If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

There's a couple things that have to happen if Tyrod wants to remain a Bill and get a big contract.

1. He has to play great these last two games and lead the team to 10-6.

2. He needs to drive this team deep into the playoffs, and atleast reach the afc championship.

if he can't do that, then there is no use in keeping him.

He needs to play like his life depends on a win in a foxboro. He needs to take a big step, and soon. 

I don't want him to be the qb anymore if they dont beat the patties and only back into the playoffs  

The WORSt nightmare for the Bills is for Tyrod to play well and have us make the playoffs with him at quarterback.  That would ensure an early exit from the playoffs - which is as meaningless as making the playoffs with the talent on this team - and we RETAIN both Dennisson and Tyrod and have the same crap for another year.  Trust me, McDermott will be all about "the process" and won't shake up anything if we make the playoffs.  We NEED to miss the playoffs, dump the coordinator and QB, and draft or sign a guy.  Anything else is a disaster.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If the Bills lose Taylor will get the blame no matter what. Jets game is a prime example. 

QB takes a lot of the blame and a lot of the credit for how the team plays. Taylor was terrible against the Jets, Saints, Panthers, NE, Bengals, ect. Those losses are not all on Taylor but he did not play well. The problem I have with Taylor is his consistency. He plays good in some games and terrible in others. I dont remember Taylor ever having a great game though. The Bills need more talent on both sides of the ball. 

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

QB takes a lot of the blame and a lot of the credit for how the team plays. Taylor was terrible against the Jets, Saints, Panthers, NE, Bengals, ect. Those losses are not all on Taylor but he did not play well. The problem I have with Taylor is his consistency. He plays good in some games and terrible in others. I dont remember Taylor ever having a great game though. The Bills need more talent on both sides of the ball. 

For many a "great game" by TT is anything above 220 yards passing (yet not exceeding 310) 

for some it is over 150 yards passing 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

For many a "great game" by TT is anything above 220 yards passing (yet not exceeding 310) 

Good point. To me a great game by a QB is where he shreds a defense no matter what they try to do. He is able to move the ball consistently. He throws multiple TD's and puts the game away when he needs to. I dont care if it is for 250 yards or 400 yards. I dont think we will see a game like that from Taylor. 

Build around Tyrod? No. McCoy is no spring chicken and will only be around for another year or two, which means then we won't have an elite, fringe HOF running back to distract defenses.

But, you can bring Tyrod back for another year and pick up a ton of non-QB talent, even draft a QB if you really like one that you can get. This team lacks talent across the board, especially the front 7 on defense and the offensive line.

Tyrod is the perfect stop gap QB. He doesn't turn the ball over and can pick up 3rd downs with his feet, and occasionally make a throw. But you eventually have to attempt to find a top 10 talent who can throw the ball all over the field.

Hard to tell if Dennison is a problem or if it is just a bad fit for Tyrod. I doubt they move on from him after just one year. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Good point. To me a great game by a QB is where he shreds a defense no matter what they try to do. He is able to move the ball consistently. He throws multiple TD's and puts the game away when he needs to. I dont care if it is for 250 yards or 400 yards. I dont think we will see a game like that from Taylor. 

Yep. Great games for Tyrod are when he gets over 200 yards and 2 scores, something that is average for any other starting QB.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I've not quoted the first few lines of your response to save space - but broadly, as you know, my response to them is simply that I don't think Tyrod is as good as you think he is.  I think you overvalue his lack of mistakes in turning it over and undervalue his mistakes in terms of ball placement on plays he makes and missing guys who are open on plays he doesn't.  I don't think he will ever lead a team into consistent contention because even in a scheme that plays to his strengths he is a natural conservative thinker and is a "do just enough" Quarterback and he has never proven he can do "just enough" consistently.  

As for the final 2 paras.... I don't disagree with much of that.  I don't think Tyrod has any intention of coming back in 2018 though.  The Bills have to decide whether to pay him the money and force him to come and do his bridge job or trade/release him.  I suspect that it is the latter option and at this stage I think it might be in everyone's best interests to part ways.  I accept that might mean that you get worse QB play next season while your vet bridge plays and then your rookie gets in and makes mistakes but I think it is the short term pain that will have to be borne.  I would not be against Taylor coming back... and prior to the benching I thought that was what should happen.... bring TT back and draft a guy - avoid the Fitz situation.  I just feel like there might be too much water under the bridge at this stage.  

He had a second winning record in 2016 but they were 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs. I was at the 1 as well.... it was Wembley vs the Bengals.  

