How about Kevin Thomas for Putzier?

Putzier (TE, DEN) is a RFA - the Jets signed him to a fairly reasonable offer sheet, and if the Broncos don't match they'll get a 6th rounder in return. The Bills reportedly were interested in Putzier. Rumor has it the Broncos may match and then negotiate with the Jets on a trade that would net the Broncos a higher pick in return. Rumor also has it the Broncos may lose Kelly Herndon, another RFA who is a starting CB, to Baltimore.

So.... why not offer Kevin Thomas for Putzier? We already have Jabari Greer on the roster, and the draft is deep for late-round corners. Just a thought.

Putzier (TE, DEN) is a RFA - the Jets signed him to a fairly reasonable offer sheet, and if the Broncos don't match they'll get a 6th rounder in return.  The Bills reportedly were interested in Putzier.  Rumor has it the Broncos may match and then negotiate with the Jets on a trade that would net the Broncos a higher pick in return.  Rumor also has it the Broncos may lose Kelly Herndon, another RFA who is a starting CB, to Baltimore. 

So.... why not offer Kevin Thomas for Putzier?  We already have Jabari Greer on the roster, and the draft is deep for late-round corners.  Just a thought.

266301[/snapback]

do you have a link regarding the bills interest in him and the supposed trade between the jets/broncos?

If the Broncos were that desperate to give up one of the brightest up and coming players in the NFL for a 4th string CB, then I'd say sure.

I'm in the minority here, but I honestly think that Euhus and Campbell are fine at TE. Yes they got hurt last year, but Campbell showed he could break through at times and Euhus was looking very promising.

If we do go for a TE upgrade, there are still plenty of options out on the market. What about Freddie Jones? Or, my personal favorite, Itula Milli?

If the Broncos were that desperate to give up one of the brightest up and coming players in the NFL for a 4th string CB, then I'd say sure.

I'm in the minority here, but I honestly think that Euhus and Campbell are fine at TE.  Yes they got hurt last year, but Campbell showed he could break through at times and Euhus was looking very promising. 

If we do go for a TE upgrade, there are still plenty of options out on the market.  What about Freddie Jones?  Or, my personal favorite, Itula Milli?

266307[/snapback]

Putzier can stretch the field better than Jones, Milli, or any of the TEs on our roster. The guy can flat-out run - although I don't know much about his blocking ability.

Putzier can stretch the field better than Jones, Milli, or any of the TEs on our roster.  The guy can flat-out run  - although I don't know much about his blocking ability.

266310[/snapback]

Thats why I seriously doubt they'd give him up for a player like Thomas. We'd have to lay down some serious compensation to them if we wanted him. I'd rather get Itula Milli and save our draft picks for depth.

The links have been posted here already by others...

266305[/snapback]

i found the links, but all i see is that the jets might be interested in trading for him even if it's matched.........i don't see anything about the broncos being interested in matching and trading.......and i don't think they would because they have next to no salary cap room and trading him after matching would mean a signing bonus acceleration they can't afford.........

i think he'll end up a bronco or a jet.......

What about Freddie Jones?  Or, my personal favorite, Itula Milli?

266307[/snapback]

if the bills want freddie jones, they better move quick........he was in green bay yesterday.....sounds to me like the packers are preparing for life without franks..........that is the real man we should be after.........

i found the links, but all i see is that the jets might be interested in trading for him even if it's matched.........i don't see anything about the broncos being interested in matching and trading.......and i don't think they would because they have next to no salary cap room and trading him after matching would mean a signing bonus acceleration they can't afford.........

i think he'll end up a bronco or a jet.......

266319[/snapback]

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that you can "match-and-trade" without incurring salary cap liability.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that you can "match-and-trade" without incurring salary cap liability.

266325[/snapback]

that would be news to me.........as soon as they match that deal they are liable for the signing bonus, so i would assume that would hit the cap if he was traded........perhaps they can work out other compensation if they choose to, much like the f-tag? i really don't know, but i've never heard of an RFA being dealt right after being matched.........

I'm in the minority here, but I honestly think that Euhus and Campbell are fine at TE.  Yes they got hurt last year, but Campbell showed he could break through at times and Euhus was looking very promising. 

266307[/snapback]

Campbell was a below average blocker and an average to above-average receiver before he got hurt. I can't see how that's going to get better after an injury. I would hav e liked to see Marcus Pollard in here for a couple years and then draft a tight end who could work his way into the line up. Jason Peters is not the answer, I'm not sure about Ehus.

RTB

Putzier (TE, DEN) is a RFA - the Jets signed him to a fairly reasonable offer sheet, and if the Broncos don't match they'll get a 6th rounder in return.  The Bills reportedly were interested in Putzier.  Rumor has it the Broncos may match and then negotiate with the Jets on a trade that would net the Broncos a higher pick in return.  Rumor also has it the Broncos may lose Kelly Herndon, another RFA who is a starting CB, to Baltimore. 

