Should Al Riveron be investigated?

ny33

18 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The overturned Kelvin Benjamin TD was very bad.

But nobody is talking about the equally bad overturned 4th Down stop.

The first down marker is not the end zone line.  You cannot reach the ball out, then pull it back and get credit for forward progress.

But hey.  I guess the refs aren't supposed to know ALL the rules.  Right? 

I thought if you reach out the ball and they pull you back , that would be forward progress?

If you’re right though, that makes me even more mad

19 hours ago, ny33 said:

I don't know the protocol for how the Bills would start something along these lines, but the call from New York today was inexcusable. In addition to the numerous members of the national media, including Peter King, deeming the reversal wrong, PFT's Michael Smith said, "Al Riveron has taken it upon himself to change the standard for what constitutes enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. He routinely changes calls when there simply isn't indisputable, clear, and obvious evidence that the call on the field was wrong." 

That's my issue too. Indisputable or incontrovertible don't mean "I think." Someone in NYC may think that Benjamin didn't possess the ball while dragging his left foot but even the CBS split screen wasn't indisputable (to me at least). The assumptions that had to be made on the fourth down reversal make me wonder about the legitimacy of the league.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-made-catch-rule-worse-latest-explanation-thats-bound-inflame-fans-players-023844170.html

"It turns out you can even screw up an NFL catch via telephone. NFL vice president of officiating Al Riveron proved it Sunday, overturning a Bills touchdown catch during a 37-16 Bills loss to the New England Patriots."

" By the letter of the NFL law, Riveron was supposed to yield to his guys on the field. Instead, he chimed in from the league’s operations headquarters and overturned the play – without an actual explanation on the field."

WOOOOOW.... Reading this entire article made my blood boil. There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start. People should be outraged everywhere.
 It's worth reading all the way through, as the two men who formerly held Al Riveron's position chimed in & were pretty ticked off too. This is a mess.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Riveron works for Kraft. The league has been blatantly going out of their way to favor NE since the embarrassing tuck game. The entire Tom and Bill era is riddled with dozens and dozens of controversial calls favoring the cheatriots. If I'm a fan of an opposing team playing NE I'd just not even bother watching. This yearly anointing of NE is a disgrace to the league....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is why it's so unfair to play them.  I'm almost at the point where it's not worth playing when it's 2 against one.  

I have a lot lot of respect for the coaches and players who still try to beat them each year knowing everything stacked up against them. 

Thanks for sharing.  Also, wouldn't be surprised if the pats trolls are on their way.  Remember folks, just ignore them.  They are only here because you feed them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's how the system works with NY making determinations by Riveron. 

But as was pointed out by the OP,  the "system" also requires NY to cede to the onfield call in certain circumstances. Al Riveron has a habit of not doing that. He is either incompetent or lacks good judgement. Or maybe he's just a pervert who likes to draw attention to himself.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

But as was pointed out by the OP,  the "system" also requires NY to cede to the onfield call in certain circumstances. Al Riveron has a habit of not doing that. He is either incompetent or lacks good judgement. Or maybe he's just a pervert who likes to draw attention to himself.

I don't know what he's thinking, but the system has perverted the game. 

This is very telling too: "That didn’t sit well with two men who previously held Riveron’s position – former NFL vice presidents of officiating Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino."

“Not in the studio but on the scoreboard here in Jerry’s world, don’t see how the Buffalo TD was overturned,” Pereira tweeted. “Not clear and obvious the toe didn’t drag. There is a line behind the toe when he drags it. Am I missing something?”

“Regarding the Buffalo no touchdown, nothing more irritating to an official than to make a great call and then someone in a suit in an office in New York incorrectly reverses it. It is more and more obvious that there isn’t a standard for staying with the call on the field."

"Now that another touchdown has been taken away with out clear and obvious evidence, it is time to move on to the catch rule. It doesn’t work. … The League and the [Competition] Committee cannot be close minded on this. It is not working now. We have to adjust this to make the game better."

Pereira went off on this. Al Riverson deserves to be blasted for this.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know what he's thinking, but the system has perverted the game. 

Don't know that I would go that far. I do think technology assisted off field reviews can and do improve the game. But certainly if a reviewer is for whatever reason is unable to properly perform his functions, the result can be worse than if there were no reviews. That looks to be the territory we may be in right now.

I disagree with the whole “no one knows what a catch is” narrative being applied to this case.  The issue wasn’t an unclear understanding of what constitutes a catch, the issue was simply a replay official not competently doing their job.  On the telecast they showed a split screen with two angles running in sync, one showing possession, the other showing pellets dragging from the toe in question at the same time.  It was a guy blowing a call, plain and simple.  Made worse by the fact that the description of the job states there must be indisputable evidence to overturn the ruling on the field.  He not only got the call wrong, but also incorrectly forced his failed judgement to the situation.  He failed on all levels,   Why should he still have this job?

PS -  someone should draw penises on this jokers lawn.  Merry Christmas, ahole 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Don't know that I would go that far. I do think technology assisted off field reviews can and do improve the game. But certainly if a reviewer is for whatever reason is unable to properly perform his functions, the result can be worse than if there were no reviews. That looks to be the territory we may be in right now.

Technology in the game is an improvement if utilized properly on that much we'll agree.  Riveron isn't improving the game with some of the calls out of NY and yesterday was a prime example of that.