What’s most important to a successful offense?

Virgil

Current offseason plan at addressing QB.  

Sign Teddy Bridgewater (prolly gonna take about 8M)

draft Mayfield (not counting on a tradeup at this point)

roll into camp with Bridgewater, Mayfield and Peterman in competition 

your QB room improved DRAMATICALLY 

Edited by MAJBobby

1) Atlanta scored WAY more points than we did in 2016. Your first point is nowhere near true. 

2) St Louis upgraded their LT and C in FA and drafted Kupp. Goff was universally viewed as the #1 pick in the 2016 draft and is in year 2. Saying St Louis just took our castoffs isn’t true either. 

3). Obviously coaching and QB play is extremely important. We need to be better at both. 

18 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

1) Atlanta scored WAY more points than we did in 2016. Your first point is nowhere near true. 

2) St Louis upgraded their LT and C in FA and drafted Kupp. Goff was universally viewed as the #1 pick in the 2016 draft and is in year 2. Saying St Louis just took our castoffs isn’t true either. 

3). Obviously coaching and QB play is extremely important. We need to be better at both. 

They were talking about our scoring offense on WGR after the game. I didn’t think it could be right either, but I don’t use the googly-thing. 

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Current offseason plan at addressing QB.  

Sign Teddy Bridgewater (prolly gonna take about 8M)

draft Mayfield (not counting on a tradeup at this point)

roll into camp with Bridgewater, Mayfield and Peterman in competition 

your QB room improved DRAMATICALLY 

Bridgewater AND Mayfield! Maj, you are hereby ordered to offer no further QB ideas.

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

Bridgewater AND Mayfield! Maj, you are hereby ordered to offer no further QB ideas.

And your solution?

my preference is go buy the top pick and take Rosen but not gonna happen

Edited by MAJBobby

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

There’s all kinds of finger pointing as to what is wrong with our offense.  Some want to say Dennison, some TT, others overall talent. 

If the 3, I think overall talent is the least important and here’s why.

The Bills had the highest scoring offense going into the last game of the season in 2016 with basically the same offense. Our rushing attack was fierce while TT had his usual pedestrian numbers.  Yes, we had different WR’s, but none of them were lighting the world on fire.  So what changed beside scheme?  We saw it on defense when Rex took over and again with McDermott. Scheme might be the most important. 

I look at the Rams as a counter point. They took our WR’s from last year, a QB labeled a bust, and a 4-12 team and have now won their division.  What changed, scheme.  Woods is a pro bowler for them and Gurley is a beast.  Talent upgrade was nothing more than our discarded wide receivers, but still a huge turnaround. 

Then I look at QB. How many years has the Pats dominated on offense with no name Wide Receivers?  ProBowl QB’s find the open players, hit throws in the clutch, and overall find a way.  You can find counter arguments with the Vikings, but that seems to be the exception. 

So what’s the answer?  For us to get over the hump and beyond, I think it’s the loss of TT, Dennison, and speed WR. 

I’m overall frustrated because I do believe that last years offense and this years defense makes the playoffs.  I’m frustrated that TT just isn’t there, but shows enough flashes to give hope.  

I hate changing up offense philosophies so much,  but I don’t want to waste another year on Dennison with a new QB. He wasn’t a good hire to begin with and proven as much all season. 

I have no idea who the new QB should be, but I would love to seen Cousins (2nd in the league in passing with no WR’s) or go QB with our first.  I want speed WR with a top 3 pick. And I want a new OC.  

I think all 3 need to happen.  I use 3 picks on those (OT), and the rest on defense because we need a DT, DB, and depth. 

Scheme and play calling that effectively use the strengths of the players, putting them in the best situations to be successful (I.e.you don't run C J Spiller up the middle or Tolbert to the outside. When you have a 3rd and one, you don't have an empty backfield, telling the defense you're passing with no option and then throw a pass 20 yards down the sideline.