all 10 episodes. Wasn’t impressed. They spent a lot of money, judging by the effect but there isn’t a lot of substance. It just never got going and then it was over.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but Top Gear(the original series) and The Grand Tour are really entertaining shows.  I thought they were too gear-head for me, but every episode has me laughing quite a bit.  I did like the second version with Rutledge whatever his name is, but haven't watched the latest version with Matt Leblanc.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Greybeard said:

Started watching this,  just finished episode 6. Interesting series. Kind of a mix between Law Abiding Citizen and Bosch, with a sprinkle of The Killing mixed in.