So.... why not offer Kevin Thomas for Putzier?  We already have Jabari Greer on the roster, and the draft is deep for late-round corners.  Just a thought.

266301[/snapback]

I guess my Sape for Peyton is out of the question then! :huh:

I've heard the talk about the Bills' interest in Putz and how the Broncos might try to trade him to the Jets (the Broncos would be fools to let him got for just a 6th rounder when he's got a very reasonable contract offer from the Jets). My only thing about a trade is that the Broncos would take a $2.5M cap hit after matching the contract, because of the signing bonus. Unless there's some other angle here that I don't know about. And I'd favor the Bills jumping into the fray here, since they can offer a slightly higher pick in whatever round the Jets subsequently offer.

I've heard the talk about the Bills' interest in Putz and how the Broncos might try to trade him to the Jets (the Broncos would be fools to let him got for just a 6th rounder when he's got a very reasonable contract offer from the Jets).  My only thing about a trade is that the Broncos would take a $2.5M cap hit after matching the contract, because of the signing bonus.    Unless there's some other angle here that I don't know about.  And I'd favor the Bills jumping into the fray here, since they can offer a slightly higher pick in whatever round the Jets subsequently offer.

266504[/snapback]

Another factor is to what extent the TE is going to be utilized in the offense. It hasn't been featured in the past few years. Also, if JP's learning curve approximates the B'gals Palmer last year, it will take some time until he can scan the receivers, if that's the correct term - Cincy's TE completions were about half they were in '03.

that would be news to me.........as soon as they match that deal they are liable for the signing bonus, so i would assume that would hit the cap if he was traded........perhaps they can work out other compensation if they choose to, much like the f-tag? i really don't know, but i've never heard of an RFA being dealt right after being matched.........

266338[/snapback]

There would be no cap impact in a match & trade, because the new team would pay the signing bonus.

Right now, the tendered amount counts against the Broncos cap. If Broncos match & sign Putz, they bear the cap hit. If they match & immediately trade, the new team gets the cap hit.

There would be no cap impact in a match & trade, because the new team would pay the signing bonus. 

Right now, the tendered amount counts against the Broncos cap.  If Broncos match & sign Putz, they bear the cap hit.  If they match & immediately trade, the new team gets the cap hit.

266529[/snapback]

do you have an example of this happening in the past or some other form of backup? it really doesn't make sense to me and it conflicts with the defintion of RFA as i know it.........

do you have an example of this happening in the past or some other form of backup? it really doesn't make sense to me and it conflicts with the defintion of RFA as i know it.........

266533[/snapback]

Throwing right back at you. You find examples of your claim.

The concept of RFA is to give teams that groom players up to 5 years to protect their investment.

The concept of the salary cap is to allocate the money teams spend on contracts. If a team doesn't pay a signing bonus, it's not under the spirit nor the law of the CBA to penalize it for a bonus that the team did not pay.

There is nothing in the CBA that prevents a team from trading a player after the old team matched the RFA offer sheet (other than to the new team originally making the offer to the RFA, without player's approval).

It boils down to when the signing bonus is due. If the bonus is to be paid before the trade is made, the old team eats the bonus, if the bonus is paid upon or after the trade, the new team eats the bonus.

Throwing right back at you.  You find examples of your claim.

The concept of RFA is to give teams that groom players up to 5 years to protect their investment. 

The concept of the salary cap is to allocate the money teams spend on contracts.  If a team doesn't pay a signing bonus, it's not under the spirit nor the law of the CBA to penalize it for a bonus that the team did not pay.

There is nothing in the CBA that prevents a team from trading a player after the old team matched the RFA offer sheet (other than to the new team originally making the offer to the RFA, without player's approval). 

It boils down to when the signing bonus is due.  If the bonus is to be paid before the trade is made, the old team eats the bonus, if the bonus is paid upon or after the trade, the new team eats the bonus.

266562[/snapback]

sure, and my guess would be the contract is set up like most in that the signing bonus is payable as soon as the ink hits the paper.......therefore, it is denver's responsibity and they will have to account for it on their cap........

i think this is the reason you do not see RFA's traded after their contracts are matched.........like i said, i can't think of one example of this being done........

Another factor is to what extent the TE is going to be utilized in the offense.  It hasn't been featured in the past few years. Also, if JP's learning curve approximates the B'gals Palmer last year, it will take some time until he can scan the receivers, if that's the correct term - Cincy's TE completions were about half they were in '03.

266517[/snapback]

A TE can be a QB's best friend. I remember Kelly going more and more to Metzalaars as the offensive line in front of him turned to crap. Yet, i wonder exactly what type of TE Mularkey and Clements would like to have in that I don't recall Pittsburgh featuring their TE's much. Bruenner for years was there to block primarily. With the power running game, blocking is far more valuable. Yet, as I mentioned above, who knows what the brass is looking for at this point.

One thing is clear in my mind though is that it would be highly risky to trust that Campbell and Euhus will be ready and capable, especially the first half of the season.