If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Who exactly is overcoming 25th or worse defenses with any regularity?

Exactly!

We saw Rivers,Brees,Eli,the list goes on , all put up multiple losing seasons with bad defenses.

Give Taylor a top 10 D and some stability at WR and I feel he gets the job done..  I just don't see an upgrade out there that equates to more wins..

I'm on board with drafting a QB and keeping Tyrod

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Jets game? 

The guy didnt stand a chance in that game. The Bills were completely manhandled upfront and in 3rd and long CONSTANTLY running it on first and second down every possession. 

Saints and Patriots game he was bad.

Why do you think they were manhandled the whole game?   The Jets had zero concern that TT would beat them in the air.  They loaded the box and said “beat us passing.”  The results speak for themselves.  

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly!

We saw Rivers,Brees,Eli,the list goes on , all put up multiple losing seasons with bad defenses.

Give Taylor a top 10 D and some stability at WR and I feel he gets the job done..  I just don't see an upgrade out there that equates to more wins..

That's the way to do it. Draft a QB and start TT next year. 

• Sad 1

No and I’m a Tyrod fan. The team has made it clear it’s decided to move on. 

Best case scenario, we keep himone more year to compete with the rookie we draft. But I don’t see any situation where we build long term around him. 

Edited by unclepete

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly!

Brees is a terrible example of your point. He basically only needs a defense that isn't absolutely awful and he wins. Every year he has had a defense 26th ranked or better he has taken the Saints to the playoffs. His recent run of 7-9 seasons are with an all time bad defense. 

16 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

I would only do this with McCoy as OC and draft a qb.

Pick up his option it's another 1 year deal as we build a stronger team for our younger qb 

There's no option to pick up.

Taylor is actually under contract with us through the end of next season.  For a while, I thought there was another option, too.  But once I figured out that, in fact, Taylor is under contract through the end of 2018 and there will be a Cap hit (a not-so-terrible one if we cut him by the 4th day, I think, of the new league year) if we decide to cut him, I started thinking it much more likely that Taylor will be back next year, as much as some really hate that notion.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There's no option to pick up.

Taylor is actually under contract with us through the end of next season.  For a while, I thought there was another option, too.  But once I figured out that, in fact, Taylor is under contract through the end of 2018 and there will be a Cap hit (a not-so-terrible one if we cut him by the 4th day, I think, of the new league year) if we decide to cut him, I started thinking it much more likely that Taylor will be back next year, as much as some really hate that notion.

I far from hate that notion. I many ways I prefer it. I still consider it very unlikely. 

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

What if he looks as poised and confident as he did this week? What if he gets us in the dance? One might presume him and Rico finally established how to get the most out of his game, they're only going on game 13 where Dennison is scheming for Taylor. If he shows the confidence and poise he did this week, I don't think it'd be so easy to move on..

If the Bills make the playoffs and win a game or two and Taylor plays well, all bets are off regarding Taylor's tenure in Buffalo, but I think we still draft a QB in round 1.

If we make the Super Bowl and Taylor plays well, he's probably getting a new deal and an extension and we might not actually draft a QB in round 1.

If we win the Super Bowl and Taylor plays well, he gets the key to the city.

16 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Please make it stop. You guys need to stop watching Tyrod play well for a half of football hoping that’s what he can be all the time. We’ve seen who he is over the last 3 years. He can stay and battle it out with our rookie but in no way do we keep him with the plan of building around him long term.

This is what I think will happen. 

17 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

We're going h.a.m. after Cousins. Didn't you hear this already from the horse's :censored:......... I mean mouth, that parades around TSW? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I respect you opinion Badol but I equally think you have allowed yourself to fall in the category of thinking "safe" quarterback play is "good" quarterback play. 

And I should reiterate I have no issue with Tyrod coming back. My heart says that is the right thing.... my head says it is unlikely. Billsy or otherwise. 

I get frustrated with Taylor too but more often than not he's been proven right on the scoreboard for using a degree of caution.

It's easy to forget that he doesn't have the offensive talent around him to play fast and loose with the football AND he doesn't have a defense that can help him out if he makes mistakes.    Even the most optimistic of fans has to realize that going 8-5 with this team has been no small feat for Taylor.

