We've been more competitive at Gillette the last couple years than you'd think

Another Fan

I'll just briefly highlight the last couple years:

2009- Okay were all Bills fans so we know how that game painfully ended.  Should've won it though

2010- Lost 38-30.  Were still in the game late I believe.  Spiller had a TD returning it.

2011- Really the only recent blowout I remember.  Lost 49-21 I think.  Still we were up 21-0 at one time.

2012- Fitz threw a last minute red zone pick with a minute left.  Could've easily stole that game

2013- Lost 34-20.  Still it was within grasp the whole way

2014- last game of the year but still won

2015- Were right there most of the way.  Still technically had a chance to tie on the last drive

2016- No Brady but we won

2011 has really been the only blowout.  Hoping for good things Sunday.  Go Bills

Edited by Another Fan

Bills have always played better against the Pats in NE vs at home.

And quite frankly that's the only small glimmer of hope this team has of winning on Sunday but still think it won't be that close because of the QB situation and not likely being able to score more than 10 points against the Pats when we are going to need at least 24+

I mean the game at New Era this year was a lot closer than the score showed. We had 0 offense, feels like that all year to be honest, but still held Brady in check until Gronk injected  himself during half time and came out like a raging behemoth.  

McDermott does have some clue how to slow Brady down a bit, even when he was with the panthers. But, like other's in this thread have stated BB then will beat you another way. I personally think this game will be closer than some think.

I'm just going to follow up & elaborate a bit on these games:

2009 - We were up 17-10 going into the 4th. Of course we let them score 15 points that quarter. If Leodis didn't fumble a KO return with under 2 mins left, would've won. Lost 25-24

2010 - We started 0-8 that year, so we were really bad. It was 31 to 23 Pats going into the 4th, so we had a decent chance. Had the ball with 3 mins left on our own 35 & Fitz threw an interception on 1st down to lose the game. Lost 38-30

2011 - The year we started off 5-2, then collapsed. We scored all 21 points in the FIRST QUARTER, finishing the period 21-0. The Pats then scored 14 in the 2nd, 14 in the 3rd & 21 in the 4th to just show us how good they really were. Lost 49-21

2012 - Got down early, as the Pats outscored us 10-0 in the first quarter. We tried to catchup but never could get there. Lost 37-31

2013 - Never really in it. Were down 16-3 at Halftime. Scored a TD at the very end of the 3rd to get within a TD of them, but they quickly put that to rest. We kicked a FG with 3 mins left to get our score to 20, but they followed up with another TD, scoring 18 in the 4th quarter. Lost 34-20

2014 - Tom Brady and half the starters only played the 1st half. Patriots were 12-3 going into that game & had nothing to play for. Still only Won 17-9

2015 - We were down 3 to 10 at half, then 10 to 20 going into the 4th. Still obtainable if it weren't for a certain QB not being a "come from behind guy" with 3-20 record in games we go down by even a single point in the 4th quarter. We got the ball back down by 1 TD with 2 mins left, but couldn't drive downfield. Lost 20-13

2016 - We played their 3rd string rookie QB, Jacoby Brissett....He only threw a combined 2 passes to Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan. The rest of his passes went 10 to RBs, and 5 to Martellus Bennett. That's it. All checkdowns and the TE. Obviously we win that game. Still, our offense only put up 16 points. Won 16-0

So in the Tyrod Taylor era, we average 14.5 points there. When Brady plays a full game, they average 34 points. In those games he played, we were competitive in half of them (which is pretty good I guess). However, we can't just discount the games played in Buffalo either. Also, Tom Brady now owns the record for most wins against a single team by a QB in all of history against the Bills. He's beaten us more times than any other QB has EVER beaten another team....Think about how bad that is.

And that 14.5 points we average against them with Tyrod? That's about par for the course this year, as we average 19.25 with him overall this year and 16.5 in away games (that's including points from the defense). Do you think 16 points (or even 19)  will be good enough to beat the Patriots in Gillette when they still are playing for something, and Brady & Gronk will be active the entire game? 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

2009- Okay were all Bills fans so we know how that game painfully ended.  Should've won it though

2010- Lost 38-30.  Were still in the game late I believe.  Spiller had a TD returning it.

