Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, Uncle Joe said:

I am going to have to keep this on this on the radar for Netflix March 16th.
Wild Wild Country six part series:

Produced by Mark and Jay Duplass ("Togetherness"), "Wild Wild Country" is directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, who made "The Battered Bastards of Baseball," the entertaining documentary about the late, great Portland Mavericks baseball team.

"Wild Wild Country" goes back to the early 1980s, when a philosophy professor-turned guru from India called Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his followers bought land in Oregon's Wasco County. Rajneesh's chief of staff, Ma Anand Sheela, was the organizer, and thousands of crimson-clad followers showed up to live and work on the commune.

Just wrapped this one up.  Really interesting. Still got the damn song stuck in my head.

22 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Just wrapped this one up.  Really interesting. Still got the damn song stuck in my head.

Just watched the 1st 3 episodes yesterday. Girlfriend says I have to wait and watch the final 3 episodes with her as well.

Just starting to see the real Ma Anand Sheela. There is a reason she is in Switzerland.

Edit: damn song is Day is Coming by Katie Kim :)

Edited by Uncle Joe

Just watched a new network show called splitting up together with Jenna Fischer?❤️.  It was as if someone stole my marriage/divorce story.  It was very funny but holy hell did it hit home.  Like the show, we split, but cohabitated for family and economic reasons.  I can't wait to follow this series.  

I loved The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Kind of the opposite side of Vikings on History. It's embellished like any show,  but it pretty historically accurate overall. I really like the actor who plays Alfred.  It's my favorite series on quite a while.

Just finished Longmire on Netflix. Pretty standard "cop" show but it was worth watching. 

And Westworld on HBO. Awesome concept and great story. Season 2 is out in the next few weeks. 

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1

On March 25, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Max Fischer said:

I highly recommend Netflix’s Tabula Rasa.  Belgian 9-part mini series. Good writing and acting. Wouldn’t be right to say anything about the plot. 

The Mrs and I watched it on your recommendation - fabulous. So many plot twists and what a wicked spin at the end. 

Thanks. ?

21 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Just watched a new network show called splitting up together with Jenna Fischer?❤️.  It was as if someone stole my marriage/divorce story.  It was very funny but holy hell did it hit home.  Like the show, we split, but cohabitated for family and economic reasons.  I can't wait to follow this series.  

Saw maybe the first 10 minutes of it last night, didn't seem horrible. It took me a while to figure out who the husband was, I was just sitting there thinking I know him from somewhere......

Bobby Lee also looks like he should be driving a windowless van in school zones....

20 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Saw maybe the first 10 minutes of it last night, didn't seem horrible. It took me a while to figure out who the husband was, I was just sitting there thinking I know him from somewhere......

Bobby Lee also looks like he should be driving a windowless van in school zones....

If I'm not mistaken he is Kate Hudson's brother, Goldie hawn and Mark Hudson's (3 dog night) kid.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:26 AM, Fetou said:

1. Bojack Horseman

2. Trailer Park Boys (the original pre-netflix exclusive seasons only, they beat that horse to death)

3. Narcos

4. Alias Grace

5. Godless

6. Stranger Things

7. Mindhunter

8. The Punisher

9. The End of the !@#$ing World (not great, a bit irritating to begin, but decent one and done short series)

Love narcos and mind hunter. Punisher was decent.  hoping the second season is a little better. Godless I found pretty slow. The last episode was great, and overall the story was good, but was kinda hoping they did more with it. I'm assuming by the way it ended, that their will be no season 2, but who knows 

14 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The Mrs and I watched it on your recommendation - fabulous. So many plot twists and what a wicked spin at the end. 

Thanks. ?

You’re probably glad I didn’t try to explain the plot. 

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

The Night Manager on AMC/Amazon Prime

Night Manger is excellent.  Could have been convoluted but found it well plotted.  I think Hugh Laurie is a supremely underrated actor. 

On 3/25/2018 at 8:10 AM, Greybeard said:

I used this list for two series to watch.  Not successful on The Bridge, at least not the Danish version.   I found it I think on Netflix and at the start of the show they showed an exit for Paisano Drive.  I thought what would the exit that leads to the softball fields in El Paso have to do with this bridge story.  Well, I guess the original The Bridge was good enough to be copied in different countries I think 3 or 4 times.   The US version is between El Paso and Jaurez.  I really wanted to watch the Danish version, so I passed on that.  Looks like they are also doing a version at the Chunnel.

I ended up watching The Stranger.   Your description was right on.  Very good, may be the most intricate plot I have ever seen..  A bit drawn out.  I would like to see a US version of this made although I am not sure how the cultural differences would affect the story.

I'll continue to use your list as I had already enjoyed Happy Valley, Broadchurch and Mrs. Maziel.  So I think your tastes align with mine.

The Bridge — Wait to find Danish/Swedish version. 

Look forward to your recommendations as well. I find I’m a hard grader and can easily give up on shows. 

Edited by Max Fischer

14 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Thanks. ?

If you liked Tabula Rasa you might like Hotel Beau Séjour (Netflix). Belgian miniseries, same directors, writers. Stay with me, murdered teenager tries to solve her own murder.  Dark, suspenseful and well written. 

I have have a longer list of recommendations in this thread. (Mostly to fish for recommendations of those I share similar tastes)

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Night Manger is excellent.  Could have been convoluted but found it well plotted.  I think Hugh Laurie is a supremely underrated actor. 

Indeed he is, but to me Laurie will always be Lieutenant George.

Which reminds me of another series worth watching, Blackadder.  British sitcom from the 80s whose four seasons are spread thru different periods in British history.  The first series is set during the reign of a fictitious medieval king.  The second, set in the Elizabethan era, is where Laurie joins the cast.  The third series is set during the Georgian era.  The final, and arguably best series, Blackadder Goes Forth, is set in the trenches of The Great War

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Poojer said:

If I'm not mistaken he is Kate Hudson's brother, Goldie hawn and Mark Hudson's (3 dog night) kid.

Yup, it is, he was on another show before with David spade

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Indeed he is, but to me Laurie will always be Lieutenant George.

Which reminds me of another series worth watching, Blackadder.  British sitcom from the 80s whose four seasons are spread thru different periods in British history.  The first series is set during the reign of a fictitious medieval king.  The second, set in the Elizabethan era, is where Laurie joins the cast.  The third series is set during the Georgian era.  The final, and arguably best series, Blackadder Goes Forth, is set in the trenches of The Great War

Was Rowan Atkinson (Mr bean) in that one too?

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

If you liked Tabula Rasa you might like Hotel Beau Séjour (Netflix). Belgian miniseries, same directors, writers. Stay with me, murdered teenager tries to solve her own murder.  Dark, suspenseful and well written. 

I have have a longer list of recommendations in this thread. (Mostly to fish for recommendations of those I share similar tastes)

You would think it would be very easy to solve your own murder though.....