Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If they get stuffed on 4th down it really wouldn't have been a big deal The Colts punted at what, the 27 that drive? Worst case scenario it would have been a 14 yard difference in field position

I dont think you are taking into consideration playcalling changes from being deep in your own end to being past the 25. You cant base that on the plays the Colts ran because they were deep in their own end. If the Bills got stuffed on 4th and 1 then the Colts would have been closer to mid field than their own goal line.

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

A tie does not help this team, right? 

So why not go for it? If they fail, they still have to stop the Colts, just like if they punt it. But this way, they actually have a better shot at winning the game!

Why is this so hard to understand?

Sean McDermott can do no wrong to some posters here

As has been already said, punting is doing exactly what the Colts want the Bills to do. They want the ball back. They certainly don’t want the Bills to go for it and keep moving the ball.  Why play into what the Colts want you to do? 

If you trust your defense to make a stop and get the ball back, then go for it.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Unfortunately there are a lot of coaches who would make that call in that situation and they are all wrong.  Let's not pretend what he did was something unusual, we see it every week.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont think you are taking into consideration playcalling changes from being deep in your own end to being past the 25. You cant base that on the plays the Colts ran because they were deep in their own end. If the Bills got stuffed on 4th and 1 then the Colts would have been closer to mid field than their own goal line.

Either way you slice it, it wasn't the right decision. Yes they won. Because brisette missed a wide open Hilton. Because somehow webb completed a 50 yard bomb to their 4th receiver. I bet 8 out of 10 times if he punts there, the game ends in a tie and the bills are out of the playoffs

15 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Saying it was the right call does not make it so.  Can you justify your position other than to say "it worked since we won"?  I can justify why this was a poor choice:

1)  Field conditions make punting risky

2)  Last Indy offensive possession demonstrated our defense was tiring

3)  We will execute a short punt to pin them inside the 10.  IF they punt, they will get a full kick thus giving us a longer field with less time.

4)  If he believes his team will win, he believes they can earn one yard, not put them on a field needing probably 30, or more to even get into field goal range.

If McD expects his players to trust the process, that requires him to trust in them too.  Any success we have will not be solely his doing.  He needs to create a culture where he puts faith in his men and shows that he expects them to convert in situations like that. 

Today I found that punt choice rather arrogant on his part.  Instead of letting them win, it highlights HIS choice (good, or bad).  The risk of losing the team by almost literally punting away the season, is not undone by a miracle catch by Thompson and a great finishing run by McCoy.  There is NO WAY McDermott had those plays in the back of his mind when he chose to punt.

I'm not saying he cannot make this team successful, but he needs to be careful not to sabotage himself by trying to prove how smart he is.

Nail meet hammer (or vice versa). 

Just now, Rico said:

I didn't like that call at all, but no apologies are required for a Bills win.

We are not debating the merits of winning the game; we are debating the merits of the coach's decision to punt under those circumstances.

McD basically held up a giant sign, for anyone who knows how to read, saying "I have no idea what I am doing."

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

A tie does not help this team, right? 

So why not go for it? If they fail, they still have to stop the Colts, just like if they punt it. But this way, they actually have a better shot at winning the game!

Why is this so hard to understand?

Because there are different ways to look at it. I would have gone for it but he proved that his way worked too. Obviously you still want to grill him for doing something you didnt like. It worked out how he thought it would....grill away.

2 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Sure... The had to score a touchdown to win. If they punt and hold them then they only have to kick a field goal to win. It was easy to see the ball would stick where it landed on the punt so it is reasonable to think they would be pinned deep. Colton Schmidt is a great punter. It is also reasonable to think that the Colts would throw the ball to try to win so there would be plenty of time for a second Bills drive. The Bills defense is the better unit and they could force a turnover. There's a bunch of other reasons too but that should be sufficient. 

I'm mostly glad you at least gave an explanation other than blind faith, or to simply say it worked, so it was right.

They had executed the punts well up to that point, so that was the weakest of my points to be sure.  A bad snap there though and the colts are likely in Bills territory to start a drive.

Personally, I think the Colts choice to throw the ball was also pretty dumb, especially given the outcome of the last drive and having two time outs and no need to score a TD.

Like I said, I really hope McDermott works out.  Truth be told I was more excited about his hiring than Marv Levy back in the day and that worked out better than I expected, so I'll reserve judgement. 

The thing that worries me is what I fell is arrogance in his decision making.  I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know exactly how committed these players are to him.  If they are all in, then great and if you make a questionable call, they have your back.  If not, those decisions are going to become more and more difficult to defend until you've lost the room.

Just sayin'

13 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

He played it conservatively and it worked out for him. I dont think it was that bad of a call. If the Bills didnt convert and the Colts dont have that far to go for field goal range. They kicked one from 40 yards earlier. 

Going in the other direction which was with the wind.

10 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

actually I am not so sure he does. The Bills punted decently all game and sometimes it is harder to gain one yard when everyone in the stadium knows your running the ball. 

Really????Hmmm how many people within the LOS on Shadys TD run. 

It WAS A HORRIBLE call

3 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Because there are different ways to look at it. I would have gone for it but he proved that his way worked too. Obviously you still want to grill him for doing something you didnt like. It worked out how he thought it would....grill away.

The fact that McD's decision resulted in a win, in this particular game, doesn't make his decision correct.

You understand that, right?

Edited by Fadingpain

18 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I am not supporting the call. However, "lowered the probability?" I will assume you have some actual data versus hyperbole being pulled out of your arse.

Sure go look at the win probability chart on espn that tracks the game play by play.  Our chances of winning the game were much lower by the time we got the ball back compared to when it was 4th and 1.

And its not rocket science.  The chances of converting a 4th and 1 and getting 10-15 yards is a lot better than punting, getting a three and out, and driving 60-70 yards.  It took the colts missing a wide open received when they had the ball, a bomb, and a long run. 

Edited by Crayola64