He has clear limitations but he also makes a ton of plays that perhaps only he and Russell Wilson can make and disgruntled Bills fans have conditioned themselves to give him ZERO CREDIT for any longer.   I think you've allowed yourself to fall into that category by worrying about the YAC opps he misses. 

As for "intention of coming back" etc.. I don't care what he thinks he's under contract.     Caring about where the under-contract player wants to be is Billsy.    Bills fans of all people shouldn't allow themselves to be Billsy.   That's why they ate Fitzpatricks contract and traded Lynch and Peters etc..  But things change fast....unmanageable situations become happy ones in a manner of months in the NFL.   I'd put Taylor returning at 10% in my mind but in reality it's probably a lot higher than that.   Everyone has a plan for free agency until.....

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

IMO Tyrod got the massage when Peterman got the start agains the Chargers , with that said I think the only way they keep Tyrod is if he catches fire beats the patriots* , and I mean BEATS the patriots* not just a win because defense got 5 turnovers or a miracle 60 yard fied goal at the end , and then wins at least one or two playoff games , them maybe he would have a legitimate case to compete for the starting QB  job in 2018 ,  and even with all that I still believe that we draft a QB , and I still don’t think that we use our draft picks ( to build around him ) I think for that to happen he would have to get us to the SB ! 

Just my opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your viewpoint. However, I respectfully and strenuously disagree with it. It is a mind-set that has crippled this organization. I would definitely be for selling almost all the draft assets to get a top tier qb prospect. The models to follow are the Rams and the Eagles. A couple of years ago they each sold the company store to get their respective qbs in Goff and Wentz. LA in the following year was aggressive in free agency to dramatically upgrade the roster through free agency and trades with the acquisition of Woods, Watkins, Whitworth and Sullivan. With all the side deals in the following year the most important reason for each teams leap forward is getting their qb in the draft the prior year with an all effort to get in the position to make the transaction happen. 

The model not to follow is Cleveland. They dealt away golden opportunities to get a qb in the draft in order to accumulate picks to bolster the roster in general. It hasn't worked because they didn't adequately address the qb issue. The lesson to be drawn is that the qb position is the priority. Until that position is secured you are getting nowhere. 

So put it all on red and spin the wheel? That's simply NOT how you build a winning team. We supposedly put together an all-star scouting team under Brandon Beane. If they say we have to do that, we will. But it's more likely they will find a development project late in the 1st or in the 2nd round, while still drafting a team that QB will need to succeed. So don't be mad if Tyrod stays one more year while the QB of the future develops.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So put it all on red and spin the wheel? That's simply NOT how you build a winning team. We supposedly put together an all-star scouting team under Brandon Beane. If they say we have to do that, we will. But it's more likely they will find a development project late in the 1st or in the 2nd round, while still drafting a team that QB will need to succeed. So don't be mad if Tyrod stays one more year while the QB of the future develops.

Yeah, the Rams and Eagles aren't winners. Also, those Texans were crazy to trade up for Watson.

I'd keep TT over Dennison.  

I want Dennison gone.  The second half against Miami was a joke.  Someone else must have called the plays in the 1st half, because classic Dennison returned with a vengeance in the 2nd and almost cost us the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Yeah, the Rams and Eagles aren't winners. Also, those Texans were crazy to trade up for Watson.

There's a difference between moving up a few spots and moving up 10-20 spots. We and the Chiefs are looking at picking in the 20's right now. Are you ready to pull a Ditka draft move to get your guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Williams_trade

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Wow ! Everything we heard about 

Watson and  his style not transferring to the NFL and being Tyrod 2.0 , 

The fact that the questions asked in this thread persist and are not answered is an answer.  Apparently Dennison and Tyrod deserve each other because the results say they are collectively mediocre.  The wheel goes round and round.  It’s problems with Dennison, it’s problems with Taylor, it’s lack of WR talent on the roster, it’s the o-line, it’s whatever.  

The Bills need to go get a real QB.  

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's a difference between moving up a few spots and moving up 10-20 spots. We and the Chiefs are looking at picking in the 20's right now. Are you ready to pull a Ditka draft move to get your guy?

I believe in our case we need to do what ever it takes the past 17 years are a perfect example  why we should ( don’t you think ?)

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I believe in our case we need to do what ever it takes the past 17 years are a perfect example  why we should ( don’t you think ?)

Moves made out of desperation rarely work out.

Edited by PromoTheRobot