Tre' White Groove

26CornerBlitz

WATCH: TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE HIGHLIGHTS (1:00)
Defensive Rookie of the Year Candidate Tre'Davious White's best plays of the season so far.

TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE'S RELENTLESS DRIVE MAKES DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR POSSIBLE

tre-white-droy-story.jpg

Tre'Davious White is more focused on ending the Bills 17-year playoff drought, but his play on the field has made him a favorite for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Buffalo Bills: Cornerback Tre’Davious White has 15 combined interceptions and pass breakups (four interceptions and 11 pass breakups) which is more than any other rookie corner this year. Through 15 weeks, he’s also racked up a playmaker index of 20.8 percent, which also tops this year’s rookie corners.

A panel of media members votes on the NFL's recognized awards, which will be handed out during NFL Honors festivities the night before Super Bowl LII in Minnesota. But what if the league's top evaluators voted instead?

My third annual early survey (and first for NFL.com) this year included personnel executives representing 14 NFL teams, including six general managers. All participated on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons and to provide an honest assessment of what, in some cases, turned out to be a rather hotly contested debate.

Who are the big winners in six notable categories? Here's a rundown:

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Marshon Lattimore, CB, New Orleans Saints

This is the only blowout on the list, with Lattimore receiving 12 of 14 votes. No player has had a bigger impact on the Saints' defensive revival. "He's turned into a pretty good shutdown corner, and they leave him on an island and he's been able to match up, which is hard for a corner to do," an NFC GM said. "That's maybe the hardest position to transition from college." The other two votes went to Billscornerback Tre'Davious White.

DJ's Rookie Spotlight: Tre'Davious White vs. the Patriots Week 16 (0:47)

REPORTERS' NOTEBOOK
While many want to revisit the catch rule, Judy Battista reports that any changes are unlikely. Read what two members of the rules-making Competition Committee have to say. Plus: on Zeke, Gronk, the Bills and more.

BUFFALO BILLS: White ready to face Gronk again. Sunday's rematch between Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski and Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White figures to command attention. Their first meeting, in Week 13, included an after-the-whistle cheap shot by Gronk that led to his Week 14 suspension.

On the field, Patriots coach Bill Belichick apologized to Bills coach Sean McDermott. This week, Tom Brady referred to it as "an unfortunate situation."

Said White, who sustained a concussion and was initially angry: "I got over it, and I'm past that. I'm just focused on winning."

White said he received no apology and expected none from Gronkowski.

"I play the same way every game and every play," White said. "I go out and compete, no matter who it is. [I am] one of the best doing it. I feel that way, and he feels like he's one of the best doing it. So I'm going to go out and compete. I don't care who it is."

White has enjoyed a terrific rookie season; McDermott mentioned his being in the running for Defensive Rookie of the Year. According to Football Outsiders, White has logged more defensive snaps (952) than any cornerback in the league.

"I don't think there's a guy that I've been around at that position, in particular, that has had that type of contribution to a team, to a defense, as early as Tre'Davious has for us," McDermott said.

The challenge of defending Gronk is considerable. His 315 receiving yards in his last two games are the most by any tight end in a two-game span since the 1970 merger. Historically, he has played well against the Bills; his six 100-yard receiving games against Buffalo are the most by any player against the Bills in the Super Bowl era.

-- Kimberly Jones

CB: Tre’Davious White (Buffalo Bills)

White has had a sensational rookie season so far. He ranks 3rd in pass deflections and is tied for 7th in interceptions with the likes of Casey Hayward, Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore. He also has a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a touchdown this season. In less than a full season, White has established himself as one of the best CBs in the game.