How about Kevin Thomas for Putzier?

A TE can be a QB's best friend. I remember Kelly going more and more to Metzalaars as the offensive line in front of him turned to crap. Yet, i wonder exactly what type of TE Mularkey and Clements would like to have in that I don't recall Pittsburgh featuring their TE's much. Bruenner for years was there to block primarily. With the power running game, blocking is far more valuable. Yet, as I mentioned above, who knows what the brass is looking for at this point.

One thing is clear in my mind though is that it would be highly risky to trust that Campbell and Euhus will be ready and capable, especially the first half of the season.

266760[/snapback]

Yep, the last PGH teams that seemed to use the TE were the Noll clubs with Bennie Cunningham and Cowher for a couple of years with Eric Green.

It's possible that FB Shelton might see some duty at TE, if he is kept on the squad.

BTW, hope Johnny is doing ok these days... :D

Yep, the last PGH teams that seemed to use the TE were the Noll clubs with Bennie Cunningham and Cowher for a couple of years with Eric Green.

It's possible that FB Shelton might see some duty at TE, if he is kept on the squad.

BTW, hope Johnny is doing ok these days... :D

266776[/snapback]

Yes he is. Thank you very much for asking. He's in Kindergarten right now as I type this and has just recently been cleared by his doctor to finally be able to begin his immunizations. Again, thanks for the kind thoughts.

Yes he is. Thank you very much for asking. He's in Kindergarten right now as I type this and has just recently been cleared by his doctor to finally be able to begin his immunizations. Again, thanks for the kind thoughts.

266781[/snapback]

That clearance is GREAT news!

sure, and my guess would be the contract is set up like most in that the signing bonus is payable as soon as the ink hits the paper.......therefore, it is denver's responsibity and they will have to account for it on their cap........

i think this is the reason you do not see RFA's traded after their contracts are matched.........like i said, i can't think of one example of this being done........

266578[/snapback]

There's a big difference in "my guess" and "therefore, it is denver's responsibity and they will have to account for it on their cap" unless you're Tom Bowlen.

That's why I said it depends on how the contract is written. You are guessing and making an absolute conclusion about a guess.

Do google a favor, and read up on the details of last year's trade of Bryan Johnson between Redskins & Bears, and New Orleans who structured an offer sheet that had a three day window between signing the offer sheet and paying the signing bonus.

There's a big difference in "my guess" and "therefore, it is denver's responsibity and they will have to account for it on their cap"  unless you're Tom Bowlen.

That's why I said it depends on how the contract is written.  You are guessing and making an absolute conclusion about a guess. 

"On Friday, Putzier signed a five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet with the Jets. The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus in 2005 and a $1.5 million roster bonus in 2006."

sure sounds like a SIGNING bonus to me.......correction, i'm not guessing.......the bonus is due on signing........

Do google a favor, and read up on the details of last year's trade of Bryan Johnson between Redskins & Bears, and New Orleans who structured an offer sheet that had a three day window between signing the offer sheet and paying the signing bonus.

your incorrect........they had a 3 day window between signing the offer sheet and paying the ROSTER bonus.......there was no signing bonus in the deal.......

see the difference now?

i stand by my statement that if denver wants to match the offer and then deal him they will eat 1M in dead cap money.......and that isn't going to happen with their beat up salary cap........

"On Friday, Putzier signed a five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet with the Jets.  The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus in 2005 and a $1.5 million roster bonus in 2006."

sure sounds like a SIGNING bonus to me.......correction, i'm not guessing.......the bonus is due on signing........

Great, I'm debating with Clarence Darrow.

Care to tell me exactly when the signing bonus is due? All you've shown is that the signing bonus is due in 2005. How do you know that the signing bonus isn't due 1, 2 or 10 days after the actual signing of the contract? Have you read the contract? Have you ever written a contract? How can you claim with such great certainty that "..the bonus is due on signing.."?

your incorrect........they had a 3 day window between signing the offer sheet and paying the ROSTER bonus.......there was no signing bonus in the deal.......

see the difference now?

i stand by my statement that if denver wants to match the offer and then deal him they will eat 1M in dead cap money.......and that isn't going to happen with their beat up salary cap........

267077[/snapback]

How can there be no signing bonus if New Orleans signed the RFA Bryan Johnson to an offer sheet. Saints just got too cute by spacing the timining of the signing bonus.

See if you can decipher the following language from the CBA

A Club is not required to have Room to execute a Player Contract with a player to whom the Club has exclusive negotiating rights if the player is assigned to another Club via a trade on the same business day as the execution of the contract, and the assignee Club has or makes Room for such Player Contract.

There is no prohibition for a team to match the offer and immediately trade the player as long as the player agrees to the trade.

The reason there is little trading of RFAs is that the market is usually set by the tender. If a player is good, the original team, will want to keep him by tendering a very high amount. If a new team wants the player, they will overbid the tender making it difficult for the old team to match.