I watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies

That's really sad. Like some of the older posters might say "They made movies before 1998".

No, I haven't seen the LOTR movies, but there is NO way a movie whose biggest selling point is it's special effects beats out this, a classic, a pure masterpiece:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/

266550[/snapback]

I agree, the Godfather is a better movie, but the LOTR trilogy as a whole is better than the Godfather trilogy as a whole. #3 was terrible! This is an interesting list:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, now I'm gonna have to pick it up again too..........lol

You know, tell me if you agree or not.......but if there was ever a film that was a true "man" test, this would have to be the film. If you're a guy who sits down with this film and either can't relate to it, or can't understand its genius, then you are nothing but a girly man.

Hey, Puhonix.....it's been two days.....you should call that girl.....

266774[/snapback]

The scene where Jon Favreau goes to the door to get the chinese food after pausing NHLPA 1993 (yes, that's what game it is), and they unpause it and make Gretzky's head bleed, knocking him out of the game? PRICELESS

The scene where Jon Favreau goes to the door to get the chinese food after pausing NHLPA 1993 (yes, that's what game it is), and they unpause it and make Gretzky's head bleed, knocking him out of the game? PRICELESS

266843[/snapback]

Trent: "I wish they still had fights in this game so I could B word-slap Wayne"

Mike: "What they don't have fighting anymore?"

Trent: "Ya, doesn't that suck"

Mike: "Why'd they get rid of the fighting it's the best part of the old version"

Sue: "I think kids were hitting each other or something"

Trent: "Ya, but you make there heads bleed on this one"

Mike: "Make someone's head bleed"

Trent: "I'm making Gretzky's head bleed for super-fan #99 over here"

Sue: "Pause the game"

Trent: "I got f*cking Wayne"

Trent: "Alright like you scored all day, Look it Mike I got Wayne, little Wayne's legs are shaking back and forth"

Sue: "What the "

Cant find the script online and its killing me now.

Trent: "I wish they still had fights in this game so I could B word-slap Wayne"

Mike: "What they don't have fighting anymore?"

Trent: "Ya, doesn't that suck"

Mike: "Why'd they get rid of the fighting it's the best part of the old version"

Sue: "I think kids were hitting each other or something"

Trent: "Ya, but you make there heads bleed on this one"

Mike: "Make someone's head bleed"

Trent: "I'm making Gretzky's head bleed for super-fan #99 over here"

Trent: "I got f*cking Wayne"

Trent: "Alright like you scored all day, Look it Mike I got Wayne, little Wayne's legs are shaking back and forth"

Sue: "What the "

Cant find the script online and its killing me now.

266874[/snapback]

I think it was NHL '94 because NHLPA '93 was the last version to have fighting in it.

<_<

there was one main character...the guy who was actually a normal man.

i don't think i ever caught what his name was in nearly 10 hours of the three movies.

another thing i never heard....what were those creepy looking enemy monsters called?  the ones with really bad dental hygene? 

these movies were so unsorted with so little consistancy....

are you supposed to have to watch them twice to understand them?

266434[/snapback]

the normal man is Aragorn, but he is first introduced as by his ranger name, Strider. after taking the throne of Gondor he reigns as King Ellasar (but thats not touched on in the movies)

those creepy looking dudes with bad hygene are Orcs. Saruman (the evil wizard) bred his own orc's (the bigger ones) called Uruk-hai

i don't think you need to watch them twice to understand, just need a better attention span (which the modern american seems to lack). but then again i read the books (a couple times) long before the movies so i already knew what was going on

you want a challenge...watch all 3 back to back to back. B-)

If you had read those books you would understand the parallels of Middle Earth and the world according to Tolkien during WWII! He actually started to write this masterpiece while under fire in the trenches as a Brit soldier.

Peter Jackson isn't going to hold your hand and lead you thru the story like a toddler. He's going to assume you read those books so you come prepared with some background info. Jackson did a brilliant job, however, weaving this tale for those uncultured saps out there who think reading is evil. *sigh*

The movies were great but the reading experience is something I'll take with me to the grave.

To be more accurate, he was in the trenches during WWI, the first real mechanized war with chemical warfare, tanks, airplanes, machine guns, etc.

When Hitler was doing his crazy crap in the mid-late thirties is when he really started writing these books.

His relationship with CS Lewis & their discussions about Catholocism, his experiences in WWI as a doughboy, and his observations of WWII while getting bombed in England helped shape the story as it relates to the struggle between good & evil.

He clearly had strong opinions about the use of technology for violence. But that's the stuff that makes you think and distracts you from the special effects.

Not to mention the conflict between good & evil in Gollum, which you can write forever about. I actually did in college.

If you had read those books you would understand the parallels of Middle Earth and the world according to Tolkien during WWII!  He actually started to write this masterpiece while under fire in the trenches as a Brit soldier. 

Peter Jackson isn't going to hold your hand and lead you thru the story like a toddler.  He's going to assume you read those books so you come prepared with some background info.  Jackson did a brilliant job, however, weaving this tale for those uncultured saps out there who think reading is evil.  *sigh*

The movies were great but the reading experience is something I'll take with me to the grave.

267095[/snapback]

Actually, i admit that I am a literature snob and I hate Tolkein's writing style.

Howdy sloth, I'm sort of a lit snob too but really like Tolkien's subtlety and dry wit. I've never really heard bookworms complain about Tolkien (aside from a few comments about meandering and his getting "there" whenever he damned well pleases:-). Just sort of curious what it is about his writing style that you don't care for.

Cya

I've read all the books atleast thrice and obtained the extended trilogy as a Christmas gift. I'm amazed to say I still haven't grown tired of it after atleast 4 or 5 run throughs of each movie. B-) My latest thing is watching the rendetions given by the crew and cast which are available as extra features. Yes I'm a geek <_<