McDermott keeps making game and clock management mistakes

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You must not have been in the gameday thread.

I wanted a FG on 4th and 1 from the 1. Because you ALWAYS take the points.

100% of the time. Also thought a punt was the right call on the long attempt to Clay.

On both plays the FG was the right choice. I understand the call from the one. The call from the 36 was terrible. Just terrible. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

On both plays the FG was the right choice. I understand the call from the one. The call from the 36 was terrible. Just terrible. 

I can understand the one from the 36. Maybe.

But the one?

That should have been auto-kick.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

The 4th and 7 call wasn't that bad in my opinion. Tough kicking conditions in the cold and if he misses it, you give it to Miami at the 40. I'm usually hard on mcd but not blaming him for that one 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

The 4th and 7 call wasn't that bad in my opinion. Tough kicking conditions in the cold and if he misses it, you give it to Miami at the 40. I'm usually hard on mcd but not blaming him for that one 

He's made 12 of the last 13 over 50. The BALL is not cold, they keep  them warm. 53 is easily in his range. If over 55 then maybe there is an argument. But there is zero reason to not kick it from 53 there. 

He's made 12 of the last 13 over 50. The BALL is not cold, they keep  them warm. 53 is easily in his range. If over 55 then maybe there is an argument. But there is zero reason to not kick it from 53 there. 

I understand your points but I still think it's a 50/50 call in my opinion under the circumstances. The last thing you want to do is give Miami great field position when you are up 2 scores

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I understand your points but I still think it's a 50/50 call in my opinion under the circumstances. The last thing you want to do is give Miami great field position when you are up 2 scores

It's fourth and seven. How are the seven yards for the FG different? There is much better chance of making 53 yard FG with Hauschka than 4th and 7 on offense. Clearly awful call. And also showed by what happened. 

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

They would have been down 15.  They ended up getting just 10 of those.

Down by 15 is 2 scores, down by 18 is 3 scores.  It would have completely changed the Dolphins' last real drive because they would have been 8 down, not 11.

That's why I'm grateful for Groy's false start 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

Down by 15 is 2 scores, down by 18 is 3 scores.  It would have completely changed the Dolphins' last real drive because they would have been 8 down, not 11.

Yup. It helped a lot. Quite a few questionable coaching decisions in last quarter. Thankfully we were playing Cutler. He's got a great arm and will make plays but a coach killer more than anything. 

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I am as well.  But the only thing it changes on their last drive is going for it on 4th and 14.  No way to know a) if they get it and b) if they get the 2 PC.  And that still just ties the game.

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's fourth and seven. How are the seven yards for the FG different? There is much better chance of making 53 yard FG with Hauschka than 4th and 7 on offense. Clearly awful call. And also showed by what happened. 

House money kicked a 56 yard field goal against ATL when they were up by 3 with a few minutes left. So it's not like mcd doesn't trust Hauschka for long attempts in key situations 

He obviously didn't like the odds of hauschka making that field goal today or else he would have sent him out there for sure. Had to be the elements 

Im very hard on mcds decisions but I have no problem with him going for that 

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

House money kicked a 56 yard field goal against ATL when they were up by 3 with a few minutes left. So it's not like mcd doesn't trust Hauschka for long attempts in key situations 

He obviously didn't like the odds of hauschka making that field goal today or else he would have sent him out there for sure. Had to be the elements 

Yeah, but that was in a dome.

Just now, billsfan11 said:

He obviously didn't like the odds of hauschka making that field goal today or else he would have sent him out there for sure.

So you're saying that in an earlier similar situation the coach makes the decision to kick it and the guy kicks it at 56 and it works. So then he has a shorter kick at 53 and he decides AGAINST the kick and it doesn't work and you support that? :D

Just now, Doc said:

Yeah, but that was in a dome.

That's partially my point. The kicking conditions today were probably tougher than they looked

So you're saying that in an earlier similar situation the coach makes the decision to kick it and the guy kicks it at 56 and it works. So then he has a shorter kick at 53 and he decides AGAINST the kick and it doesn't work and you support that? :D

Yes. Dome vs. 25 degrees with wind