12-18: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers - Will Know More wrt Gaines on Wednesday

26CornerBlitz

McDermott kicks things off at 1 PM ET.  Hope to hear an update on the status of EJ Gaines regarding his knee injury.

QUICK HITS: PETERMAN OUT OF CONCUSSION PROTOCOL

peterman-12-10-story.jpg

Rookie QB Nate Peterman is out of concussion protocol and should be good to go as Tyrod Taylor's backup Sunday in New England.

SEAN MCDERMOTT: "STAY FOCUSED ON OURSELVES" (12:17)
Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the prior on Monday afternoon topics include; ever changing playoff scenarios, playing meaningful games late in the year, and how well the red zone defense played on Sunday.

LESLIE FRAZIER: "KEEP PLAYING"(6:49)
Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier addressed the media Monday afternoon topics include; finished the year 6-2 at home, limiting the run game of the Patriots, and playing as a balanced defense.

RICK DENNISON: "THE BEST HALF" (11:12)
OC Rick Dennison addressed the media Monday afternoon following the teams 24-16 victory over the Miami Dolphins, topics include; Dennison's thoughts on how the offense played against the Dolphins defense, QB Tyrod Taylor's 3rd down efficiency, and looking forward at the second meeting against divisional opponent, New England Patriots.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No chance of winning on Sunday without Gaines or some MAJOR bungling by the Pats.  He’s really been our most important player this year.  Seems like our D is good when he plays and poor when he sits.  Tough position to be in going into his free agent season.  

Offer him 5-7 mill a year while drafting a cb top 3 rounds.  Johnson played a decent game yesterday but is wildly inconsistent.  The need to resign Gaines/replace him at #2 cb and replace johnson at the nickel is real.  I like johnson as a 4th cb.  Not the primary nickel.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No chance of winning on Sunday without Gaines or some MAJOR bungling by the Pats.  He’s really been our most important player this year.  Seems like our D is good when he plays and poor when he sits.  Tough position to be in going into his free agent season.  

Offer him 5-7 mill a year while drafting a cb top 3 rounds.  Johnson played a decent game yesterday but is wildly inconsistent.  The need to resign Gaines/replace him at #2 cb and replace johnson at the nickel is real.  I like johnson as a 4th cb.  Not the primary nickel.

Seems the D yesterday significantly declined after his injury.

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I'm pretty sure Gaines will get 7+ Million.  Spotrac has him at 9.7 which I think is high (especially with his injury history).

I understand you want to upgrade from Johnson, but I think we have too many other needs for the 3rd pick.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/e.j.-gaines-14599/

Johnson is also a FA next year.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm pretty sure Gaines will get 7+ Million.  Spotrac has him at 9.7 which I think is high (especially with his injury history).

I understand you want to upgrade from Johnson, but I think we have too many other needs for the 3rd pick.

7 and some change wouldnt put him in the top twenty of CB contracts.   Injuries may limit his ability to get paid top ten money, but I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't go after top 15 money which puts him in the 9.5 Million dollar range.  

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

7 and some change wouldnt put him in the top twenty of CB contracts.   Injuries may limit his ability to get paid top ten money, but I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't go after top 15 money which puts him in the 9.5 Million dollar range.  

I agree.

I want us to sign him but the injury/availability has to play in some how.

Not sure if length of contract or guarantee $'s are normally affected with someone with injury issues?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He's earned a $7M a year contract.  The defense definitely is a lot better with him in it.  Regardless of what happens, they need more depth at DB, so I do hope they do draft a DB that is capable of being a meaningful contributor.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

There you have it.  Not sure if I value him at 9.7, but he's definitely $7m plus.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I should have been more specific. I believe we will draft 1 cb in the first 3 rounds. Not 2.  Also sign 1-2 free agent cbs, probably under 3 million per.  Watching this defense I believe we need to have 3 SOLID corners.  It’s too easy to exploit the weakest link in this defense imo.  We’re set for the next 3 year with Tre, Hyde and Poyer.  We need 2-3 more guys to complete the DBs.  I believe other than QB, the Bills will concentrate the rest of the picks on Pass rush and DT with an OL possibly thrown in there.  We need to bolster the DL and LB big time.  The future of our front seven is bleak.  If we don’t trade up for a QB, I expect us to trade down and acquire more picks after selecting the BQBA with our first pick. 

I believe Gaines is worth 8-9 million.....if he was durable.  But he is not. Hence offering him lesser money.  Fragile to say the least.  I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on him with hope that he can get rid of the injury prone tag he’s earned.  Very good player though.  He’s one of my favorites for sure.  

Edited by NewEra

RICK DENNISON: "THE BEST HALF" (11:12)
OC Rick Dennison addressed the media Monday afternoon following the teams 24-16 victory over the Miami Dolphins, topics include; Dennison's thoughts on how the offense played against the Dolphins defense, QB Tyrod Taylor's 3rd down efficiency, and looking forward at the second meeting against divisional opponent, New England Patriots.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Defense has played their best when secondary has been healthy but as good as he is Gaines is injured too often to re-sign at that price

41 minutes ago, nucci said:

Defense has played their best when secondary has been healthy but as good as he is Gaines is injured too often to re-sign at that price

T which price?  9 mill or 5-7?  Maybe a multi year deal with 16-17 mill guaranteed?  Would essentially be 2 a year 7 mill per with option for more if he can stay on the field.   Will probably cost more than that but that would be my offer, maybe 7.5. 

On a a side note.  I REALLY hope Kyle rethinks retirement and comes back for another.  We play the nfc north and afc south next year.  IF we don’t make the playoffs this year, I like our chances this year.  I think we’ll be moderate players in free agency this year and with lots of picks and a potentially better QB.