I watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies

:huh:

there was one main character...the guy who was actually a normal man.

i don't think i ever caught what his name was in nearly 10 hours of the three movies.

another thing i never heard....what were those creepy looking enemy monsters called? the ones with really bad dental hygene?

these movies were so unsorted with so little consistancy....

are you supposed to have to watch them twice to understand them?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing i never heard....what were those creepy looking enemy monsters called?  the ones with really bad dental hygene? 

266434[/snapback]

That describes about 90% of the creatures in the films and probably at least a handful of the posters on this site, bro

i don't think i ever caught what his name was in nearly 10 hours of the three movies.

another thing i never heard....what were those creepy looking enemy monsters called?  the ones with really bad dental hygene? 

266434[/snapback]

So, they weren't "THE BEST MOVIES EVER"? like everyone says? A girl at work lent me one of them. It's been sitting on my desk for about 3 weeks. Why? Its 179 minutes long! 3 hours? A movie that long better come with a "happy ending" if I'm gonna watch it...

thanks for saving me the trouble.

266434[/snapback]

OT?

Stojan, if you ever do get around to watching it/them, I'll give you same advice as I gave you about the SW films......try to watch them on a decent home theater system if you can. The sound and video of the LOTR films are top notch and can go a long way to making them more engaging.

They tell me you are supposed to read the friggin' books by Tolkien!

I was rather unimpressed with this trilogy. Too many confusing characters - like like who and WHAT are they?!

And "people" who don't actually die.

266441[/snapback]

you mean you have to actually pay attention to the movie?! WTF! I want to be passively entertained while I shovel bon bons into my mouth. :huh:

Actually, i admit that I am a literature snob and I hate Tolkein's writing style. However, the movies do a GREAT job capturing the imagination, creativity, and story of the books.

266434[/snapback]

No, but reading the books first would be a big help. The movies are based on books you know.

I've never read the books (I know, I know), but the movies were great. You have to watch and pay attention (ie: you're not spoon fed the information like most Hollywood movies), but the story is great, the special effects are even better.

Typical American responses though -- "I have to sit through the entire 3 hour movie?!" I even heard people as we were leaving the theater say similar things. LA's right when he calls Americans a Hot Pocket society :huh:

CW

No, but reading the books first would be a big help.  The movies are based on books you know.

266465[/snapback]

I was in Barnes & Nobles once with a buddy of mine, and while we're checking out, I look behind her to see a big LOTR display. So I turn to my buddy and say "I can't believe they turned the movies into book, look, they did it to all three movies." He catches on and responds:"Yeah, Hollywood will do anything to make a buck, I saw Jurassic Park got turned into a book too."

You can imagine the response from the clerk. Something along the lines of ignorant morons.

Typical American responses though -- "I have to sit through the entire 3 hour movie?!"  I even heard people as we were leaving the theater say similar things.  LA's right when he calls Americans a Hot Pocket society :huh:

CW

266470[/snapback]

When you're 6'2" 265, the last thing you want to do is sit in a movie theater seat for three hours lol.....

Typical American responses though -- "I have to sit through the entire 3 hour movie?!"  I even heard people as we were leaving the theater say similar things.  LA's right when he calls Americans a Hot Pocket society :huh:

266470[/snapback]

Hot pocket or not, I want some assurance that if I'm going to spend 3 hours of my life doing ANYTHING, it will be somewhat enjoyable.

I'm not saying they are bad flicks, but like you said some people even complained coming out of the movie..

according to your theory, they must just be the "hot pockets" that can't appreciate a good movie. Ever consider the fact that maybe they just didn't like it?

Hot pocket or not, I want some assurance that if I'm going to spend 3 hours of my life doing ANYTHING, it will be somewhat enjoyable.

I'm not saying they are bad flicks, but like you said some people even complained coming out of the movie..

according to your theory, they must just be the "hot pockets" that can't appreciate a good movie. Ever consider the fact that maybe they just didn't like it?

266475[/snapback]

Actually, the response from people leaving the theater was along the lines of, "That was a really good movie, but it was 3 hours long." I didn't hear anyone in the theater complain that they didn't like the movie.

The movies are very enjoyable; and if you want to take breaks, that's what the pause button on your DVD player is for (although I absolutely despise pausing movies... But that's just me).

CW

Actually, the response from people leaving the theater was along the lines of, "That was a really good movie, but it was 3 hours long."  I didn't hear anyone in the theater complain that they didn't like the movie.

The movies are very enjoyable; and if you want to take breaks, that's what the pause button on your DVD player is for (although I absolutely despise pausing movies...  But that's just me).

CW

266482[/snapback]

I was actually saying that for the third movie...which was also my favorite one by far. Great movie...but at the end I was "JUST GET ON THE DAMN BOAT ALREADY!!!!"

Great in the theatre, but better now at home. I've watched it a few times since it came out and I think it's better evey time. The special features (although also about 3 hours long per movie) made them even better!

i actually love to read. and as i get older i enjoy it more.

but, if you think i have the time to read those books? :D

Holy Cow!

I actually didn't dislike the movies. Otherwise I wouldn't have sat through all three in one weekend.

My niece owns the series on DVD, and has been asking me to watch them for the past year so she could have someone to talk to about them.

I will probably watch them all again. I just don't know that i want a 16 year old LOTR nerd yapping my ear off for hours on end every time i see her.

I bet you mean Wormtongue, an advisor to King Theodin who was actually working for Saroman. He get his comeupance when he falls of Saroman's tower in the beginning of the extended version of RETURN OF THE KING. His demise was cut from the theatrical release.

PTR

:D

266434[/snapback]

I also did the marathon Lord of the Rings session about two months ago and made the mistake of renting part three with the extended version ----- the darn thing wouldn't end. It kept going and going and going. ...I don't know how you can make it through watching the whole thing twice :w00t: