[Misleading Title]Chargers QB benching

Bing Bong

Decision to start Peterman at Chargers, a good one?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have started the Chargers game?

• Nathan Peterman
    • Tyrod Taylor

16 minutes ago, Heitz said:

In hindsight, the O line wasn't ready - they ate our lunch all day during that game.  Mix a ferocious pass rush with a line that couldn't block and a rookie QB and things were bound to go bad.

That said, the atmosphere of that game made it a good choice to start a rook (on the road, at least).  It was certainly NOT a loud, whipped-up crowd - at least a quarter was Bills fans.

Lastly, while everyone is going to point at this game as to "why were not in the playoffs", but look to the Panthers, Bengals, Jets games for a few other reasons.  They were all in our reach, but we couldn't finish.

Cest La Vie, our record is what it is, on to tomorrow and next week!

Agree with all points

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Everyone does realize that we are debating whether or not a guy that has completed 49% of his career passes to his guys and 10.2% of his career passes to the defense should have started an NFL game? Of course not!! The Bills got destroyed for the decision, before, during and after. It was obviously deserved.

At the same time we cannot change it now. What’s done is done. There is no need to discuss that. What’s the goal? To tell a bunch of people, “I told you so?” We all want what’s best for the Bills and these next 2 weeks will tell the story.

The kid never should have been in the conversation to start a game this year, outside of catastrophic injury. 

Taylor's abysmal performance and inability to score more than a single FG in multiple games this year pushed NP (who had only been in the league for 8 months, not 8 years) into a desperation option as a starter. Something had to be done. 

Also, look at it this way: Peterman threw 5 INTs. Gave the ball to the Chargers on 5 different drives, right? Unacceptable and historically bad, without a doubt. 

Well, how is that really all that different than 5 Tyrod drives ending in a punt?

Rivers and Allen were unstoppable that day. They would have just gone on 70 or 80 yard scoring drives instead of 20 or 30. The Chargers defense was lights out -- Taylor gave up a fumble that was run back for a TD, so they got to him too. 

McDermott had to do something. But, the Bills were not winning that game, no matter who was starting. 

40 minutes ago, McBean said:

HOF QB named Brett Favre says hello.

Give me a guy under center willing to play with brass balls over a guy who is conservative as heck that can't push the ball down field.

Funny you brought him up.

In his rookie season, Brett Favre didn't even complete a pass to his own team. He was 0-4 with 2 INTs and a sack. 

His first game in year 2, he went 8-14 for 73 yards, 1 INT and 4 more sacks. 

Peterman is NOT the next Favre. However, the lesson here is to give rookies a little time to figure things out. 

2 was an unmitigated disaster against the Chargers. However, he's also showed flashes of ability this season too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why do people seem to assume that we would have won that game with Tyrod starting?

With how terrible the ENTIRE team played during that Chargers game, I don't think it would have mattered who started. Even with 0 interceptions in that game, you can't win with the way the team played (as a whole) that day. 

And it's not like Tyrod was playing great leading up to his benching. What did he have, like 50 yards total his previous game? I just looked - 56 yards total, 50% completion percentage, 3.1 yards per attempt. 

Plus, Peterman looked damn good in mop up duty during that Saints game. He was moving the ball much better than Tyrod had been. He had more yards and TD's in less than 5 minutes than Tyrod had in 3 and 2/3rds quarters. He also had more first downs on his final drive than Tyrod had All Day! (the offense only had 10 1st downs and 5 came on the final drive...). I can see why they started Peterman the next game..

The season was very quickly slipping away after that Saints game. The team needed a spark, and it worked. The Bills have won 3 of 4 since then. 

In hindsight, Peterman obviously wasn't ready to start yet. But that game wasn't even close to all his fault (did you see how putrid the o line played??). How many of those interceptions were truly on him anyway? Maybe 2? 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Funny you brought him up.

In his rookie season, Brett Favre didn't even complete a pass to his own team. He was 0-4 with 2 INTs and a sack. 

His first game in year 2, he went 8-14 for 73 yards, 1 INT and 4 more sacks. 

Peterman is NOT the next Favre. However, the lesson here is to give rookies a little time to figure things out. 

2 was an unmitigated disaster against the Chargers. However, he's also showed flashes of ability this season too. 

And its funny that everyone goes straight to the Chargers game and forgets how well he’s was playing IN A BLIZZARD.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

Considering that is comparable to what the starter put up in two separate games this year in perfect weather, it is a notable performance. 

Sure it is. At any rate,  playoffs are on the horizon and this is a tired subject that has been beaten to death even if you're new here and somehow think it needs further enlightenment.  Go Bills!

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sure it is. At any rate,  playoffs are on the horizon and this is a tired subject that has been beaten to death even if you're new here and somehow think it needs further enlightenment.  Go Bills!

By you coming to TTs defense any chance you get. 

4 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Considering that is comparable to what the starter put up in two separate games this year in perfect weather, it is a notable performance. 

And he was knocked out of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He remains the best QB on the 2017 Bills. Period. 

I agree, the 8-year veteran QB in his 3rd season as a starter is currently marginally better than the 5th round rookie drafted 8 months ago. (Even though there is some room for debate.)

Congratulations, you win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

I agree, the 8-year veteran QB in his 3rd season as a starter is currently marginally better than the 5th round rookie drafted 8 months ago. (Even though there is some room for debate.)

Congratulations, you win. 

Marginally better. :lol: Another QB guru has arrived on TSW. :rolleyes:

Comparing Taylor and Edelman says it all with regard to your acumen. 

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The Chargers coaching decision debate has come back again now that it has become relevant in playoffs. Again I am fighting the ludicrous notion that Peterman should have started. Please give me your honest opinion, as I'd like to know if I am in the minority and stop this crusade. And I sincerely apologize if I harp on it too much, I believe my "opinion" is fact and love to argue as such. :)

You should stop the crusade in any case.  What's done is done.  What good does it do to cry about now?

I said Taylor but, for just that one game, it didn’t matter. The Chargers would have beat us if we had Tom Brady at QB. The Bills were flat everywhere but especially bad at QB.

Edited by Binghamton Beast