2011- Really the only recent blowout I remember.  Lost 49-21 I think.  Still we were up 21-0 at one time.

2012- Fitz threw a last minute red zone pick with a minute left.  Could've easily stole that game

2015- Were right there most of the way.  Still technically had a chance to tie on the last drive

2011 has really been the only blowout.  Hoping for good things Sunday.  Go Bills

Strong post, for some reason NE tends to play better in BUF in terms of blowouts then at home. Not sure why.

9 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

2014 game I hate people saying that they just rested their starter. Patriots fans always say that. But we were kicking their ass even with Tom Brady out there. We just flat out out played New England that game.

They still weren't playing hard at all, that was apparent. They might as well have been going half speed, just trying to tune up before playoffs. They had absolutely NOTHING to play for. Not seeding, not homefield advantage, nothing. They were not going all out. 

And even so, we scored 17 in the first half and didn't score again the rest of the game! We've scored 21 in the first quarter against the Pats when they had ZERO & they still blew us out afterwards! I went to a game against them & we were up 28 to 7 at halftime, then they proceeded to beat us by several TD's after that, scoring over 40 points in the 2nd half alone! 

Acting like we would've won that game had the Patriots had something to play for AND with Brady & Co. playing the whole way through is just arrogant. You seriously think 17 points that day would've been enough to stop Brady when we've been up on them by 20+ points multiple times just for them to blow us out afterwards? I don't think so.

Edited by BigDingus

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm just going to follow up & elaborate a bit on these games:

2009 - We were up 17-10 going into the 4th. Of course we let them score 15 points that quarter. If Leodis didn't fumble a KO return with under 2 mins left, would've won. Lost 25-24

2010 - We started 0-8 that year, so we were really bad. It was 31 to 23 Pats going into the 4th, so we had a decent chance. Had the ball with 3 mins left on our own 35 & Fitz threw an interception on 1st down to lose the game. Lost 38-30

2011 - The year we started off 5-2, then collapsed. We scored all 21 points in the FIRST QUARTER, finishing the period 21-0. The Pats then scored 14 in the 2nd, 14 in the 3rd & 21 in the 4th to just show us how good they really were. Lost 49-21

2012 - Got down early, as the Pats outscored us 10-0 in the first quarter. We tried to catchup but never could get there. Lost 37-31

2013 - Never really in it. Were down 16-3 at Halftime. Scored a TD at the very end of the 3rd to get within a TD of them, but they quickly put that to rest. We kicked a FG with 3 mins left to get our score to 20, but they followed up with another TD, scoring 18 in the 4th quarter. Lost 34-20

2014 - Tom Brady and half the starters only played the 1st half. Patriots were 12-3 going into that game & had nothing to play for. Still only Won 17-9

2015 - We were down 3 to 10 at half, then 10 to 20 going into the 4th. Still obtainable if it weren't for a certain QB not being a "come from behind guy" with 3-20 record in games we go down by even a single point in the 4th quarter. We got the ball back down by 1 TD with 2 mins left, but couldn't drive downfield. Lost 20-13

2016 - We played their 3rd string rookie QB, Jacoby Brissett....He only threw a combined 2 passes to Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan. The rest of his passes went 10 to RBs, and 5 to Martellus Bennett. That's it. All checkdowns and the TE. Obviously we win that game. Still, our offense only put up 16 points. Won 16-0

So in the Tyrod Taylor era, we average 14.5 points there. When Brady plays a full game, they average 34 points. In those games he played, we were competitive in half of them (which is pretty good I guess). However, we can't just discount the games played in Buffalo either. Also, Tom Brady now owns the record for most wins against a single team by a QB in all of history against the Bills. He's beaten us more times than any other QB has EVER beaten another team....Think about how bad that is.

And that 14.5 points we average against them with Tyrod? That's about par for the course this year, as we average 19.25 with him overall this year and 16.5 in away games (that's including points from the defense). Do you think 16 points (or even 19)  will be good enough to beat the Patriots in Gillette when they still are playing for something, and Brady & Gronk will be active the entire game? 

2012 game we had 35 first downs. 

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

2012- Fitz threw a last minute red zone pick  TJumptomakeacatch Graham ran the wrong route with a minute left.  Could've easily stole that game

Fixed 2012 for you.

• Haha (+1) 1