What’s most important to a successful offense?

Virgil

There’s all kinds of finger pointing as to what is wrong with our offense.  Some want to say Dennison, some TT, others overall talent. 

If the 3, I think overall talent is the least important and here’s why.

The Bills had the highest scoring offense going into the last game of the season in 2016 with basically the same offense. Our rushing attack was fierce while TT had his usual pedestrian numbers.  Yes, we had different WR’s, but none of them were lighting the world on fire.  So what changed beside scheme?  We saw it on defense when Rex took over and again with McDermott. Scheme might be the most important. 

I look at the Rams as a counter point. They took our WR’s from last year, a QB labeled a bust, and a 4-12 team and have now won their division.  What changed, scheme.  Woods is a pro bowler for them and Gurley is a beast.  Talent upgrade was nothing more than our discarded wide receivers, but still a huge turnaround. 

Then I look at QB. How many years has the Pats dominated on offense with no name Wide Receivers?  ProBowl QB’s find the open players, hit throws in the clutch, and overall find a way.  You can find counter arguments with the Vikings, but that seems to be the exception. 

So what’s the answer?  For us to get over the hump and beyond, I think it’s the loss of TT, Dennison, and speed WR. 

I’m overall frustrated because I do believe that last years offense and this years defense makes the playoffs.  I’m frustrated that TT just isn’t there, but shows enough flashes to give hope.  

I hate changing up offense philosophies so much,  but I don’t want to waste another year on Dennison with a new QB. He wasn’t a good hire to begin with and proven as much all season. 

I have no idea who the new QB should be, but I would love to seen Cousins (2nd in the league in passing with no WR’s) or go QB with our first.  I want speed WR with a top 3 pick. And I want a new OC.  

I think all 3 need to happen.  I use 3 picks on those (OT), and the rest on defense because we need a DT, DB, and depth. 

If it’s just that, then explain the Vikings success. Most people here wouldn’t take any of their QBs here. 

Then look at Goff and what’s he doing this season vs last. 

It can’t be just that unless you have Brady and there aren’t many of him. 

Edited by Virgil

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

If it’s just that, then explain the Vikings success. Most people here wouldn’t take any of their QBs here. 

Then look at Geoff and what’s he doing this season vs last. 

I never said it was JUST QB. And I would have taken Case Keenum actually. He was on my list of guys to target if Tyrod would not renegotiate. Not saying I saw him having a career year (that is what it is... he will revert to the mean next year) but I think he was underrated as a QB. 

In LA I know everyone says it is about the pieces around Goff and of course they play a part, the coach most particularly, but the biggest change has been in the Quarterback himself figuiring it out. And again, not to be wise after the event.... but I reviewed every play Goff made in 2016 over the summer and there was much more good there than the national narrative would have indicated. 

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

There’s all kinds of finger pointing as to what is wrong with our offense.  Some want to say Dennison, some TT, others overall talent. 

If the 3, I think overall talent is the least important and here’s why.

The Bills had the highest scoring offense going into the last game of the season in 2016 with basically the same offense. Our rushing attack was fierce while TT had his usual pedestrian numbers.  Yes, we had different WR’s, but none of them were lighting the world on fire.  So what changed beside scheme?  We saw it on defense when Rex took over and again with McDermott. Scheme might be the most important. 

I look at the Rams as a counter point. They took our WR’s from last year, a QB labeled a bust, and a 4-12 team and have now won their division.  What changed, scheme.  Woods is a pro bowler for them and Gurley is a beast.  Talent upgrade was nothing more than our discarded wide receivers, but still a huge turnaround. 

Then I look at QB. How many years has the Pats dominated on offense with no name Wide Receivers?  ProBowl QB’s find the open players, hit throws in the clutch, and overall find a way.  You can find counter arguments with the Vikings, but that seems to be the exception. 

So what’s the answer?  For us to get over the hump and beyond, I think it’s the loss of TT, Dennison, and speed WR. 

I’m overall frustrated because I do believe that last years offense and this years defense makes the playoffs.  I’m frustrated that TT just isn’t there, but shows enough flashes to give hope.  

I hate changing up offense philosophies so much,  but I don’t want to waste another year on Dennison with a new QB. He wasn’t a good hire to begin with and proven as much all season. 

I have no idea who the new QB should be, but I would love to seen Cousins (2nd in the league in passing with no WR’s) or go QB with our first.  I want speed WR with a top 3 pick. And I want a new OC.  

I think all 3 need to happen.  I use 3 picks on those (OT), and the rest on defense because we need a DT, DB, and depth. 

IMO, it's an all-too-common mistake to look at our QB woes from the perspective of Brady, and the Evil Lord who coaches him. I truly wish that I could respect those two, being the GOATs that they are. Were they not such cheating scum...

Also, I don't believe that anyone who knew what they were talking labeled Goff a bust. His rookie season was abysmal. But, his issues were more on Fisher, and his mishandling of his team than Goff being a bust. And had the Rams not spent so much on the pick, no one would have used the word 'bust' at all. And the proof is in the pudding. Goff is a franchise guy.

But, your point is well taken. The difference between Fisher, and co, and McVay and co, is the difference between winning, and losing. Dennison stinks. Get rid of him.

No negative plays.    Taylor can make plays at QB.  He does make some bad plays but with regularity he can make good plays.  Put him in 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 3 and he'll do well.  Try a 30 yard pass on first and he'll hold the ball and get sacked.  Call a Jet sweep on first and get tackled for a 5 yard loss or get called for holding and you are basicaly killing a drive.  Keep everything on schedule.  Make positive plays. 

It's coaching.  Dennison is trying to make TT a pocket passer.  He refuses to adjust his play calling.  They spied TT the entire game.  All you havbe to do is move the pocket and that spy is no longer in the coverage where he is supposed to be.  That opens up short to mid-range passes to TE or crossing WR.  They ran a moving pocket what, maybe three times?  One to Clay for 13 yards at start of third quarter was beautiful.  

They were a top 10 scoring offense last year with Lynn calling the plays.  And McDumbass lets them change the entire blocking scheme.  Why?  It is indefensible  

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Sure Vikings success is a very good QB this year. 

Rams very good QB

Eagles very good QB

Steelers very good QB

Pats best ever QB 

Trend is easy get a very good QB and you are a contender EVERY YEAR. 

You dont and it is a coin flip

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Geoff who?

3 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It's coaching.  Dennison is trying to make TT a pocket passer.  He refuses to adjust his play calling.  They spied TT the entire game.  All you havbe to do is move the pocket and that spy is no longer in the coverage where he is supposed to be.  That opens up short to mid-range passes to TE or crossing WR.  They ran a moving pocket what, maybe three times?  One to Clay for 13 yards at start of third quarter was beautiful.  

They were a top 10 scoring offense last year with Lynn calling the plays.  And McDumbass lets them change the entire blocking scheme.  Why?  It is indefensible  

Because they realize that the scoring came from the run and not the pass.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Quarterback. Without a single hesitation or shadow of a doubt. 

Then protection. 

Then weapons. 

This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this .

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Then look at Goff and what’s he doing this season vs last. 

Case Keenum is having a really good year.  Everyone plays better.