They clipped his wings when the emptied the WR cupboard.    Funny how a team with a HOF QB like Pittsburgh wants to be 6 deep with HR hitting WR while the Bills thought they could get by without any.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Seriously? 

Tyrod was the only positive out of that game offensively. He was pressured a RIDICULOUS amount and consistently got the team out of long down situations. 

How is anyone thinks Tyrod sucked in that game is beyond me.

Instead of being so enraptured with TT’s college game talent look at the Jets gameplan.  It was pretty simple.   Shut down the run by stacking the box heavily, put a spy on TT and make him pass.  It was the latter that he failed to do.  It’s really a classic gameplan for TT as he has never shown the ability to beat anyone through the air.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I get frustrated with Taylor too but more often than not he's been proven right on the scoreboard for using a degree of caution.

It's easy to forget that he doesn't have the offensive talent around him to play fast and loose with the football AND he doesn't have a defense that can help him out if he makes mistakes.    Even the most optimistic of fans has to realize that going 8-5 with this team has been no small feat for Taylor.

They clipped his wings when the emptied the WR cupboard.    Funny how a team with a HOF QB like Pittsburgh wants to be 6 deep with HR hitting WR while the Bills thought they could get by without any.

Do you really believe that? :lol: 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brees is a terrible example of your point. He basically only needs a defense that isn't absolutely awful and he wins. Every year he has had a defense 26th ranked or better he has taken the Saints to the playoffs. His recent run of 7-9 seasons are with an all time bad defense. 

Agreed. And my point was in defense of Cousins if that wasn't clear. Over that same span NO is 1/6 when their D finished 25th or worse, but 4 of those 6 years they were 31st or 32nd.

Point being, nobody consistently wins when their D is that bad (Bottom 8). ~0.500 is pretty much what you get no matter who your QB is (unless it's Brady/Rodgers). And neither Brady, nor Rodgers have had to deal with a D that bad very often.

13 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Been there, done that.  He had two HOME games where he passed for less than 70 yards and you want to consider having him back? 

Next...

I really think Taylor should have been pulled in that NE game after he got hurt on the 2nd or 3rd play.  I think his injury seriously impacted his play.  That interception he threw was extremely uncharacteristic of him considering the pressure coming up the middle and all the space he had to move out to the right... looked like he was trying to minimize movement because he was seriously in pain.

It's what gives me the smallest sliver of hope that he can be much better this weekend in Foxborough, even though it might be a tiny morsel of a sliver.

He was just awful against the Saints, though, just like the rest of the team.

I think another poster said it best that the message was sent when they benched him. That's a clear indication of what the people in charge think of his ability.

I like Tyrod. The experiment was almost good enough. How much of the offensive struggles is directly on him I don't know but the chatter is out there and the negatives people say about him are starting to define him.

If Tyrod breaks the drought by some miracle then of course perceptions change. If not then I think that experiment is over. 

Edited by Lfod

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I agree with the idea of building a team with all the picks as opposed to moving up on a QB who may or may not work out.  But personally I'd prefer you go with Peterman next year, and draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round

Sorry as good decent as TT has looked some games including this week, 2 games of under 70 yards and a couple others where he was totally ineffective says he's not the answer. 

This morning ESPN was talking about a can't miss upcoming this off-season FA lineman, don't recal\l the name, but he's a guard from Carolina.  Maybe the Carolina connection will come through again.

Good god!  If we're getting rid of Taylor, guaranteed we're drafting a QB in the 1st.  People will riot in the streets if McBeane try to sell Bills fans on Peterman as the QB of the future.

That would be such a Brownsy move!!!

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Zay should have made that play Sunday.  Was a bad drop.  The passing game execution in the 2nd half was definitely not all on Tyrod.  Ducasse missed a huge block that led to a massive sack, Zay had a poor drop, Deonte ran what looked to be a wrong route and Tyrod missed Clay with a throw I think he should make.  If those 4 plays are made I think the perception of the 2nd half offense is very different.  

There was another pass that Zay had a chance to catch, but didn't

https://twitter.com/Cover_1_/status/942907781375582208

I just wish Zay would start living up to his reputation coming out of college.