How to beat the Patriots? (and how to handle the Fins)

Miami laid out the blueprint for how to beat the Patriots:

Offense:

1. Provide a completely different look to the previous game. At times, Jakeem Grant and Landry were lined up in the back field and received handoffs. There were several 4 WR sets with no TE!  I dont know how we can do either with our personnel though.

Against the Fins: The only way to defend WR in the backfield is for the linebackers to be very disciplined. We may have to counter 4 WR sets with an additional CB instead of a LB. Play a 4-2-5 instead of a 4-3-4. Jerry Hughes will have to win the LOS battle to get after Brady.

Defense: 

2. Dont blitz much - Brady will carve you up. Instead make sure everyone is covered to frustrate Brady. The fins' defense was winning the LOS battles. Gronk was missed. Among all the Pats wideouts, he alone has the size and athleticism to come down with 50/50 and 33/67 balls. I have no idea how to make it work with Gronk.

Against the Fins: Our guards and tackles will have their hands full with Suh and co. Seemed like Miami would be susceptible to an inside zone blocking scheme though, which the Pats were not so good at.

Hopefully, McD took good notes.

I agree with most everything except don't blitz much. Miami was blitzing and effectively. Biggest gains of the highlights were when MIA rushed 3 or 4. They brought five on the brady INT, brought six on the pass defended, brought five on the one-handed RB catch, brought five on the sack, brought three on the second INT but an uncharacteristic underthrow into double team by brady, brought five on pass defended, brought six on underthrown ball. They had one sack on rushing four and it was clearly a coverage sack. Beating Brady means heavy pressure and different looks. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

Take away Gronk coupled with the loss of Edelman and they look quite ordinary on offense. It helps if you get a lead on them as well.

We just need to figure out a way to get Gronk suspended again for Week 16!